No announcement yet.

My Hoopte30 Project Attempt #6 - the painless way to earn cash back every day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ummm hello. This is R3V. We need more pics of your girlfriend. I always thought you were a lesbo, because of that Subaru you drove lol
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by e30austin View Post

hey, that's not such a bad thing - she approves, which makes your life significantly easier (in theory, of course).

definitely feeling you re: the car payment vs. working on cars comment, as i just bought a replacement engine for my e91 today - meh
      I always say that someday when I’m rich and famous I’ll have something newer than 10yrs old, but I highly doubt I ever will. I am learning that generally, I am just a glutton for punishment.

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
      ummm hello. This is R3V. We
      need more pics of your girlfriend. I always thought you were a lesbo, because of that Subaru you drove lol
      man you’ve got some greedy paws. A pic of babe driving hoopte AND driving in Linda and the people still ask for more

also, both she and I still have Subarus (both blown up, of course), so big lesbo vibes in this household
      1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
      1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

The best part about repairing a car that runs/drives is that it can still be enjoyed while you slowly fix it up. As mjweimer put it today, "it sounds like there are more things that don't work than work".

-Horn inop (unsafe, I reaaaaly don't like driving cars without a horn)
        -Speedo inop
        -Blower motor inop (fuse blew, lost all function)
        -Seat belts completely inop (also really unsafe)
        -Lock cylinders all seized and thus inop
        -Incredibly bent wheels
        -Turn Signal Fast Blinkly (I suspect front turn signal grounds)
        -No Radio
        -Carpets still gross, need to deep clean

I had some time today so I tackled the speedo, blower motor and wheels.

I decided to throw the dforces on, since they are wrapped in new DZ102s, until the new wheels get here. The difference was INSANE. The car feels like a million bucks now with the H&R OE Sports, KYBs, centered solid rubber CABs, and E36 rack. Such a perfect setup for a daily.

Speedo I diagnosed down to the diff sensor pigtail, so I spliced a spare in, we have speedo!

I've also been getting random windshield wiper action, so I swapped the relay with a good one.

I jumped pins 30 and 87 at the relay, no horn. Checked for 12v at the horns w relay jumped, and it was present. Turned out I had one bad pigtail and two bad horns! Got lucky and had a spare 1378416 plug on the shelf thanks to a gift baggie twright gave me the last time he came up to get parts.

Blower motor I was a bit leery on since it worked previously, and then failed, so I pulled the firewall cover off and found my (hopefully) last mouse nest. When I turned the blower fan on initially, I can only assume that it sucked up some nesting and blew the fuse. I pulled the motor to make sure it spun freely, lubricated one side that was hanging up, and fitted a new resistor. I then pulled all of the dash vents and de-bio-hazard-ed them.

Need to throw the seat belts in tomorrow, and then over the weekend I will install the Continental/VDO TR7412UB-OR radio that I ordered.

She's coming together!

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Comment

Nice progress! Since its a hooptie, Im assuming it will never get painted?

What happened with Hooptie #4?
          Simon
          Current Cars:

Comment

Nice progress! Since its a hooptie, Im assuming it will never get painted?

What happened with Hooptie #4?
            Thanks man! and nah, this is the leave parked outside in the driveway and hop in whenever type of vibe. My smiles are all had while driving, and I don't drive anything that is even remotely nice. Linda is pretty and just sits in the garage. Hard to explain, but when things are nicer, they require my brain to jump over some burden of concern before use, and then I just don't use them. I've always been that way.

#4 is waiting on an engine swap with the spare, refreshed M42 a guy gave me, and then will need exhaust work and general buttoning up, but all of that is on hold until I finish my Forester XT EJ255 engine build, and my GFs Outback engine, as well as fixing/selling her shitbox Fiesta.

Linda might go up to ClassicDaily soon for a polished tune and battery box rust repair before I (gasp) sell it (to focus on M3), and if it does I can pull hoopte #4 into Lindas bay to swap that motor sooner.

Comment

Made some solid hoopte progress.

I pulled the car apart this week to replace the seatbelts and found some not great things, but managed to reel it in and ended up with a solid result without the project spiraling.

I removed various interior components to replace the seatbelts and found another mouse nest under the parcel shelf, rust in the rear floor plugs, and the bare backside of various welds from where someone pulled dents out at some point.

I then got bothered to the carpets I previously ignored, and started to get stressed out about the whole equation.

Did some carpet cleaning with Mr. Clean APC and a drill attachment... not perfect but so much less biohazard. Hard to see, but there were just nasty, deep stains everywhere.

Repeat on both sides, and she good. Cleaned the back piece and put some sound deadening on resonating panels.

Sadness

BUT WE PREVAILED. I had some perfect rear floor drains in a parts car that got carefully removed. With some jacking/adjusting/massaging of the rear pans, we got the rear floors straight and the new drains were a perfect fit. Sloppy POR15 over anything that looked rusty + seam sealer on the drains and we're back in business.

I then noticed the drivers side door brake was pulled through the door, and also snapped in half inside the door. This was remedied by some work on the metal, a new door brake, and an appropriate sized washer to keep things fro pulling through the door again.

The entire central locking system on hoopte was destroyed/removed/hacked, but I need the car to lock properly, so I pulled two door tumblers and a trunk tumbler off of a nicer parts car (hoopte #2 IIRC, the iX), as well as the three associated actuators, and we have fully functioning central locking! I tried every trick in the book but could not get the ignition tumbler removed, so I have two keys for now, but having fully working central locking is worth it. Along the way I noticed my drivers side mirror plug was jacked, so I repinned it in a new plug.

It was finally time to reassemble the interior, and with the gray interior needing help, and with my convenient access to a warehouse of E30 parts........ you can see where this is going.

I had a pretty nice black leather sport interior on the shelf that I put in the car. I bought a drivers side upper bolster replacement that I had to put on, was my first time doing so. Didn't turn out incredible, but also wasn't terrible. The door panels and rear seats I used were "b" stock that had issues so I didn't feel too bad pulling them from stock to use on the car.

I also had a black premium sound shelf/speakers I threw on to complete the look. This car is coming along!

Once I throw the Italvolanti in here, it's going to feel like home.

Comment

DForces… fancy interior… sport HooptE! You’ll be engine swapping it next! (I will stage an intervention if you actually start talking about engine swapping this thing).

Looking fantastic mate. Just keep tidying it up and smashing miles on it.

Comment

I'm not sure you can call it Hooptie anymore.

Maybe if you did a paint job with a brush or roller you could.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt@EDC View Post
                    DForces… fancy interior… sport HooptE! You’ll be engine swapping it next! (I will stage an intervention if you actually start talking about engine swapping this thing).

Looking fantastic mate. Just keep tidying it up and smashing miles on it.

Thanks, man! Sport hoopte indeed- Hali has enjoyed the transformation as it went from biohazard, no speedo, no seatbelts, no radio, destroyed interior, to a bit more of a comfortable, functional cockpit.

Originally posted by twright View Post
                    I'm not sure you can call it Hooptie anymore.

Maybe if you did a paint job with a brush or roller you could.

Meh, hoopty to me is how I perceive and enjoy the car. A car that works, is left outside, and can be enjoyed any given day without any thought/fear/worry.

Hali and I have put more miles on this car in 2wks than I have in 5yrs owning Linda.

When there is a need, I will meet the need, while attempting to leave behind the "wants" unless justified by a need (see: wheels/tires).

If something isn't going to add to overall enjoyment, it will likely be left alone. Radio, good tires, safe suspension, nice seats, etc are all things that add quite a bit to the enjoyment without detracting from overall goal of hoopty-ness.

Also, there is a half inch of bondo on the drivers side of the car that is now cracking........ she's like a hatching hoopty egg that is about to make herself fully known to the outside world.

Comment

Hoopte's new shoes are on! So happy with how they turned out. Went with a 225/50 Kumho Ecsta on the Ronals- the 225s fill out the 7.5" wheel nicely.

Comment

In order for it to be proper hooptie status you cant clean this up too much... missing sidemarker, wavy spoiler, etc must all remain
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

In order for it to be proper hooptie status you cant clean this up too much... missing sidemarker, wavy spoiler, etc must all remain
                          Can I bend the antenna a bit for him?

Comment

That's the plan! Anything that requires paint/bodywork is to stay exactly as-is to preserve hooptie status.

Originally posted by Matt@EDC View Post

Can I bend the antenna a bit for him?
                            noooooo back off of my working hirschmann!

Comment

Hoopte #4 getting saved!

Comment

Looking forward to seeing hooptie #4 running!
                                '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                                '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Working...
                                X