No announcement yet.

Labor of love from Australia - Malachtgrun convertible running restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will make such a difference with the new dash in. It's not a terribly complicated job but just take your time, make sure to take plenty of pictures to remember how everything goes back together, and use some masking tape to label all your wiring looms/switches.
    '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Albie325 View Post
      Will make such a difference with the new dash in. It's not a terribly complicated job but just take your time, make sure to take plenty of pictures to remember how everything goes back together, and use some masking tape to label all your wiring looms/switches.
      Thx for the words of encouragement!

The good thing is when I replaced the HVAC facia - I went slightly OCD with the labelling.

Aaaand the dash came out last night.

The usual clean-up of the crumbly HVAC gasket and 30+ years of dust in the ductwork is required.
      Last edited by Tzantushka; 09-27-2021, 07:51 PM.
      E30 320i vert
      But daily drive is Volvo V60 Polestar

Comment

The good news is the re-skinned dash is in.
        In the process, I did discover there is a difference in dashboards that affects vert owners.

And here's something new I learnt...
        Apart from the last few production runs of replacement dashboards (E36 rubberised material & grain), I thought E30 dashboards were all the same.

The donor re-skinned dash was from an early E30.
        I could tell as the original dash vents had the early style whole markings (solid white dot instead of an 'o' to indicate the closed position).
        Plus the production date on the dashboard... 8)

When the reskinned dash went into the car, it wouldn't sit as far forward.
        It was fouling on the LH & RH side where the A pillar and firewall meet.

As it turns out, comparing the dashboards side by side, you can see the convertible dash has an extra cut-out for the LH & RH brackets.
        Can only only assume that this is due to the extra thickness pillar-firewall bulkhead (vert specific reinforcement)

Donor dashboard from early model car

Vert specific dash

I can only assume that BMW may have slightly altered E30 dashboards for facelift cars when the convertible was introduced into the range.
        In other words, YES you can fit a coupe/sedan/touring dash into a convertible - BUT needs to come from a facelift car...

Oh yes, I made it fit by tracing and trimming off the mounting brackets on the donor dash to match the original dash.

Photos to come, but makes the car feel like a million bucks.
        E30 320i vert

Comment

Technically, we're still in COVID-19 lockdown.
          But allowed to travel up to 15 km (9 mi.) from home...
          The weather was nice and a great excuse to go for a drive, check everything works (and take the family for a walk).

Because we like pics - couple of photos of the finished dashboard swap....

(full size here)

(full size here)

This is one of those 'cosmetic fixes' but makes a huge difference and puts a smile on your face
          E30 320i vert

Comment

Working...
          X