Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1992 BMW convertible

Hello all,

This is my 1992 BMW convertible I just picked up last night. First E30 and first BMW I've ever owned. I have big plans (don't we all) but I have a habit of getting ahead of myself so I plan on focusing on the immediate needs first while I start collecting parts.

This will be more of an ongoing journal to keep track of my progress for myself, but I enjoy using forums more than just posting on instagram or facebook.

Anyway here's when I pulled up to the sellers house, car was as I expected, little radiator leak and the battery was shot but no major dents and no rust.

So I bought it and here we are on the sellers street heading home with a leaky radiator.

Naturally had to stop for fuel which gave me the opportunity to take slightly better photos. My buddy in the background unsure on this tiny car, you can see my daily driver behind it.

Got it to it's home and took some better photos today. Quite a bit of work ahead of me.

The interior

First impressions;

The gear shifter is hard to get into gear, previous owner said he put a new clutch in so maybe I need to adjust the shifter or possibly rebuild it.
    Definitely needs a new top.
    Needs a really good detail.
    Pulls to the right a bit.

Overall car was a blast to drive, and it felt super tiny on the road haha. I have spent a some time browsing the forums and am learning as much as I can on these cars. Any advice/tips are greatly appreciated.

Nice car! Always glad to see another member join and help keep this forum alive. Any plans on keeping the 4 banger? swapping in something more "fun"? Daily or weekend warrior?
    85% of the time i have no idea what I'm doing

Comment

Originally posted by Slybeanx View Post
      Nice car! Always glad to see another member join and help keep this forum alive. Any plans on keeping the 4 banger? swapping in something more "fun"? Daily or weekend warrior?
      Thanks!

Yeah I've always been a huge fan of forums, and I'm pretty bummed that they seem to be dying off now. Scrolling through Instagram and Facebook is cool and all but nothing feels quite like a story on a forum. Plus the amount of info and knowledge is incredible.

For now, I think I'll be keeping whatever engines in here, seems to run pretty good but maybe in a few months some kind of V8 or turbo 6 swap. Definitely a weekend warrior.

Comment

Welcome, Alex and congrats on the purchase. Great color btw!

Forums dont need to die but, like everything else, they do need to evolve. Hopefully our admin will find a way to integrate the platforms together and we will be stronger for it.
        ------------------------------------
        01.5 S4 Avant - Sold
        88 325iS - In pieces
        91 e34 - Totaled by some dumbass
        90 325i - Daily
        06 e91 - Sold

feedback thread

Comment

Originally posted by fitswell View Post
          Welcome, Alex and congrats on the purchase. Great color btw!

Forums dont need to die but, like everything else, they do need to evolve. Hopefully our admin will find a way to integrate the platforms together and we will be stronger for it.
          Thanks! I'm a big fan of the color. I agree on the forums.

Comment

Well no updates as of yet.

Long story short, I'm moving in a couple months so I'm fighting the urge to bring the car home and start tearing into it.

I've got it parked here at the shop and that definitely helps with me not messing with it.

I keep going back and forth on what should be the first order of business, I'm open to advice here.

1. Pull the engine out and start prepping for the swap.
            2. Order my suspension up and do that.
            3. Fix the massive oil leak that's developed and rebuild the shifter(PO said there's a new clutch/flywheel setup so need to check that as well).
            4. Give up before I start.

As of right now, I'm just putting money aside for stuff till I move.

I hate doing things twice so I'm trying to pre-plan my project here. I've had other projects spiral out of control before and I'm sure this will a bit also but I'm trying to curb that as much as possible.

Comment

Congrats!

Not sure how rainy it is in AZ but all it takes is one day of rain to see how leaky your top is. Go buy a waterproof car cover just in case. Pull the tape and cloth from the rear window, It would look 100x's better without it. Find some basket weave, it'll give it a sportier look.
              sigpic

Comment

Gletscherblau is a lovely color - best of luck with the project.
                '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by Mike36 View Post
                  Congrats!

Not sure how rainy it is in AZ but all it takes is one day of rain to see how leaky your top is. Go buy a waterproof car cover just in case. Pull the tape and cloth from the rear window, It would look 100x's better without it. Find some basket weave, it'll give it a sportier look.
                  Actually just rained ha! I've got it wrapped with crash wrap right now to try and minimize it until I can get it into the new garage. Once I start on it, it'll be a start to finish build.

Comment

Originally posted by e30austin View Post
                    Gletscherblau is a lovely color - best of luck with the project.
                    My original plan included a repaint but I'm really starting to like this color.

Comment

Working...
                    X