Econti's garbage. 318is resto w/ built M42, E36 drift car, and others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Econti's garbage. 318is resto w/ built M42, E36 drift car, and others

So. I did have a previous fairly lengthy thread but tinypic went broke so all my pics got deleted and I couldn't be bothered doing like 20 pages again.
    So here's the rundown:

Found a '91 318is for sale from someone on an image board. Lazurblau in colour, and cheap. He lived 1000km away. I was a near broke 19 year old. This was in 2014.

These cars are quite rare down here in Aus, so couldn't risk the chance. Threw down deposit, booked plane tickets. Picked up car. It was a nugget.

Somehow made it home despite doing 180kmh rips in an unmaintained shitbox. Over the next few years, went through basically all the necessary bits. Did E46 purple tag rack conversion, medium case LSD, Ksport coil overs, brakes, steering wheel, and all necessary maintenance etc etc etc I'm trying to compress many many hours and dollars into a few sentences you all know how it goes.
    This is how it looked for most of its life; Klutch SL1s in 16x8 +15. I did run it a lot lower than in the pics, but hot damn did it handle well. With all the work I had done it was quite a formidable force on the local windy road. Obviously not much power compared to the Japanese cars that all my mates had, but man was it excellent as a driver's learning tool.

I absolutely loved and cherished that car, I spent so much time and it was truly a friend to me. I don't think it ever actually broke down to the point where I couldn't drive it. I flogged the piss out of it every single time I drove it and it just kept on rewarding me, and pushing me to drive better.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE DISASTER
    One morning I was woken up by my dad, who said a tree had hit the car. I went outside to find this:

Won't lie, I cried when I saw it. I never cry, but that day I did. I was gutted.
    What happened is a removalist truck with a container on the back hit the branch that hung out over the road and it was tossed about 5m forward onto the car.
    They drove off and denied fault, to the point of signing a statutory declaration saying they didn't do it. I did get money back from insurance, but it was a hard fight.

The car sat for a few years while I figured out what to do. In the mean time I had a R32 GTST which cost a lot of money and was still a shitbox. I hated that car yet poured cash into it. Massive regret.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE REBIRTH
    (no not that kind of rebirth)
    In this country despite the car being an insurance write off, it's too old to go on the written off vehicle register, so can be freely repaired and registered, with a completely clean record.

I eventually found a shop that I trusted, and so this happened:

Outer C pillar skin from a donor car, original inner skin, roof perfectly aligned. The day it came home was one of the happiest of my life. Quite cheap to get done, too.

I then pulled the motor, as the real fun was about to begin. I had always dreamed of doing a proper turbo build, so here we go!

I then bought a rotisserie off the internet:

And stripped off everything.

After that, I set about removing the under body seal. DO NOT DO THIS EVER IT SUCKS. Took me like 140h of wire wheeling to get to this point.

I also spot welded the strut towers and pulled all the seam sealer off it but I don't have any pics.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE PLAN - CURRENT SITUATION

All the previous stuff happened quite a few years ago. I was delayed by a year due to my dad having terminal brain cancer, which sucked a lot of money out of me and all my time. However one of his final wishes was for me to finish the car, so every since he lost his fight I've been throwing myself into doing it. He was the reason for my love of cars, and my knowledge of working on them. He always saw how much I loved this E30, and he himself was a big fan of it, so it's as much a project for his memory as it is for my enjoyment.

The car as it sits isn't pretty. I had the car media blasted, which didn't work too well due to not being able to throw primer on it quickly enough, so it looks like doodoo at the moment.
    My father in law is doing some little rust repairs on it, nothing super drastic. I do have a brand new OEM radiator support though, which he will hopefully fit. Mine isn't bad, but it's not good.

ENGINE - FUN BITS

It's a M42, bored out a lil, with JE pistons, SP conrods, stock 1.8 crank. ARP hardware throughout.
    Oversized head studs, CAT cams, forward facing intake plenum, and a spaghetti manifold for a Garret GTX2860 Gen 2. It should have quite a bit of sauce.
    I aim to create a nice and responsive street car (hence the relatively small turbo) that will still have really good power but most importantly be dead nuts reliable. Thing's built for 30-40psi, so it'll be fun to see where I end up.

I also have some engine mounts made that stand it a little more upright so I can run a G260 at the factory angle. Nice bit of kit.

So, the next few months will bring:
    1. Completed rust repair, front rad support swap
    2. Media blast the body and prime
    3. Throw some colour down on the body. Will be staying Lazurblau metallic. All other colours go home you are not welcome here
    4. Finish putting the engine together - getting some bits vapour blasted soon, need a head gasket and all other gaskets and seals
    5. Put engine in engine bay, make sure I don't need to cut or weld anything else, remove engine and do final paint
    6. Put everything else together and do some big fucking burnouts

Might be soon, might not be soon, who knows. At some point I'll finish the damn thing. Please come with me on this adventure.

I also have a youtube channel, so if you like watching people do things go have a peep. We do lots of other fun BMW stuff too.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Thank you for following my ramblings.
    Last edited by econti; 08-01-2020, 11:37 PM.
    sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Shame about the pics.

Glad to see you back.
    E30 320i vert
    But daily drive is Volvo V60 Polestar

Comment

Sorry to hear about your father but sub'd to the new thread. Also that's a wild exhaust manifold, sorta looks like a pain to put on though. A GTX2860 will be nice and responsive! What compression are you going for?
      -Dee
      5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
      IG: @deebelmont

Comment

Originally posted by ccsdo5 View Post
        Sorry to hear about your father but sub'd to the new thread. Also that's a wild exhaust manifold, sorta looks like a pain to put on though. A GTX2860 will be nice and responsive! What compression are you going for?
        It's surprisingly easy, with a small flexi drive a 1/2in socket fits on almost all of them, if I had a 1/4 or 3/8 then it would be simple as. All the other joins are V band so I can easily just put the bare manifold on, then fit up the rest. Don't have a wastegate yet though so should get one soon.

Ideally around 9-9.3:1, not sure where it'll end up as I didn't order the pistons but anywhere around there will be nice. I wanted enough squish that it's not dogshit to drive off boost, but not so high that I can't make good power on our shitty pump fuel.
        sigpic

Comment

Finally got time to weld in the diff mount, it's a bracket that a local guy makes to suit E36 diff hat. It's a really shitty photo but my welding is fine, before anyone comments. It has tabs that sit on the flat side of the chassis rail.

I also ordered some of my fuel system bits, got some 1650cc injectors, pressure regulator, a wastegate (not fuel obviously) and no pics but a Nuke fuel rail.

I'm also keeping a track of how many hours and dollars I'm spending.
          So far I'm at 132 hours total, which is 132 hours of actual work, I don't start the clock when I think about doing work, that's actual tool time.
          Currently at around $17,000 not including purchase of the car. Probably won't keep you updated on cost as it's a bit depressing.
          sigpic

Comment

Oh wow that bracket would've saved me quite a bit of time! Nice work. Looks like it'll be a great build when done.
            '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
            Shadetree30

Comment

Finally did my order from Golebys. This meant I could actually fit the wastegate and complete the manifold mock up. It was made to suit a gen 4 turbosmart hypergate 45, they came out with the Gen 5 a little while ago which is apparently better but has the same size. I was slightly nervous that it wouldn't fit but it was fine.

Also from Golebys I got my injectors, flow matched Bosch 1650s...

I also found a local guy who had a Nuke M42 rail in stock which is great. They have a much larger internal diameter and take a -8AN fitting which is great as the fuel pressure reg I got takes -6AN, which means I'm only keeping one style of fitting in the bay, even though they are different sizes.

Mocked up the injectors with the length extenders in the intake manifold. Pro tip for easy fitment of the O rings smear a little vaseline on them. They go straight in and out rather than tearing O rings like it can do if you do it dry.

Now, brackets for the rail: It has small threaded holes on the injector side of it, and my manifold also has threaded holes, so that part is OK. However my question is this: Which one do you guys reckon would be a better go? Little bracket or big bracket? Obviously it all sits behind the rail so aesthetics aren't important.

Little bracket:

Big bracket:

How the big one would sit behind the rail, can see the manifold bolt hole on the right side and the tab that goes to behind the rail:

Obviously there would be a symmetrical tab on the other side. I couldn't be bothered to make another bit of cardboard as I have the arts and crafts skill of a 3 year old and using scissors to a competent level is beyond my abilities.
              sigpic

Comment

Thats a nice looking manifold.
                Silly question, why a flex joint in an otherwise rigid setup? Do you need some wiggle room to get the waste gate attached?
                88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

Originally posted by burkey001 View Post
                  Silly question, why a flex joint in an otherwise rigid setup? Do you need some wiggle room to get the waste gate attached?
                  It'll all expand at a different rate when it gets hot as that's just the nature of things, so the flex keeps welds from cracking.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by burkey001 View Post
                    imagine how hot the front pipe of the wastegate gets while it closed
                    We're out there in here.

Comment

Not only heat expansion, but you ever try bolting a 90° gate in a rigid setup?

Everything looks great so far!

I like the tidbit about Vaseline. Typically when working on cars at work, I grab the oil dip stick and use the drop of oil on the end for o-rings. :)
                      john@m20guru.com
                      Links:
                      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

this is sick. first time i've seen a big turbo m42 build now that i think of it.

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                          I like the tidbit about Vaseline. Typically when working on cars at work, I grab the oil dip stick and use the drop of oil on the end for o-rings. :)
                          Good bit about vaso is that it stays on the O ring and doesn't dry out or wear off, so even a ways down the track if the component is still dry i.e. for test fitting, its still nice and supple.

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                          this is sick. first time i've seen a big turbo m42 build now that i think of it.
                          It's certainly not big turbo, but it's definitely big spec engine build wise compared to most. Another guy on here has a wagon in Europe (I forget his username) with a bigger whirler that's making 600rwhp or some shit now that's pretty crazy
                          sigpic

Comment

Big ish update:

Made the fuel rail brackets, only primed so far

Got the rocker cover, timing covers (upper x1 and lower x2), oil housing, thermostat housing vapour blasted:

The outer lower timing cover had some pitting on the water pump ports

So I got this, which as far as I can tell is basically just JB Weld but an Australian version

And with it I've filled the holes, and once cured in 18 hours ish I'll sand it back with a small bit in my drill.

Also in about 18 hours, the shell will be coming back from the media blaster for the second time... The first time it was done the actual job was good but we didn't have time to prime it, as it was in my driveway done by a mobile guy. As a result it got flash rust and nothing I could do would get rid of it.
                            So I just bit the bullet and got it trucked off to an actual shop and done there.

I had been preferring the mobile option as I was told rotisseries are very hard to move, but that was certainly not the case... An actual switched on towie had it on the truck as fast as a normal car, I drove behind it and it was carried as gently as I would drive myself.

Now for non-E30 news:

A little while ago I bought a E36 325 nugget drift car. It's just sat on my lawn for a few months but I decided to finally do something with it. So I've ordered all the shit to do E46 arms in the front as well as some ebay primo boss kit and hub adapter.
                            Car itself started as a 318i and was swapped to a m50tub25, welded diff, maxspeedingrods coilovers, bucket seat, and a rowdy ass straight pipe. Should be fun.

My prize Ducati, a 888 Superbike from 1992, was stolen recently, which broke my heart. I worked so hard for it, and it was my therapy through dad's illness and death. They are stupid rare and my all time dream bike. Police are working hard and hopefully it will be found soon as they have a suspect for the case.

As a result my '94 600ss that has been languishing unridden for a little while is going to get some attention. A few years back I did a resto on it including a front fork, brake and front and rear wheel off another bike. Unfortunately because it's a 600 it's slow as piss compared to most other bikes.

So I took a punt on a mystery motor out of a '01 900 Monster, which hardware wise is a bolt in swap.
                            Electrics are a lot harder though as it's injected, so I've got my work cut out for me to fit it.

But it looks like the punt paid off as it's super clean inside as far as I can tell. Can't have done many km.

And so ends another blog post. Life sucks, but it keeps going.
                            sigpic

Comment

Dang that is some terrible luck, E30 crushed by a tree, dream bike stolen, sorry to hear about that. Unfortunately bikes are really easy to steal so it happens a lot. I hope a lot of people bring ear protection to your local drift events because straight piped 24Vs sound absolutely terrible

IG @turbovarg
                              '91 318is, M20 turbo
                              [CoTM: 4-18]
                              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                              - updated 3-17

Comment

Working...
                              X