Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mike.bmw
    replied
    A trip down memory lane. Here's my old '04 SV650S. I loved that bike. I sold it in ~2009.

IMG_1045 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• econti
    replied
    Originally posted by Northern View Post
    I saw everyone posting nice pics of their bike so I figured I'd join...

I started doing some yard work, ended up installing the tail tidy I made and the tail fairing.

Can't remember if I posted the before pic, but PO cut off everything below the tail and sheet metal screwed a piece of milk jug to it.

Currently trying to fix an electrical issue with the dash. Then I need to do some rear end stuff, bar ends, and get a battery.
    Did you end up getting the gearbox sorted?

Leave a comment:

• tim88325is
    replied
    I picked up this project over the weekend, one owner but has been sitting for decades. Tank has a couple pin holes otherwise all there and in nice condition. Will slowly revive it over the next few months...

Plan to get a $100-200 ultrasonic cleaner for the carbs, I seem to do enough of these projects to make it worthwhile...

Leave a comment:

• Wschnitz
    replied
    Untitled by William Snitselaar, on Flickr
    Untitled by William Snitselaar, on Flickr

Picked up a 2016 DR-Z400S to learn to ride on, wanted something I can take on trails when camping.

Leave a comment:

• Northern
    replied
    I saw everyone posting nice pics of their bike so I figured I'd join...

I started doing some yard work, ended up installing the tail tidy I made and the tail fairing.

Can't remember if I posted the before pic, but PO cut off everything below the tail and sheet metal screwed a piece of milk jug to it.

Currently trying to fix an electrical issue with the dash. Then I need to do some rear end stuff, bar ends, and get a battery.
    Last edited by Northern; 04-07-2020, 04:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• varg
    replied
    Finally got the ZRX carbs cleaned and got it back on the road. Replaced the disintegrating foam pod filters with some rather expensive K&N filters, and it needs a little tuning. It's kinda hesitant in the 6-7,000rpm range, it's either just rich because I have the needles raised to suit the foam filters which probably have less pressure drop, or it's due to the fuel levels being off a bit. Setting float heights is such a pain, since it involves completely removing the carbs and the throttle cables are a pain.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• DatUtahGuy
    replied
    Here is my dirty girl, I ride her hard and put her away wet every time :) Click image for larger version

Name:	Baby Blu low res.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	9915523

Leave a comment:

• Northern
    replied
    Ah I see, my local gas has ethanol in 87/89 but 91 is "ethanol free" so I just run 91 in bikes/snowblower/etc and haven't had a problem.

Leave a comment:

• varg
    replied
    I'm fairly certain it's the shitty Ewhatever fuel I have no choice but to purchase here

I've never actually tested the ethanol content but it certainly behaves like it's more than 10% by how fast it goes bad sitting in my garage. No chance it's debris from the tank, I have a fuel filter inline and never find anything other than the white crud and varnish in the bowls. The bike runs on regular 87 and there is no evidence the 91 or 93 in these parts has less ethanol so I just buy 87.

Leave a comment:

• Northern
    replied
    What do you run for fuel? Do you think it's ethanol that's gumming up the carbs? Any chance it's debris in the tank?

Leave a comment:

• varg
    replied
    Nah, wouldn't be that bad. The weight of it (527lbs wet per Indian's website) would make more of a difference than how tall it is. It is actually very similar in specs to my ZRX, which is not at all effortful to transition and corner with. Riding position on the ZRX is a little more feet forward and leaned forward, seat height (with flipped eccentrics like mine) is almost the same.

Man do I miss riding my bike, but the carburetors have been giving me such a fit. I get busy and can't ride it for a little while and if I forget to run it a couple of times per week I wind up having to pull them off and clean them because they gum up so fast. Swapped carbs for a set that do not have a broken casting like the ones that came on my bike and I just can't get it to run right.The 'new' carbs came with drilled slides and non-stock needles which might be contributing to the transition issues so I might have to put my stock slides back. One of them has a pinhole sealed with rtv which is what prompted me to swap them in the first place. I had it running nicely at one point with the shimmed stock needles and larger main jets so I want to just get back to that point. It needs a valve adjustment too and it uses those damn fiddly little shims

Leave a comment:

• LateFan
    replied
    Thanks. It just seems like you'd have to throw your weight side to side a lot more to lean it over. And it just looks a bit goofy to me.

Leave a comment:

• varg
    replied
    Originally posted by LateFan View Post
    Don't you want your center of gravity as low as possible?
    It's more complex than that. It makes little difference at speed in a straight line where stability depends on suspension/steering geometry and its interaction with the gyroscopic effects, and going slowly it just changes the technique required. Bikes with a very high center of gravity like supermotos are incredible at cornering, it just requires a different technique to do so than on a supersport.

Leave a comment:

• tim88325is
    replied
    I think that model is meant to have an upright riding position. Not a sports bike crouch or a cruiser recline, see the new Ducati Scrambler line or any "standard" Japanese motorcycle from the 70s, CB750, CB550, etc.

Leave a comment:

• econti
    replied
    Being forwards makes them easier to slide (weight on the front wheel to keep it gripping as much as possible) and height makes it easier to flick into corners. At least that's what I find.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X