• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CubbyChowder
    replied
    Originally posted by gnmzl View Post
    Oh man! What an emotional rollercoaster you put me through
    I've been reading your posts from the first roundie revival and was so impressed with your skills and so sad to see it go, then Golden Boy showed up and that was so great to see progress too, then you obviously sold it and then just the other day reading someone's thread I see you posted there and your new signature and I'm like "wait wut, that was before, did I travel back in time" and now this thread shows up.
    The fact it's m20 swapped already and a twin to the previous roundie makes me want to scream out of joy in my office coworkers' faces.
    So excited to see the progress on the car and the 35mm documentation.
    So great. No homo though
    Haha! Too funny.

Yeah it could definitely cause confusion to those who are familiar with the original Roundie Revival. I just really liked the name, plus it's my redemption build so it felt fitting to just reuse the name again. After all, I am reviving a Roundie :)

Glad you're following along!

Originally posted by wworm View Post
    liar
    I'm full homo for this thread
    :rofl:

Originally posted by dillon7 View Post
    Oh man, what a great surprise. Your first build thread was one of my all time favorites. Feeling super nostalgic right now haha

Looking forward to this.

Also, what's the story behind the roundie revival art piece in your signature? Something you fabricated?
    Haha dude right back at you, I always enjoyed your build/updates. I miss the forum days before Instagram/Facebook groups. Stoked that this forum is still super active though.

It's a backlit sign that I built to use in the video series. I had the logo plasma cut out of some stainless steel I had laying around and layered the back with a white acrylic sheeting and painted the tail light parts. Then built a "box" out of maple which houses the LEDs and built some tiny little midcentury modern looking legs for it. I'm actually pretty stoked on how it all turned out! It's battery powered and uses a remote to turn on/off. It was a lot of work building the wooden rear box to match the curves of the sign.

Originally posted by mila325 View Post
    I miss your garage build thread also. I enjoyed reading that one.
    Damn, I haven't updated that thread in years. So much has changed since then. Really like that forum and whole crowd over there, might have to revisit soon. Wouldn't even know where to start with shop updates though haha.
    Last edited by CubbyChowder; 02-21-2019, 10:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mila325
    replied
    I miss your garage build thread also. I enjoyed reading that one.

Leave a comment:

• dillon7
    replied
    Oh man, what a great surprise. Your first build thread was one of my all time favorites. Feeling super nostalgic right now haha

Looking forward to this.

Also, what's the story behind the roundie revival art piece in your signature? Something you fabricated?

Leave a comment:

• wworm
    replied
    lol memelon

Leave a comment:

• Melon
    replied
    liar

Leave a comment:

• wworm
    replied
    Originally posted by gnmzl View Post
    So great. No homo though
    liar

Leave a comment:

• CYN BMR
    replied
    looking forward to this one

Leave a comment:

• gnmzl
    replied
    Oh man! What an emotional rollercoaster you put me through
    I've been reading your posts from the first roundie revival and was so impressed with your skills and so sad to see it go, then Golden Boy showed up and that was so great to see progress too, then you obviously sold it and then just the other day reading someone's thread I see you posted there and your new signature and I'm like "wait wut, that was before, did I travel back in time" and now this thread shows up.
    The fact it's m20 swapped already and a twin to the previous roundie makes me want to scream out of joy in my office coworkers' faces.
    So excited to see the progress on the car and the 35mm documentation.
    So great. No homo though

Leave a comment:

• CubbyChowder
    replied
    Originally posted by rzerob View Post
    I remember when you started your first roundie revival. I don't think I was a forum member at the time but had it saved on my favorites on my computer. It was sad you had to let that car go and end the build. So I am glad to see you getting another chance. I look forward to seeing what you do this time.

By any chance are you going with a similar wheel setup as the last one? All blacked out with wide lips?
    Thanks man. That's awesome you were around for the first one, yeah letting it go sucked.

This build will be a lot more modest than the first one. Solid non-metallic color, stock body, some deleted trim/side markers and some 13x6 BBS Mahles. That's my vision for it. I did love those all black BBS RM's though, they turned out so rad. I still scroll deep into my Instagram archives sometimes just to look at them again from time to time.

Leave a comment:

• rzerob
    replied
    I remember when you started your first roundie revival. I don't think I was a forum member at the time but had it saved on my favorites on my computer. It was sad you had to let that car go and end the build. So I am glad to see you getting another chance. I look forward to seeing what you do this time.

By any chance are you going with a similar wheel setup as the last one? All blacked out with wide lips?

Leave a comment:

• CubbyChowder
    replied
    Originally posted by sampayne View Post
    Looking forward to more progress. What are you shooting with ?
    Nikon FM with 50mm f/2

Film used for those first pics was Kodak Portra 160. I ordered some Kodak ColorPlus 200 and FujiFilm Pro 400H to try out next. My next roll will be the ColorPlus 200.

Leave a comment:

• sampayne
    replied
    Looking forward to more progress. What are you shooting with ?

Leave a comment:

• CubbyChowder
    replied
    Thanks everyone! I'd like to reply to everyone individually but that might get lengthy. I'm stoked to see people are interested in the build and feeling the 35mm film idea.

Originally posted by Melon View Post
    I have those same craftsman wrenches, the closed end works really well on torx head bolts in tight spaces.
    Originally posted by noid View Post
    I absolutely hate spline drive wrenches, except for use on spline drive fasteners.

When using them on anything else, its a great way to gouge fasteners.
    Those wrenches are sort of a love/hate for me. Melon, I agree, they work great on torx head bolts and I've had plenty of occasions where I was happy I had them, and they've held up well in the 5+ years I've owned them with pretty frequent use. On the other hand, I've also had them damage/round over bolt heads, slip off easily (which sucks when you're cranking down on it pretty good and end up punching sharp metal edges) and they're pretty thick so there are a lot of instances where they flat out won't work.

awesome. I shoot 35mm and always wanted to do a build thread on something from the 70s documented only in film. This will be super sick to follow, and you can use it to see how much better you've gotten at shooting film in one thread! Are you editing these at all or just uploading scans straight up?
    Nice man! It seems fitting for the era. Also, seeing photo improvements throughout the build is exactly what I'm hoping for! I'm planning on keeping the photos 100% genuine, the photos I posted were the original files with no editing, and I want to keep it that way so I can learn from my mistakes.

The only exception I'll make is if an important picture to showing progress on the build needs a little manipulation to help clarify what I'm explaining, in which case I will note that the photo was edited for clarity. Will do my best to avoid that scenario though.

Leave a comment:

• Melon
    replied
    I haven't said it, but I'm also looking forward to this.

Leave a comment:

• Albie325
    replied
    Always loved a nice 2002, looking forward to this one!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X