No announcement yet.

My Hoopte30 Project Attempt #6 - the painless way to earn cash back every day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I will be running those wheels....
    90 325i TrackRat uncaged

89 ZinnoRed Riot 325is

13 Cognito PPEI Duramax

Comment

Originally posted by Tex_E30 View Post
      I think I will be running those wheels....
      Yeah I wasn't a fan at first, mounted them up, and was quite pleased!!

--------

Scored a leather black rear seat today (to match the black leather sport front seats), as well as another gray carpet, with the sedan specific rear piece I was searching for.

The fun stuff: I had an E30M3 front coilover setup for sale, and a cool chap from SoCal just wanted the housings from the deal, so I split them up, and now we have Ground Controls I can install on HooptE whenever I get to suspension stuff! I am excite.

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
      1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

I finished routing/plugging in the chassis harness and was.... nervous to plug a battery in. But noises were made, albeit mostly bad noises, but noises nonetheless.

Plugged my FB Marketplace 318 cluster in (SI Batteries weren't dead!), put a battery in, turned the key to accessory, and we have lights! Poked around a bunch with a multimeter before trying to turn over the engine with the starter. Replaced the stolen relays in the engine harness, and tried to crank the car.

At this point, I have the fuel pump fuse removed, because I didn't realize a 318 w/ small fuel tank accepts fuel return at the hanger, and the fuel in the tank needs to be drained, so I need to source the proper hanger/drain tank before I can fire it on petrol.

Try to turn the motor over, no dice. Did some more digging (never owned an m42 car, so it's all new to me), and realized someone robbed the engine ground that runs from the passenger motor mount to the frame rail. Put one on from a parts car, and..... the motor cranks!! Obviously no fire due to no fuel.

So, I deemed it necessary to try to fire on starting fluid which was a very bad idea. It backfired super bad so I called it quits and am going to wait for the right fuel pump setup to come in before I go any further.

I also put on a new piece of HVAC box foam while things were apart.

Diff sensor pigtail grossness

Foam:

Had to drop the tank a substantial amount to get the harness routed above the tank. Wrong 325i fuel pump assy.

Lights!

Comment

Got sick of messing with the dash and took a break on the cluster. Cluster work is oddly relaxing.

My goal was to take this good 318 cluster and combine it with the good frame on this parts cluster, and address whatever I find during that process.

Disassemble 318 cluster

Always make sure there is a washer in between the back of the fuel/temp gauges and the main board, like so

ODO gears were shot as expected. Found a spare set in the garage

Install my brother's trim rings into the new cluster frame. I can't say enough about how much this enhances the cluster's look to me. They just snap into place, too.

Install good SI board into good frame

Put it together and add the (green) coding plug for adding cruise control to the 318. Take note, because the late 318 doesn't come with an overhead check panel, there is no center bulb for the "check light" in the cluster

Make lens shiny and affix to frame

All done!

Comment

Good work Mr BOB... I can almost hear it running!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt@EDC View Post
              Good work Mr BOB... I can almost hear it running!!!
              Almost out of the woods!

I've been taking a day off each week to try to finish up projects, one of which is hoopte.

I cleaned up a spare premium sound parcel shelf I had and put in some black premium sound rear speakers, and repaired a cracked seatbelt clip (triangle that mounts to parcel shelf), and got it installed in the car. I also did some "knock testing" and put some raammat on any panel that needed it. Even a small bit with sound deadening can make a huge difference.

Just a light tough of sound deadening to reduce vibrations on ringy panels.

Put some leather conditioner on the rear leather seats I had and put them in the car, along with the proper sedan rear gray carpet piece I was searching for. In taking this pic I realized I forgot the mat for underneath the rear seat, and installed it.

And theeen it was carpet time! This carpet is out of an iX so it has a small hump for the trans tunnel difference (tcase provisioning), good enough for hoopte.

I then dealt with b pillars, and these pesky clips which explode into a million pieces at rapid rates of speed when their removal is attempted, as well as several other various pieces of trim that have to be done in the proper sequence or else things don't fit right.

It was time for dash installation, to I had a deeper look at the dash prior to fitting it, and found some damaged bits.

Before:

After:

Then fitted a good A pillar (one on car was missing)

After getting all of that sorted, I put the dash in! Note to self here, install upper column trim before fitting dashboard

Had to realOEM to find the correct orientation of the M42 ECU bracketry (first 4cyl E30 I've ever owned, and/or seen in the flesh)

Spent the rest of the evening routing wires and getting things mounted up correctly in regards to the extra support pieces for the airbag specific dash, etc. Also waiting on my canteloupe radio wiring kit to wire up the stereo. PSA looking for a 5908 if someone reading this has one they'd like to sell. I bought one and it got damaged in shipping and couldn't be repaired.

I have a fuel pump coming from the good sir moatilliatta so I can work on getting things running. I also need suggestions on a good muffler to pair to the M42 assuming it isn't exploded. I need to spend the rest of the weekend pulling the motor on my FXT, so I wanted to get as much done on this as I could before that project started.

Comment

There will be a hiatus on hoopte for a while as I rebuild the engine in my Sports 5sp FXT and prep for sale.

I buttoned up what I could, loosely bolted in the seats so they were off of the garage floor and rolled it outside. I will likely transfer my Italvolanti to hoopte.

Fun update, for me anyway. I've been looking for the "right" CM5908 for this thing, and my buddy Ben (thanks, Ben!) mentioned that he had one that he wasn't using, and since it isn't the correct unit for any of his cars, he was willing to sell if it was going to a good home. Came complete with the booklets and all!

I also scored a really nice set of visors on FB, hoopte's visors were missing when I got the car.

Comment

Love the updates. This beast is really coming together nicely with all the little details. I'd just throw on a Bosal OE style exhaust....reasonable cost and won't drive you nuts with drone. Otherwise I have always been impressed with the sound of a Dynomax Super Turbo on 4 cylinder BMW's. Lot's of can options should get you a close fit.

Comment

I have a lowish mileage (~2k) SuperSprint catback in great shape just outside Toledo I will let go to see you get this on the road. I can send you some pictures if you are interested. I just swapped it out for a Stromung, only because I have 318iS ADHD and like to change things up.

Comment

I washed hoopte for the first time. Need to put some time into clay bar and polishing, but it looks better than a hoopte should from 15ft away.

Still need to install the new fuel pump/hanger and see if it'll fire!

Comment

Fuel pump/hanger from moatilliatta installed, as well as new plugs. Turned over by hand fine. Hooked battery up, turned it over with starter..... sounds like no compression. Verified 0 compression on all 4.

Started investigating, took VC off and turned over by hand, and timing chain is skipping on crank, me thinks timing chain idler pulley and/or tensioner failed. Something is also getting lodged in the timing system causing it to bind (likely part of whatever is broken. I think the harness was cut and sold as a non-runner from the get go, and no one could get it running after, thus turning it into a parts car. I am certain valves are bent, and who knows what else is damaged.

What a bummer. Don't know what the plan is at this point. I don't have time for this to be the magnitude of project it turned out to be. I suppose if I could find a known running/good condition m42 that didn't require a heap of work I could just swap that in, but m42s are now fairly difficult to find in known good condition, for whatever reason.

The whole goal of hoopte was to enjoy the car while I fix it up, and use it for parts testing, and it is just turning into a giant "work on and never get to drive" project that I have no capacity for, so I scooped up the lachs '89 325iS on here that ran and has very little rust. Gonna make it safe (timing belt, some brake/fuel lines, tune up), and just use that car to fulfill the role that hoopte #4 was supposed to fulfill.

Onto hoopte #5

Comment

Ohh man! So close! Kswap on the cheap?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                          @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                            Ohh man! So close! Kswap on the cheap?
                            lololol the k series to g260 bell housing adapter and flywheel is as much as I paid for the car initially

Comment

Gettin hoopte #5 road worthy has been satisfying

Timing belt/tensioner, water pump, cam seal, cap/rotor, plugs, intake boot, vc breather hose, FPR vacuum hose, and a few other odds and ends has this thing running great.

Not so good: head is nasty with grime, OG hex head bolts, head gasket leak from front corner that I'm going to pretend isn't there.

The PO was able to bleed the front brakes but not the rear, so I'm going to replace brake lines and calipers tomorrow to see if I can get the brakes fully functional.

Shocks/Struts are all blown, and I'm sure the whole suspension needs a refresh, but can still send it in the mean time as long as brakes/hoses/etc are all brought up to date.

Cluster has a bad SI board that I'll see if I can fix over the weekend.

Coolant was disgusting and I was on borrowed time with the timing belt:

Head gasket seepage after I wiped it away to make sure it wasn't cam seal seepage.

Lash was in spec, cam lobes were in good shape, but head is diiirrty. I had a cleaner VC on the shelf that I threw on.

Threw some stuff in the parts washer but didn't go too crazy.

These are missing on every single M20 I come across so I keep a bag on the shelf.

Plugs were mint

Replaced the bubbling coolant hoses with whatever I had on the shelf. Going to have to flush the coolant a few times, so I'm not too worried about doing a full cooling system overhaul just yet.

Comment

I am going to have a running m42 in about a month or two but all the way in California though

Comment

Working...
                                X