Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The r3v motorcycle thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by varg View Post
    Even some factory bikes look like a half assed crash-made "street fighter"

    The first time I saw one of these in person I initially thought it was the result of some squid getting his hands on a Daytona and smashing it up. The headlight and cluster look textbook "sport bike without its fairing"

    Triumph's designers were hitting the pipe when they penned this baby.
    Concur that it looks awful, but Triumph has been hitting their models with the ugly but profitable stick lately.

    However, I think that the Speed Triple is supposed to have a demi/bikini fairing above the light set, not sure why that one does not have it.

    Comment


      Originally posted by varg View Post

      The first time I saw one of these in person I initially thought it was the result of some squid getting his hands on a Daytona and smashing it up. The headlight and cluster look textbook "sport bike without its fairing"

      Triumph's designers were hitting the pipe when they penned this baby.
      Yeah, I haven't gotten used to those headlights myself either but a lot of other newer bikes aren't much better. I mean the new BMWs and KTM headlights are either googley or beady rat eyes.

      I read about one designer stating that they wouldn't want to put a standard round headlight on a modern motorcycle since their basic look hasn't changed since the Model A. But I haven't seen a better option for my tastes so far...

      Comment


        Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
        Anyone here have any experience with a KTM 390 duke?

        I've been bouncing between the KTM and a CB500F for a while now, and can't seem to make up my mind. I was riding my friends 500 and the power was there and was something I could handle for my first bike. I'm wondering if I'll be too much for a 390, I'm almost 190lbs. The ergonomics are great on the KTM, I'm just wondering if there's going to be too much MrBurgundy for the thumper.
        Love the 390. Looks great. I wouldn't be too worried about the thumper. I had a KTM lc4 engine and it was quite smooth. As long as your primary goal isn't highway cruising I think you would be okay.

        Comment


          Originally posted by varg View Post
          Even some factory bikes look like a half assed crash-made "street fighter"


          The first time I saw one of these in person I initially thought it was the result of some squid getting his hands on a Daytona and smashing it up. The headlight and cluster look textbook "sport bike without its fairing"

          Triumph's designers were hitting the pipe when they penned this baby.
          Agreed, the previous gen speed triple, while not my fav naked bike, was much better looking.


          I think alot of design teams are going to far over the top sometimes with these futuristic transformer look, naked should be simple and clean, like the CB919 or the older monsters to name a few


          Comment


            Originally posted by Downz View Post
            I think alot of design teams are going to far over the top sometimes with these futuristic transformer look, naked should be simple and clean, like the CB919 or the older monsters to name a few
            The Hornet is an excellent example of what a modern standard motorcycle should look like, and they're allegedly reliable to boot.

            Anyone here had one?

            Comment


              Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
              The Hornet is an excellent example of what a modern standard motorcycle should look like, and they're allegedly reliable to boot.

              Anyone here had one?
              I agree, I am sure they are great motorcycles I just don't know what they weren't more popular when released. I also don't why Honda doesn't keep a similar bike in their lineup at all times, the CB1100 is similar but a bit less sporty.

              I mean that similar style sold like crazy in the 1970s and 80s and Honda even makes the CB400F for other markets. Honda has the CB500 but they are twins and marketed towards the low end, I don't think they are even made in Japan anymore.

              It seems like an entire segment is missing in the relatively high performance 400 to 750cc 4-cylinder naked bikes, Yamaha releases a new kick-start only SR-400 thumper and next step up is FZ-07 700c twin. I would like to see more quality lower and mid cc 4 cylinders but maybe the market has changed and moved on...

              Comment


                Originally posted by ST1G View Post
                Love the 390. Looks great. I wouldn't be too worried about the thumper. I had a KTM lc4 engine and it was quite smooth. As long as your primary goal isn't highway cruising I think you would be okay.
                I will be taking the bike on the highway a lot, and here in California 80 is cruising, so I think I'd be wringing out that 390 to the max haha. Maybe a 500 is a better option then.
                Originally posted by wholepailofwater
                Q
                :devil:


                WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

                Comment


                  Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                  I will be taking the bike on the highway a lot, and here in California 80 is cruising, so I think I'd be wringing out that 390 to the max haha. Maybe a 500 is a better option then.
                  Reading the feedback from articles it seems that it does okay at 80 mph.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                    The Hornet is an excellent example of what a modern standard motorcycle should look like, and they're allegedly reliable to boot.

                    Anyone here had one?
                    I have a little seat time on one. They're heavier than they look but they feel pretty good. Could use a few more horsepower but obviously not slow.
                    @turbovarg
                    '91 318is, M20B25, T3/T04E 60 trim (15psi), megasquirt, coilovers, Z3 rack, cold AC
                    [b u i l d]
                    [Car of the month: April 2018]

                    0c8b7c9527af628a346878feb14bf757

                    Comment


                      Been finagling with my WR for a few weeks now, trying to figure out why it was detonating on WOT, fix my leaking fork seals, and a bunch of other little things . Started running Avgas, or aviation fuel, 100 octane low lead, got the jetting corrected for it as it makes the bike run richer, and replaced my fork seals, which were a bit trickier then other bikes I've done, but she's a happy dirt bike now!

                      Took her out with my two buddies on their 450Fs, was able to find the exact same spot I took my family to a few weeks prior with some rented side by sides way up in the hills/mountains, but came in from a different direction, was cool to find the trail, been looking for it for a while, AZ never ceases to amaze me

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Downz View Post
                        Took her out with my two buddies on their 450Fs, was able to find the exact same spot I took my family to a few weeks prior with some rented side by sides way up in the hills/mountains, but came in from a different direction, was cool to find the trail, been looking for it for a while, AZ never ceases to amaze me
                        Looks awesome, I am getting bummed out on Eastern PA offroad riding, the only legal places are super rocky for the most part. I miss riding the local farms with their soft dirt years ago.

                        I am thinking of taking vacations to ride dirt bikes off road, I see videos in Tennessee and Oregon where the riding looks so fun. Even the desert in AZ looks relatively smooth and rock-free compared to the strip-mine areas of PA.
                        Last edited by tim88325is; 03-14-2017, 04:32 AM.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by tim88325is View Post
                          Looks awesome, I am getting bummed out on Eastern PA offroad riding, the only legal places are super rocky for the most part. I miss riding the local farms with their soft dirt years ago.

                          I am thinking of taking vacations to ride dirt bikes off road, I see videos in Tennessee and Oregon where the riding looks so fun. Even the desert in AZ looks relatively smooth and rock-free compared to the strip-mine areas of PA.
                          The desert is all sorts of different terrain depending on where you go, if you go a few hours west of here, you get the sand dunes, go a few hours north, and you get "The Cinders" which is volcanic ash/pebbles through pine forests, massive hill climbs there, awesome spot, right now with it being winter, I ride in the actual desert like in that pic, which varies from smooth open desert floor, to rocky steep hill climbs, to box canyon narrow trails, to water crossings, to sand washes, and all sorts of shit, its bad ass

                          Comment


                            Am I doing this desert thing right?

                            Web Designer / Front End Developer
                            My Portfolio & Website


                            IG: @w_illriderz

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by ky0u View Post
                              Am I doing this desert thing right?
                              Looks good to me...

                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERSgFbURRNQ

                              Comment


                                naked has been overkilled.

                                Time to go back to fairings (mostly for functional sake).
                                If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X