My Hoopte30 Project Attempt #6 - the painless way to earn cash back every day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prisonerofdoom83 View Post
    I am going to have a running m42 in about a month or two but all the way in California though
    I ended up finding a 40k mile m42 dropout that I'm snagging in a few weeks!

Hoopte #5 is fun - the rear brake hoses/calipers were filled with rust and/or collapsed and/or bad, so I stopped by the warehouse and poked around and found an unused set of braided rear brake lines, new rotors, rebuilt ATE rear calipers, and tossed all of that stuff on with KYBs and H&R OE Sports, with some shock mount brackets I had lying around.

The front control arms are so roasted that they are unsafe, so I ordered some control arms and E36 solid rubber centered bushings, along with f/r endlinks. Once those show up I'll probably toss on the wheels from hoopte #4 since they have good tires and start dailying it.

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Which hoopty will be best hoopty?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
      @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
        The 325iS is what I hoped for the hoopty to be. Ratty, but solid, not digging to deep, and only doing what’s necessary. The 318 turned into a full on build with the motor and chassis harness, and is thus dead to me. I don’t want multiple giant projects, just something that’s solid that I can hop in whenever and not care at all, not something I’ve touched every bolt on.

318 will get sold once I do the motor swap and finish buttoning up odds and ends. I should be able to start daily-ing the iS as soon as my control arms get here.

Comment

Mirror, mirror, on the wall. Which is the hooptyist HooptE of them all?

Comment

Best hooptie is running hooptie.

Comment

Just a mental refrence...

I lust for a best hoopties that works just for fun. AWDBOBS hoopties are best hoopties. :)

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
              @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Rare.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt@EDC View Post

Mirror, mirror, on the wall. Which is the hooptyist HooptE of them all?

mirror didn't offer me any guidance, only told me to lay off the potatoes

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
                  Best hooptie is running hooptie.
                  THIS!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...8PMdIkQvbiRrL6

Just a mental refrence...

I lust for a best hoopties that works just for fun. AWDBOBS hoopties are best hoopties. :)
                  bahahaha best hooptys indeed!

Smelled a smell in the new E30. Found the smell. I didn't even take a photo of the under dash panel, I just threw it out, as it was a rodent litter box, and caught whatever didn't make it to the ECU. I have some deep cleaning ahead of me.

I installed KYBs (not ideal, but super free) onto these H&R OE Sport springs with E90 Drop hats and new Sachs USMs onto good housings with rebuilt calipers and rusty but new rotors.

Quality control is suffering even at the Sachs level. One of my USMs has a TON of bearing play. Gonna run it for now, and FCP warranty it later.

Waiting on a few orders with control arms and E36 (non-offset) control arm bushings, swaybar endlinks, front braided brake lines (only had rears on the shelf), and a non-airbag E36 rack swap kit before I button up the front suspension, which may be a few weeks

I pulled hoopte #5's cluster apart to diagnose what I assumed was a bad SI board (dead tach and coolant temp). Apparently the cluster was pulled from the Atlantic, as most bits were destroyed. SI board was heavily corroded throughout, NiCad batteries leaked, and it was also "long screwed" by the hillbilly Cory bought the car from.

Main board was also heavily corroded.

Took a good spare SI board, good spare main board, good spare tach, and polished a cluster lens and made it all work again!

Yuuummmmm

Good main and SI boards

All better. ODO gears are shot, but I ordered them through Garagistic, so it may be next year until I receive them, so I just put it back together for now.

Comment

Loving all the hoopty content!

Bummer on the 318i. It reminds me of the 325i convertible I bought last year to flip. The previous owner kept saying that none of the electronics worked. I brought it home, put a battery in it, and immediately found the ignition switch wiring to be cut. I eventually got it running (after repairing the wiring and putting in a new fuel pump) but found the head gasket to be bad. I'm not sure how covering up problems by creating new problems is a good idea to some people
                    '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                    '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Originally posted by Codym42 View Post
                      Loving all the hoopty content!

Bummer on the 318i. It reminds me of the 325i convertible I bought last year to flip. The previous owner kept saying that none of the electronics worked. I brought it home, put a battery in it, and immediately found the ignition switch wiring to be cut. I eventually got it running (after repairing the wiring and putting in a new fuel pump) but found the head gasket to be bad. I'm not sure how covering up problems by creating new problems is a good idea to some people
                      Thanks!! I should be driving hoopte no. 5 before too long.

Man, I feel that. This '91 318 was supposed to be an engine harness away from running, but it ended up just trading hands several times without anyone having any success, so by the time I got to it, it needed everything. It was a bummer really because the car is nice, I just can't handle such a big project on top of all of the others.

---------

From shit to shine - I spent quite a bit of time yesterday disinfecting the blessings left over from the previous tenant. I was in full hazmat mode, this was a gross job that I was avoiding.

From this:

To this:

I also found the original broken glovebox latch in the car, so I swapped over the tumbler to a good one, so I can lock the glovebox!

Comment

Hoopte #5 went on her maiden voyage after I buttoned up the suspension.

I had a spare Z3M rack that I told myself I was not going to install, but ended up convincing myself to do so. I am glad I did.

I did:

H&R OE Sports (50404-55) (because KYBs)
                        E90 Drop Hats
                        KYB Struts/Shocks
                        Sachs USMs F&R
                        E36 Solid Centered CABs
                        Meyle Control Arms and Inner/outer Tie Rods
                        Z3M Rack 3.2(?) turns L2L
                        Rebuilt Calipers F&R w/ new pads and blank rotors
                        Front and Rear Stainless braided brake lines

Even after idling the car for a while and taking it around the block all of the smoke has cleared up and it's starting to run better and better. I am going to run some seafoam through her in lieu of the disgusting-ness that I saw when I had the valve cover off.

My old school O.Z.'s for whatever reason are rubbing on the new calipers. They're VW fitment, I learned, and are only 14x6, et33.

To reward Hoopte#5 I bought her some new shoes, which I will reveal at a later date.

OH, and a super cool chap gave me a well maintained M42 for Hoopte#4 for free- funny how things work out.

New but rusty rotors I had at the warehouse on a set of nice housings.

by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Rack and modified linkage. Need to file some of the steering joint, as I am getting a small bit of binding.

Free M42 (broken Subaru in background)

This car is a POS, but it is reaaaaaly growing on me.

Comment

The GF's Fiesta broke again (driving until the engine arrives for her Outback), and I couldn't get the parts in time to fix it, so she got put up in the hoopte for the week!

We have only baseline functionality, as the alignment is scheduled for Friday and the wheels/tires haven't shipped yet, but with her work only a few miles from home, it'll get her by for the week.

She floored it on the test drive and said "oh, this car is fun!"

A good sign.

Comment

haha! if she's willing to drive that, she's definitely a keeper, my friend. :)

nice progress. good on you for saving another one.
                            '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by e30austin View Post
                              haha! if she's willing to drive that, she's definitely a keeper, my friend. :)
                              nail, meet head!

She's a blessing, that's for sure. I did get a comment this morning: "can we paint it?"

I will be one happy camper when all of these shitboxes have moved on from their idle, broken state in my driveway. I am very anti car payment, but the flip side of that is working on cars constantly, which I am getting quite sick of.

It's nice to have the hoopte not be a brick anymore!

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post

nail, meet head!

She's a blessing, that's for sure. I did get a comment this morning: "can we paint it?"

I will be one happy camper when all of these shitboxes have moved on from their idle, broken state in my driveway. I am very anti car payment, but the flip side of that is working on cars constantly, which I am getting quite sick of.

It's nice to have the hoopte not be a brick anymore!
                                hey, that's not such a bad thing - she approves, which makes your life significantly easier (in theory, of course).

definitely feeling you re: the car payment vs. working on cars comment, as i just bought a replacement engine for my e91 today - meh
                                '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Working...
                                X