Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bottom Mount M20 Turbo Widebody... scratch that, N54?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bottom Mount M20 Turbo Widebody... scratch that, N54?

This project is the flagship vehicle of our baby business Old Spool Performance.
    Our goal is to make a cool race car that shows off our quality work. Mostly fabrication.

Here it is before E30 Octoberfest where she caught on fire and changed forever.

It was running a top mount turbo which caught fire at the end of the track day.
    luckily the damage wasnt too bad.
    After that and in between industrial projects the tear down started.

Last edited by silnc; 10-17-2019, 07:44 AM.

Had an M42 customer that wanted a stainless exhaust.

Comment

This was the first attempt at an engine mount for a bottom mount turbo, it ended up being too limited and was changed.

We got in the widebody kit and started mocking for motivation.
      I know the pandem doesn't peel everyone's banana, but i think it looks pretty aggressive.

Some light shaving and putting in a removable front.

Comment

Started working on a full cage.

cutting more stuff (nvm that MEK there) :D

Comment

more cage building.

cage done and body panels being fitted.

Comment

Had a customer that needed e30 coilovers welded on.

Made an aluminum delete for the bay and got to play with a bead roller.

A nice before and after

Got rid of the tire well.

Comment

Finally got some stickers for the logo I designed.

Had to take a little break from the E30 to do a 370z cage. Tig Chromoly :D

Comment

Latest developements are the bottom mount manifold. Got to use expensive legos to make it equal length.

Currently tacked like this, Fits a t3 turbo under there (not pictured) with a little bit of clearance.

Figuring out other things, there will be more to come soon. Also gathering interest in this manifold in another thread.

Comment

Impressive project!

What kind of benefits do you expect from a bottom mount turbo? It seems like the top mount manifolds tend to suffer fatigue cracking due to the cantilever design. Your manifold hugs the turbo pretty close to the engine so I could see some stress being alleviated there.

Comment

Originally posted by zwill23 View Post
                    Impressive project!

What kind of benefits do you expect from a bottom mount turbo? It seems like the top mount manifolds tend to suffer fatigue cracking due to the cantilever design. Your manifold hugs the turbo pretty close to the engine so I could see some stress being alleviated there.
                    Thanks! I think the main goal is to better control the heat, tuck things better and make it look pretty. I'm thinking it's something that hasn't been done a lot and could be made into a viable option for people who want to go turbo.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Comment

Great work so far.

In for updates!

Comment

Originally posted by silnc View Post
                        Thanks! I think the main goal is to better control the heat, tuck things better and make it look pretty. I'm thinking it's something that hasn't been done a lot and could be made into a viable option for people who want to go turbo.

Very cool, if it has been done I haven't seen it before! Seems like it gives you some extra wiggle room for the equal length runners too.

In for updates as well!

Comment

Starting to weld up the runners. Back purged of course. This mess is killing me lol.

Comment

Those expensive legos look like a cool tool to have around. Great work so far OP!

Comment

Here is a look at how a t3 fits

Comment

Working...
                              X