Is charging a car battery in your garage safe?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Charlie
    replied
    Neighbor back by my parents house had one go faulty and burned the garage and part of the house down, so I'm a little paranoid on it.

    I just pull the battery and trickle charge it outside to be safe.

    -Charlie

    Leave a comment:


  • Mtriple
    replied
    Originally posted by Turf1600
    Well, I somehow filled my garage with carbon monoxide doing it.
    It will trip a CO detector for sure if the battery vents. I've been on a number of fire calls for just this reason.

    I wouldnt worry too much about it if you just use commom sense. I store my E30(factory lead acid battery) in my lower garage and keep a CTEK charger on it all winter. Thats 5 to 6 months here. No issues. My 4Runner(has 2 yellow top optimas in it) has been sitting in my garage for the last month with a CTEK charger on it, no issues. The Optimas are sealed so there is no issue whatsoever.

    Leave a comment:


  • Turf1600
    replied
    Well, I somehow filled my garage with carbon monoxide doing it.

    Leave a comment:


  • Unearth078
    replied
    Tending or charging....?

    Leave a comment:


  • Wiglaf
    replied
    if left unattended, leave at trickle charge, 2A at the most.
    charging batteries produce hydrogen gas. in a huge area like a garage, 1 battery won't be trouble. charging it in your closed trunk is a little riskier but i still do it.. unless something is wrong with the battery it will be fine.

    Leave a comment:


  • ayemattyyy
    replied
    I wish I still had pictures to post. My neighbor was tending his battery with the entire garage closed up, and charging for the third day... house went up in flames. cool to watch, not cool to experience it. Just my two cents.
    Matt

    Leave a comment:


  • Rigmaster
    replied
    Originally posted by dashboardmonkey
    not "really" safe, why I voted no

    when you charge a battery it produces some amount of hydrogen so do it with some ventilation
    So how's that custom-made full body bubble working out for ya?



    My farts are 43% methane gas, but that doesn't prevent me from ordering the #2 lunch special at Mucho Mexico at least once a week.


    But I like living on the edge.

    Leave a comment:


  • dashboardmonkey
    replied
    not "really" safe, why I voted no

    when you charge a battery it produces some amount of hydrogen so do it with some ventilation

    Leave a comment:


  • Mtriple
    replied
    CTEK exists to develop and market innovative, safe, easy‑to‑install, and user‑friendly battery charging products for all types of vehicles, as well as complete charging solutions for electric vehicles.

    Leave a comment:


  • equate975
    replied
    safe as long as you don't blow it up....

    Leave a comment:


  • Farbin Kaiber
    replied
    Don't leave it on the charger overnight, check it every few hours for bubbles, and pull the caps off if you can. Oh, and don't be an idiot and spill battery acid on yourself. Put the caps on before you move it.

    Leave a comment:


  • Turf1600
    replied
    Originally posted by Justin B
    be sure not to overcharge and gas it - yes
    What does this mean?

    Leave a comment:


  • Adrian_Visser
    replied
    well any lead acid battery new or old will give off some hydrogen while charging just as long as your garage isn't too tiny and has some ventilation i wouldn't worry too much

    Leave a comment:


  • imprttuner88
    replied
    sure hope so, been doing it for 15 or so years............................

    in short........YES

    Leave a comment:


  • Justin B
    replied
    be sure not to overcharge and gas it - yes

    Leave a comment:

Working...