No announcement yet.

The Alfa Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is part of the beauty of old cars most things could be repaired and not replaced.
    To me it looks like you only need lube in the center of the switch.
    looks like its the outside that is making contact.
    try using some bicycle type grease like Phil wood or sarm butter
    Directly above the center of the Earth

Comment

Originally posted by lti_57 View Post
      This is part of the beauty of old cars most things could be repaired and not replaced.
      To me it looks like you only need lube in the center of the switch.
      looks like its the outside that is making contact.
      try using some bicycle type grease like Phil wood or sarm butter
      Phil wood is the best stuff ever. That said, I think it might just attract dust and dirt, gumming things up. I also don't know how well it would conduct electricity. There is a good chance that I'm trying to address a non issue as long as the parts get used on a regular basis. There needs to be a little friction to get the roller to move up rather than just sitting there and allowing the switch to click to the on position, but not get the roller to move.

Will
      '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
      '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
      '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
      '88 BMW M3

Comment

Made some more progress on the last of the dash gauges. The final one, the multi gauge was kinda tough. Its different from the rest in that for some reason the inside of the housing was painted white, and the bodies of all the gauges are a polished aluminum... or at least were supposed to be polished. Nearly 60 years without being touched had them looking a little dull.

All the parts of the multi gauge.

A little dirty inside, not surprising, and really not all that bad considering how old it is, and the fact that it lived in a barn for decades.

The clear plastic bezels tend to yellow with time. Mine weren't great, but for being original, weren't horrible.

I'm not sure why 2 of these were polished aluminum, and one was plastic. As you can see, the one on the left has not been cleaned up yet. The high beam and turn signal lights fit through these.

Fuel gauge back in place.

The back sides of the oil and coolant temp gauges. Those should reflect light well

Front sides.

yep, even cleaned and polished the bulb holders

All three back together and essentially ready to go back in the car.

Its sort of sad that the work that went into cleaning up the insides of these will never be seen. Oh well, I'm just hoping I will have gauges I can read at night.

Will
        '88 BMW M3

Comment

Those look really good. How did you get the yellowing out of the clear plastic?

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
            Those look really good. How did you get the yellowing out of the clear plastic?
            It was pretty easy actually, I bought new ones ;) . They weren't cheap. Everything else is original however.

Will
            '88 BMW M3

Comment

There's the place in So Cal that does the vintage instrument restoration that's so good. The vintage Porsche guys go there. Very expensive but beautiful work...can't think of the name. You've saved a lot of money doing that yourself.

Comment

There's the place in So Cal that does the vintage instrument restoration that's so good. The vintage Porsche guys go there. Very expensive but beautiful work...can't think of the name. You've saved a lot of money doing that yourself.

I think it's called Hollywood Speedometer or something
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

There are few people who rebuild gauges. A friend of mine spent over $1k for the gauges for his datsun roadster. They were nice gauges when they came back, but holy hell. The new faces, seals and chrome bezels were about $400. Not cheap, but far cheaper than what others charge. It was pretty easy as well. These hadn't been apart since they were built, and they didn't want to come free at first. Everything is all cleaned and sealed up, I can't wait to get them in the car.

Will
                  '88 BMW M3

Comment

i can attest getting your gauges rebuilt is damn expensive.

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
                    DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                      I think it's called Hollywood Speedometer or something
                      Oh, right - looked them up...North Hollywood Speedometer and Palo Alto Speedometer. They're always in the back of the Porsche magazine.

Comment

Ouch.

[ATTACH]112656[/ATTACH]

Comment

They're so cool though. Did you watch Clarkson's breakdown of the car on the latest GT? I loved The American's comment..."It's like a BMW for people who're into fancy coffee."

http://www.mikewardalfaromeo.com/new...a538c6743a.htm

^ I would like to test drive that car, but I think I wore out my welcome with the 4C.
                          sigpic

2014 GTI | 2002 Land Cruiser | 1991 Volvo 745t

Comment

Ouch.

[ATTACH]112656[/ATTACH]
                            You could have that, or an M3 for more. I'm not sure what I'd go for, I hear the Alfa transmissions are junk.

That said here are a few shots that I took when they did the release at my work.

And since this was there as well...

Will
                            '88 BMW M3

Comment

that sprint speciale tho...

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
                              DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment