No announcement yet.

$500 325i Vert Build: M52 Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Took my head off for machining on Saturday and was pleasantly surprised at how clean it was. I know I never want to go above 500WTQ so I have no need for a forged rotating assembly, but I do plan to have a shop hone and replace rings/bearings. Plenty of parts have arrived, I'm hoping to have the head rebuilt and potentially pull the M20 over Christmas. Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

Got a lot done this past week. Got the head back from the machine shop and got to work.

ARP Head studs
      New head gasket and spacer
      New chains and all guides and tensioners
      New front seal and crank bolt
      New water pump & thermostat
      Rebuilt oil pump
      New exhaust studs
      Set the timing
      Had to helicoil a stripped stud on the exhaust cam (not a fun time)
      Mounted RSI manifold

I wanted to rebuild the vanos, but ECS sent me two 17mm shaved sockets rather than a 17 and an 18, so I'm waiting on that. They were very helpful in getting another one sent out.

Plenty more engine work to come. Pictures below
      Last edited by JRHemmen; 12-30-2019, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Comment

Didn't realize how long its been since I last posted. I'll update with pictures when I can, but I've done the following.

Installed new VANOS from DrVanos
          Rebuilt oil pump
          Swapped front sump pan
          Welded bung for turbo oil drain to pan
          Installed RSI turbo manifold
          Wired harness to engine (Converted to OBD1)
          Chase Bays vanos oil line + new banjo bolt for turbo oil feed
          Gapped and installed NGK 4554 plugs

Finally got tires mounted on the Style 5's, but I need to order spacers since they hit the calipers in the front.
          I'm probably forgetting something on the engine, but it's almost done! I had some major setbacks along the way that needed addressed (snapped a camshaft, stripped oil pan and vanos bolts, having to pull the head again, etc.), but it finally feels like I'm making progress again.

The next step is to figure out plumbing and get the M50 manifold on for good before finally taking it off the stand to put on the clutch and flywheel.

Comment

Made some real headway this weekend.

Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro using Tapatalk
            Last edited by JRHemmen; 03-23-2020, 09:21 AM.

Comment

I started to shave the bay this weekend in preparation for the new engine. I pulled the wire harness and rewrapped it, mounted the G260 to the M52, and had the subframe reinforced. The next steps are to install my ChaseBays BBE and ABS kits, finish shaving/painting, and drop in the new engine.

​ ​
              Click image for larger version  Name:	img_20200402_005957.jpg Views:	0 Size:	128.5 KB ID:	9915569
              Last edited by JRHemmen; 04-05-2020, 09:23 PM.

Comment

I'm keen to do a lot of the things you've posted here. Interested to know more about why/how you went about rewrapping your harness. To make it look nicer or did you do some re-routing as well to hide parts of it?

Any further pics on the shaving ?

Comment

Originally posted by NORBY View Post
                  I'm keen to do a lot of the things you've posted here. Interested to know more about why/how you went about rewrapping your harness. To make it look nicer or did you do some re-routing as well to hide parts of it?

Any further pics on the shaving ?
                  Hey, it was mostly to clean up the harness since the old tape was crumbling off. I can't recommend tessa tape enough, and high temp tessa tape for the engine bay. It's like a cloth electrical tape that isn't as sticky to deal with. I don't plan to tuck the harness, though I did separate things that won't be used. I split the ABS wires from the main loom and wrapped them independently so they can be tucked out of the way somewhere. I didn't want to cut too many wires in the case that I change my mind about something, but I will probably cut the wires for the AC that aren't being used anymore.

As far as shaving goes, I cut off the unused brackets and ground the seam sealer down smooth using a flap disk and cutoff wheels, then used body filler (rage ultra) to smooth it all out. I sprayed etch primer over everything and plan to go back and clean up any spots that I missed. I'm not too concerned with the passenger side as it'll be covered with gold tape for heat insulation. I'll attach a few more pictures of the process for you here.

Click image for larger version  Name:	img_20200403_193210.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.6 KB ID:	9915589Click image for larger version  Name:	img_20200403_182456.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.5 KB ID:	9915590​ Click image for larger version  Name:	img_20200404_150817.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.1 KB ID:	9915591

Comment

Awesome, thanks for that! My friends is a sales rep for Tessa so I'll get some of that off him - my loom is a mess and the whole thing needs to be re-done from the P.O so it's a good time to give it a crack.

The shaving of the bay looks awesome, are you planning on filling the holes on the two 'front' sections near where the headlights are?

Comment

Originally posted by NORBY View Post
                      are you planning on filling the holes on the two 'front' sections near where the headlights are?
                      I thought about it, but I feel like it's more work than I feel like doing to do it right. Maybe one day in the future if it starts to bother me. I'm struggling to find the balance between building to my goals and getting the engine in so I can drive the thing. Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

Loving the way this car is turning out! Any pics with the new wheels on? Looks great so far

Comment

Originally posted by iXguido View Post
                          Loving the way this car is turning out! Any pics with the new wheels on? Looks great so far
                          Thank you! Not the best picture, but here's right after I put the wheels on. Still need to work on fitment. Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

Looking great! how's the seating height with the Corbeaus compared to stock? I want a pair for my vert but don't know If I need the shaved base or not

Comment

Originally posted by ZeeVaughn View Post
                              Looking great! how's the seating height with the Corbeaus compared to stock? I want a pair for my vert but don't know If I need the shaved base or not
                              So I didn't go with the shaved base, I ripped the stock seats out the day I bought the car and this is my first E30 so I can't really compare, but I think they fit fine and I'm 6'3". I haven't actually haven't sat in it with the top up but my head is definitely below the top of the windscreen frame. Sorry that's not much help! Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

The day has finally arrived!! I had a mini heart attack when I went to bolt up the driveshaft and forgot it was adjustable, the trans sits about an inch or so further forward with my new setup. Besides the driveshaft panic, install went off without a hitch. Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X