No announcement yet.

Econti's garbage. 318is resto w/ built M42, E36 drift car, and others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picked it up from blasting and it looks unbelievable. I haven't been able to get any good full car pics as its been shitty weather and its in my carport with bad lights, but hot damn its beautiful.
    Garbage old iphone pic for posterity:

Not wanting to waste any time as the car's in primer and will rust through very quickly if it gets wet, I employed my father in law to do some bodywork as I don't trust myself enough.
    Radiator support was quickly deleted

As it was bent from when the previous owner crashed it. Not bent very badly but when the rest of the car should be a 9.5/10, made no sense to keep it.
    You can see the crease on the bottom section in the middle, as well as where the mounting brackets are on either side, they looked shitty and were very bent.

Enter the shiny new OEM support that my mrs bought me as a present:

We mocked it up and the car's good and straight so that's very nice.

Reason for not fitting a removable support is that I don't like the look and it's not a race car. Couldn't be fucked making the new OEM one bolt in, and I also didn't really want to cut up a very expensive piece of metal. Also it's only getting a 4cyl and it'll be fitted by lowering the car onto the subframe so ease of installation is not a factor.

While the front was off I started seam sealing the bay back together. It's a twofold reason for me, first to protect against corrosion, secondly to smooth out some of the lines. I'm not doing a full shaved bay but to at least smooth them is nice.
    Note it was my first ever time using it and there is a large learning curve to make it look really nice. I'll likely have to try cut it back to make it smoother and have another go, but such is life.
    It also takes several days to fully cure so I'll be waiting for that.

I also decided on doing the engine cases in silver, so hit them with some heat resistant gloss silver. Turned out pretty good, weather's too shitty to do any more this weekend though.

I finally found a head gasket too that I didn't have to get shipped from America so that was nice. No pics as it's just a head gasket.

I think that's it for the moment? Parts are arriving often, and progress continues. As soon as the bodywork is done I'll throw some paint on to seal it all in, then it's test fit time.
    It feels so indescribably good to be making forward movements on the car, it's been sitting for so long with not much being done. It's bleeding me dry financially but it isss what it isss.

Have a good day friends and stay positive
    sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Sorry to hear about the 888, however, great progress on the E30! I am enjoying the thread redux. I look forward to seeing the reassembly.

Comment

Good progress, keep it up.
        What are you planning to coat that shell in next? Did the blaster epoxy prime it?
        88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

Originally posted by burkey001 View Post
          Good progress, keep it up.
          What are you planning to coat that shell in next? Did the blaster epoxy prime it?
          It was primed in some apparent bees knees primer, it'll be getting paint next to seal it in, then test assemble, then apart and final paint. I don't really see a need to coat it with anything special as it won't be parked outside and any stone chips will be repaired as soon as they appear.
          I'm not sure what I'll coat the underneath with yet. It will be some kind of protective liner, not just regular paint.
          sigpic

Comment

More progress this weekend.
            Finished painting the main engine components:

(Yes they are wheel bolts, they're the right thread to block the holes)

Got the new radiator support in, it's incredible how much strength they add to the front end. Happy to say that despite the quality issues that seem to plague new bodypanels from the factory, this one fit absolutely perfectly. I can't find a date of manufacture but I suspect it's an old one that's been sitting around.

I also hit the sunroof casette with rust converter and then primer. The media blaster didn't do it as it's so thin, that if he hit it with the beads it would heat up and warp too much. Not the end of the world to spray some Fertan on and then prime.

My father in law also cut out the butchered exhaust tip exit and started fitting up the 6cyl cutout.
            This car was originally a single tip and it seems someone educated from the Stevie Wonder Fabrication Institute cut it to fit a twin tip exhaust with tin snips. It was awful, so I got a 6cyl factory twin tip cutout to replace it with.
            Yes, the plan is for twin tips DTM style. I'm ashamed that anyone would think I'd do anything else.

Next week's plans:
            -Wait for the 2x new intake valves to arrive, drop to head reconditioners (for the engine, not for me, nothing can fix my head) and get them all done
            -Assemble head onto block, get expensive metal gasket for timing case backing plate, mock that all up
            -Find a complete timing kit to buy somewhere
            -Finish the roof, bead blaster didn't do that either so I have been cutting it back to complete bare metal, need to finish
            -Bully father in law into finishing the rust repairs

So then hopefully in a week or two I'll be able to put some colour on the car to seal it in.

Stay healthy friends, keep up your water intake and take care of your knees.
            sigpic

Comment

Where did you end up sourcing the core support from, shipping costs to Australia look crazy expensive?

I can't quite tell with my car but it does appear to have had a very minor hit on the front left, possibly been pulled out, maybe even too far? Seems as if the core support is only slightly out which is making aligning the guards and bonnet incredibly difficult.

Did you have much difficulty fitting it/getting it all lined up okay?
              IG: https://www.instagram.com/josh.stacey/
              Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/133952286@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by jsta1109 View Post
                Where did you end up sourcing the core support from, shipping costs to Australia look crazy expensive?

I can't quite tell with my car but it does appear to have had a very minor hit on the front left, possibly been pulled out, maybe even too far? Seems as if the core support is only slightly out which is making aligning the guards and bonnet incredibly difficult.

Did you have much difficulty fitting it/getting it all lined up okay?
                I got it through BMW themselves, because they do bulk shipping via sea you don't pay anything for freight.

It was surprisingly easy to do, my father in law did the hard yards and after seeing him do it I am confident I could do one myself, albeit taking my time.
                The key tools he used were these adjustable rods with pins at either end, kind of like a straight edge except with pins that you can lock at a certain length. He measured the distance from a particular bolt hole on the strut tower to a particular one on the rad support, made sure that both sides matched, locked them off and then when fitting the new one just moved it until they were the same as with the old one. Pretty simple really.
                sigpic

Comment

Bing bong been a long ass time, few people have asked where I'm up to.

I recovered the 888 from the crackheads, it had been crashed pretty badly. Fought with police and insurance for a few months to get the bike back in my name. Fixed things and painted it.

Car wise, I've done 2 drift days in the e36. Been told I have the 'knack' for it, I was pretty happy with how I went. Since the second day I bought new BC coils and have redone the front end setup so it should be a lot lot better to slide in. I think I did OK with clapped out maxpeedingrods and ebay angle blocks.

I can never get youtube linking to work properly so just paste this in for a quick run.

Now, E30 time.
                  Progress has been slow, following my trend of the last 7.5 years of ownership of the car.
                  Since the last time it went to a friend's shed where another friend has been doing the bodywork repairs on it. I was intending on getting up sooner to work on it, but this country's bizarre approach to covid meant I couldn't leave the city for 6 months or so, and the car was outside of the city. I don't have many pics of what's gone on but just imagine a e30 shell that's in primer but really mint.

Now that the repairs are done I'm getting the stone guard and cavity sealant ready to go and finish the underneath. Then once that's done, I need to find the last panels I need, and then actually put colour on it. I've never painted a car before so will have a go at the bonnet of my mrs E34 which is halfway fucked to get some practice.

Engine wise, I did a really big order from BMW for nearly everything I need to put it together. Unfortunately the last bits left are a Ross harmonic balancer which is 1k or so, and ECU and loom which is probably 3-4k with sensors.
                  I mocked it up to have a look and my dick got hard. The inlet won't be red, probably wrinkle black, as will the exhaust manifold and probably the valve cover.

And that's about where we are, in a very basic sense.

To complicate matters I lost my job halfway through last year, and am trying to start my own business, so money is in very short supply. To that end I think I'll just throw in the original M42 so I can drive the thing, and keep building the good motor on the side. I'd rather drive it slowly than not at all. It's been too long since that car was on the road.

sigpic

Comment

I got sent a pic of me at the 2nd matsuri doing my thing

sigpic

Comment

Good progress with the car.
                      Shame about your job...
                      Only moral support I can give you with your business venture is keep costs low and correctly value your time as that's the scarcest commodity you have.
                      E30 320i vert
                      But daily drive is Volvo V60 Polestar

Comment

Been a while. Not much has happened.

Rolled the 36 out of the mud after a year sitting so a friend could borrow it and win a small time wetpan competition

Moved towns from Sydney to Bathurst, which some of you may know is the home of Mt Panorama, one of the worlds greatest circuits. The local car club regularly hold hillclimbs on the track, so I entered some in the 36 just for the fun of it. Turns out I am OK at driving, and beat a lot of much much faster cars on paper, including a M4 CS...

https://youtu.be/85pFSEaWDtU">https://youtu.be/85pFSEaWDtU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

I also bought a Land Rover Defender because I needed a practical car. Been getting really into 4x4 and have started modding it as such.
                        It's also got a hydraulic crane which has made it very easy to move car things around.

And yet still nothing much happening with the E30. The next step is paint and it's a very expensive step. The E36 is currently getting a M54B30 swap to make it more competitive, after which I'll probably keep it as is so to avoid the parts snowball from going turbo or the spare M60 I have. The Defender will get its Isuzu 4BD1T motor swap then stay as is after that.
                        So then it's full steam ahead in saving cash to paint the 30, once it's done I can then start slaving away at the little bits to put it together.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X