No announcement yet.

The Alfa Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Bay Area, especially Marin County and the East Bay area...

is CRAWLING with Alfas.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
    1983 Peugeot 505 STI
    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
    2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post

is CRAWLING with Alfas.
      This is absolutely correct. When I lived in Marin county I had 5 great resources to help with my cars within 8 miles of my house. There are great mechanics in San Rafael, Novato, Sausalito - and then you can cross a bridge to either the east bay or SF - and there are tons more.
      Past - 1991 318i, 1972 '02

Comment

is CRAWLING with Alfas.
        Really? I want to live there! I'm tired of cold!

Comment

is CRAWLING with Alfas.
          You realize that back in the day Steven Griswold's shop was in Berkeley. For those of you who don't know who he was, he was one of the biggest Italian race prep guys on the west coast. he specialized in Alfas. My GTV was the first fuel injected Alfa to come into his shop when it was new. Jon Norman who won a few SCCA titles back in the day with his green GTV worked for Steven Griswold, and bought all of his parts when that shop closed, and opened his own on 4th St in Berkeley. Conrad Stevenson is a couple blocks down from ALFA Parts, also on 4th st. If you don't know who Conrad is, well, lets just say when you want your ALFA to be a 100 point car, he is who you talk to.

Its interesting, there is an unusually high percentage of Alfas, Datsun roadsters, and E30 M3s in the Bay Area. I think higher for all 3 than LA.

Will
          '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
          '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
          '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
          '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
            You realize that back in the day Steven Griswold's shop was in Berkeley. For those of you who don't know who he was, he was one of the biggest Italian race prep guys on the west coast. he specialized in Alfas. My GTV was the first fuel injected Alfa to come into his shop when it was new. Jon Norman who won a few SCCA titles back in the day with his green GTV worked for Steven Griswold, and bought all of his parts when that shop closed, and opened his own on 4th St in Berkeley. Conrad Stevenson is a couple blocks down from ALFA Parts, also on 4th st. If you don't know who Conrad is, well, lets just say when you want your ALFA to be a 100 point car, he is who you talk to.

Its interesting, there is an unusually high percentage of Alfas, Datsun roadsters, and E30 M3s in the Bay Area. I think higher for all 3 than LA.

Will
            I have to say that I have never seen as many Datsun roadsters as I see in the San Diego area, which is really surprising, but I saw more 510s in Marin.

Comment

Originally posted by rloewy View Post
              I have to say that I have never seen as many Datsun roadsters as I see in the San Diego area, which is really surprising, but I saw more 510s in Marin.
              There are quite a few roadsters in the SD area. Partly because of Balboa Datsun. They race prepped quite a few cars. The climate is also good, sunny and dry much of the year.

Its interesting that you actually see them on the road. I've owned mine since 2000, and I can count the number of cars I've seen on the streets, less than 10. I saw the first one in years a couple weeks ago in SF. Still, come the last weekend of April, they come out of the woodwork and gather in Solvang for the annual show. Last year there were about 90 of them.

Will
              '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
              '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
              '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
              '88 BMW M3

Comment

Just got this via email - I must be on their list, hmm..

Click image for larger version

Name:	alfa email blast final.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	7172724

So they literally have only #82 in stock? "Hey, come see the one car we have! It'll probably be sold by the time you get here, but come on down!"

Comment

[ATTACH]92387[/ATTACH]

(so tiny)
                  [ATTACH]92388[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                    Just got this via email - I must be on their list, hmm..

So they literally have only #82 in stock? "Hey, come see the one car we have! It'll probably be sold by the time you get here, but come on down!"
                    Really only 500 in the states? My local dodge/fiat dealer actually put up a legit Alfa sign up on the dealer next to the Dodge and Fiat signs. Why would they bother?

Comment

500 special intro edition cars here. They have a lot of options and some different trim. People are paying stupid money for them because they're numbered and the first ones.

Then they will bring in I think 1500 / year to the US. Still limited numbers, but after the initial hype the price should drop. The company that supplies the hand-built carbon fiber tub can only turn out that many.

The best options are the competition suspension, 18 / 19" wheels, and the nearly open exhaust (nothing but the turbo and cat).

Then several new models are supposed to show up in '15 and '16, so that's why the new dealers.

Comment

I just saw this mysterious thing about a new Alfa unveiling at the Detroit Auto Show…?? Jan 12 8:35 AM eastern.

Comment

Just picked up this little gal

Already replaced the 14-in bottlecaps with some 15-in Verde phone dials that my buddy had on his parts GTV6. Makes a noticeable difference.

Fun car, great engine note. Tricky gearbox...gotta watch those second gear up and down shifts (esp. down).

Comment

Originally posted by Petebee View Post
                            Just picked up this little gal

Already replaced the 14-in bottlecaps with some 15-in Verde phone dials that my buddy had on his parts GTV6. Makes a noticeable difference.

Fun car, great engine note. Tricky gearbox...gotta watch those second gear up and down shifts (esp. down).
                            Neat. Is it a verde?

Would not mind one of them myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Petebee View Post
                              Just picked up this little gal.
                              Ooo, I like that. Always wanted one of those. I'm told they need water pumps regularly, you might check that.

Comment

I love those things (the Milanos, not the water pumps)

Comment

Working...
                                X