• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[ATTACH]97531[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]97532[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]97533[/ATTACH]

EDIT - OK, this last one's water-cooled, right?^^^
    Last edited by LateFan; 06-03-2015, 12:06 PM.

Comment

[ATTACH]97534[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]97535[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]97536[/ATTACH]

Comment

Man...can I ban myself from a thread? I really should NOT be looking in here... But an air-cooled 911 is an itch I will have to scratch one day...
        Originally posted by LJ851
        kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
        ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
        #teamross
        Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

It can't be cured I'm thinking.

I KICK myself that I didn't stretch to grab a clean white 71 T about 5 years ago for $21,000. I saw it on The Samba and it was a local number, so of course I had to call the guy to find out who he was! I thought he was dreaming at that price, but he was willing to wait it out.

It sold for full asking in a week to a CA guy who flew up here to get it. Now those are out of reach unless you're a metal wizard and have a lot of time to take on a $10,000 rusted POS.

I don't long for old Ferraris 'cuz that's just silly now. I'm starting to think long hood 911s are in the same category now.

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post

[ATTACH]97536[/ATTACH]
            Can someone please explain what is going on in this picture?
            Current:
            1989 325i
            1988 M3
            1987 325ic
            Past:
            2001 330ci
            2001 M3

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
              I don't long for old Ferraris 'cuz that's just silly now. I'm starting to think long hood 911s are in the same category now.
              I'm with you. Up until recently, I thought that I might add a classic 911 to the stable in 10-15 years when I've got more income. Won't be happening now. It's a shame that they've gone up in price so much, to become mostly an exclusive item that only collectors and investors buy.

Comment

^^^jhaurimn…..It's on the Pelican forum. He bought a completely gone, rusted out shell - no rear shelf, no bulkhead, no floors, no front pan….it's all gone.

...And proceeded to take it apart, have it blasted, and is starting to fit all new / used structural sheet metal into the chassis. The longs and rockers seemed to be OK. Did some kind of water slurry / sand blast that doesn't heat up the metal.

He built a rolling rotisserie frame thing out of square tubing, and he looks to be touching up the welds on it.

Note 1972-only oil tank flap above him.
                Last edited by LateFan; 06-03-2015, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
                  to become mostly an exclusive item that only collectors and investors buy.
                  Especially frustrating because they hand-built, say, 25 V12 Ferraris of a certain series, while they cranked out thousands of stamped steel 911s. The SWBs from the mid-60s, then up through '73. There should be a lot of them. You can make a '74 to early 80s look just like them with some work, and they would be galvanized.

I've read that Germans are re-importing them back home because of their collectibility. All of this has happened in the last 10 years really. Maybe there's an artificial bubble that will fade away when interest rates and bonds go up, but I have no idea.

Comment

Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                    The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Good old Lorin to cheer us all back up!

I wonder if there's any relationship to the design of that mechanical injection system to the old Spica system on Alfas. I think the Spica system originally came from a diesel.

Comment

Originally posted by estoguy View Post
                        I like that one from PS.

Singer does similar work too.

Love love love ST body's...the best 911's of all IMO

but Im not sure Singer would agree that they do "similiar" work....lol
                        I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                          The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by JRKOUPE View Post

and yes prices have gone wild.....but u can still find SC's or even 76 and 77's for doable money.....but its no longer ez..lol..

I bought a 70 T..one owner car @ 8 yrs ago for 12k...folks thought I was nuts...

my buddy was just offered 60k for his tracked but streetable 92 (93?)RSA....those used to be 25-30 only 3, 4 yrs ago. 964's have gone super nuts, 930's..etc.. all because of the long hoods .

I test drove a 71 s 9 yrs ago..guy wanted 18k..I walked...geez at 5500k rpm that car screamed
                            I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Originally posted by JRKOUPE View Post

That's for sure! A Singer is more like a Lunar Module than a standard 911.

I love the ST as well. But I think I'm most attracted to the S / RS, R-gruppe, irreverent hotrod variations..

This one I just love…my son and I were even going to build a model of it, but I couldn't match Signal Orange in model paint!
                              vvv
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	rrrrs.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	7176985

This is the actual prototype of the 2.7RS, which was Signal Yellow and did not have the duck tail. That was added later, as well as the Carrera graphics.

Name:	72 RS 2.7 prototype.jpg
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	7176986

Name:	AlbertBlue911.jpg
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	7176988

And this one from a couple of pages ago! Wow.

Name:	IMG_4673-1024x768.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	7176989

There was a nice Porsche & Ferrari repair and racing shop in Seattle. They had some of everything, zillion dollar exotics all around. But I told the guy my favorite in the whole place was that slightly dirty, black 911 with a certain…look.

He grinned, said, Could be yours! It was the owners car, a 72 T, but lower and wider…. So it turns out it was a full 2.7 RS spec under the skin, with steel flares and a roll bar and a totally tweaked suspension. He ran it on the track regularly.

Comment

[ATTACH]97591[/ATTACH]

Everybody knows this guy by now…

[ATTACH]97592[/ATTACH]

Bjorn reunited with his badass hi-boy East Africa Safari car, with giant floodlights and nerf bars for cows and brush…

[ATTACH]97593[/ATTACH]

^^^Great photos above Lorin. My file label says this is an ST, but I don't know.
                                [ATTACH]97594[/ATTACH]

Comment

Working...
                                X