My Hoopte30 Project Attempt #6 - the painless way to earn cash back every day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Codym42 View Post
    Looking forward to seeing hooptie #4 running!
    Hoopte #4 still inop :(

Dropping in to share my latest bad decision.... an '84 318 DE car, set up for an m42. Originally sold by Zionsville many moons ago, and is back in Indiana now after spending most of its life in Ohio.

It's set up pretty well re: suspension and whatnot. Got a nice set of GCs, several chassis mods. He blew the motor and tore the car down for various repairs and that's where we're at now!

The trick is going to be beating the cold in getting things together.

This car screams spec e30 to me, but as far as I know, pre-87 cars arent allowed?

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Did you have to pay extra for the blue tape?

Comment

Originally posted by twright View Post
        Did you have to pay extra for the blue tape?
        He did a decent job sealing the car up for the trailer ride over- ‘twas a nice gesture to help keep yesterdays sleet out of some freshly epoxied rust repair.

Comment

That chassis definitely should be spec e30 compatible, provided you drop in an m20. Then again, you could buy all of my m42 stuff that came back from the machine shop a few months ago.....
          IMG_0145 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by KI4UJO View Post
            That chassis definitely should be spec e30 compatible, provided you drop in an m20. Then again, you could buy all of my m42 stuff that came back from the machine shop a few months ago.....
            I kept seeing mixed reviews on whether or not pre '87 cars are allowed. Turns out, they are! It's wired for an M42 which *should* mean its one ABS wire away from accommodating an M20. It is likely but a pipe dream, though, with everything else I have going on. The car has a nice GC setup on it that I am going to "borrow" for Hoopte.

Comment

I dont even know which one is THE hooptie anymore... they are all hoopties
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                I dont even know which one is THE hooptie anymore... they are all hoopties
                bahaha fair enough. The keeper hoopte is the lachs 325iS. Fixing the sedan to sell it still, and track car was just a random pickup. iX hoopte is a shell now and getting scrapped any day

Comment

Linda is most definitely not a hooptie.

This car needs a M10 - 292 cam and side drafts.....

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
                    Linda is most definitely not a hooptie.

This car needs a M10 - 292 cam and side drafts.....
                    Maaan I am right there with you- just m30 instead of m10- a ratty early car build would be a fun one!

Parted/sent another car off to the yard to make some room.

Much better

So, if you have ever spent more than 30 seconds in a build thread of mine, you are aware of my debilitating habit of taking on new projects for no reason that effectively completely distract me from the other missions at hand. I have done it again.

I purchased the track car because it was claimed to have a nice set of GCs and a slew of other good parts to "quick swap onto hoopte". I couldn't get the rear GC adjusters off of the TAs and noticed it had eccentric TA bushings and new powerflex subframe bushings, which led me to swap the entire subframe assembly (incl small case s4.1) into hoopte just to get the rear coils, further justified by the fact that I had a new old stock ANSA catback to replace the rotted one, so I had to "drop the exhaust anyway". I then noticed the rear axles were non-abs so i had to swap those out, rebuild ebrake assemblies, etc etc. Getting the d/s on the diff was a huge pain, and ended up converting the diff to studs and macgyver-ing it in the subframe whilst lining up d/s studs so I didn't have to collapse the d/s.

It was at this point that I realized I shouldn't have done any of this and should've left hoopte well enough alone that I wanted to just pull the front GCs off of the track car and toss them on hoopte and be done, so I went to do so and found out that the "nice GCs" were trash heaps built on 45mm non-abs strut housings and needed to be totally redone. So now hoopte is low in the back and high in the front, the brakes won't bleed right, and the other 95 projects that I have are left untouched as usual. If I said "lesson learned", I'd just be lying.

Pulling a subframe in the rain was super fun:

ABS axles courtesy of mjweimer's old stuff he donated.

Almost there:

Lowrider. I adjusted it 6 turns up from this height and may still go higher once I see how front clearance is after I finish rebuilding the front coils on 51mm housings.

Last edited by AWDBOB; 11-22-2021, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Got the NOS (free and beat up) ansa catback on and went for a spin. I think these Ronals look quite nice with the studs, without the caps. Not for every application, but no caps and studs feels at home here.... goes with the vibe.

I'm going to have to roll the rear fenders, but I think it looks good! I broke down and ordered front Konis so I can do the front GCs right, do it once, and be done.

Comment

How's the sound? Is it too loud?

Comment

Originally posted by twright View Post
                          How's the sound? Is it too loud?
                          Sounds stock! This is just an OE replacement unit. Got it with a “lot” of new old stock exhaust systems from an old euro shop cleaning house.

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post

Sounds stock! This is just an OE replacement unit. Got it with a “lot” of new old stock exhaust systems from an old euro shop cleaning house.
                            Out of curiosity, was it a place on ebay? I just picked up most of a 323i exhaust from a seller there who was doing exactly that
                            IMG_0145 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by KI4UJO View Post

Out of curiosity, was it a place on ebay? I just picked up most of a 323i exhaust from a seller there who was doing exactly that
                              I’m not sure if they’re selling stuff on eBay, but it was just a shop in Indy that called and said “hey you’re the guy that buys everyone’s old BMW parts right?” And of course I said, “Sure am!”.

They were going to scrap the stuff so they just offered it to me for scrap price so it didn’t get crushed. Bunch of really cool NOS piece that they used to keep in stock 20 years ago.

Comment

Bringing the Carolina Squat to the E30 community....love it. Needs moar front height...time for iX springs.

Bummer on the front coils but it will be all worth it in the end and it will be right.

I kinda like the Ronals without the caps...maybe paint the center lug dished area black or dark metallic gray?

Comment

Working...
                                X