No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL Land Rover thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the truck I was asking about in the last post.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
    The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

^

I would rather have your IH if given a choice.
      Originally posted by Fusion
      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
      William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
        ^

I would rather have your IH if given a choice.

Thanks, I agree with that statement.
        Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
        The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

^ defendersource seems to be the most active these days
          1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Parts:
            Rovers North
            Atlantic British
            Roverland Parts
            British Parts of Utah
            Bearmach Parts
            Buy Land Rover Defender parts and accessories online from the world's largest supplier; we offer a huge range of parts and accessories with worldwide shipping available.

Rovah Farm
            Paddock Spares in UK
            http://www.lamornagarage.com (friend of ours in Seattle)

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
              ^ defendersource seems to be the most active these days
              nas-row.com Chris Snell is a good guy.

Comment

So I picked this weekend to try my hand at servicing the EAS valve block and compressor assembly on the P38. Nothing terribly wrong with the suspension, but I’d like to actually get it off pavement this year. Not sure when the whole deal was last serviced, so better safe than sorry. Had also started to notice when the temps got into the teens here that the front new would start to drop if I parked it for a few days. The process isn’t all that hard.... just a bit tedious since it’s the first time doing this. Mostly just taking apart stuff, cleaning it, and replacing O rings...

Compressor assembly with the “head” off...

Compressor piston. Uses a Teflon “piston ring” which gets replaced.

Valve block assembly.... and disassembly.

All clean and back together! Wanted to get this out of the way before something stupid decided to happen with the EAS and eliminate another point of failure. EAS jokes aside, mine has not been the nightmare it’s made out to be. If you put off maintenance on anything long enough it’s going to give you issues.

With the cold snap here the next few days it will be a good time to see if any leaks show up!
                -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
                '95 525iT
                '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
                '98 Disco 1

Comment

^^ Impressive!

Neo Defender mule video here.... where it belongs, out in the trees and cold...

Get the latest on new Land Rover Defender models including first drives, in-depth reviews, concept car photos, new features, recalls and more.

I've looked at close-up pics of these, and that whole boxy hood is fake. The hood, windshield cowling, and door glass are all several inches lower. The "hat" on the roof is fake as well. It'll be interesting to see what it really looks like. LR generally has some of the better designers, so we'll see. Really hard to update an icon and make it modern at the same time.

Comment

The Defender mules were out field testing at Moab for two weeks and a few people caught them. Seem to impress most people, and on street tires. Probably testing systems and cooling while crawling and chassis stiffness and everything else. Some videos show that very very short cobbled up RR Sport, which is likely an early D90 mule. There's also what looks like maybe a RR Sport mule, which is likely the same chassis underneath - I think they're building them on the same line. Others show the long wheelbase (110?) Defender and the short, some with a tailgate spare carrier. The departure angles on the Defender look quite good. Some videos clearly give away a 4 cylinder diesel which is cool - will we get those here? Perfect low speed crawling engine.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

And, there was some marketing slip-up and this Defender image without the foam cladding was leaked. A LR partnership with the Tusk conservation organization. I think my son said it was leaked on redit, then pulled quickly. He sent it to me.

So - the big square hood box cladding is gone and the hood is much lower and rounded on the front, the flares seem to be the real thing, the roof slopes up similar to a Series truck, curving in / ("tumblehome") high hip line all along the body side like a Series truck, even a little flat vertical before the door glass. The thick side cladding on the rear quarter is gone, showing the side glass flush. Rear spare carrier to get it out from underneath (there is NOTHING better than dragging a rusty muddy spare out from under there!) or inside. That shiny cover has to go.

Don't know if the wheelbase is actually 110", but very short overhangs. Swinging rear door with a beefy handle. I like that the bumper is just the width of the door - very minimal. Two stacked marker lights outboard front and back with the headlights inboard like a Series truck - some nice nods to the past.

Very LR3-ish windshield and frame I think. I doubt those are flush glass on the doors - I think there's a frame hidden under the wrap - seems too vulnerable to getting whacked. Other pics show a long glass roof like an LR3.

It seems to have a high lift rock mode with good articulation on adjustable air springs, which are getting to be pretty reliable. Speculation that third world markets don't need that complicated shit - but the LR's they sell in these areas now already have it and they function fine.

Also speculation on the big white mesh covers on the lower front bumper cover, and that there's an intercooler in the wheelwells etc. I don't know what that's about, because in some light there appears to be a much smaller intake opening behind there - more square, more vertical. Maybe it's a decoy for fun, maybe they're planning ahead for a supercharged Jag V8 soccer mom version, I don't know. We should assume there are utility versions with rubber floor mats and vinyl seats, and lux versions for Suburbia. A metal-sided Defender 110 in the UK is taxed as a commercial vehicle.

We'll see!

oh, PS....a video comment shows 20" wheels, yow. But apparently that's to cover big rotor diameter. And apparently there are tall sidewall 20s available - I don't know much about that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	iln97d58wav21.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	7201481
                    Last edited by LateFan; 05-03-2019, 12:36 PM.

Comment

So I'm really interested to see how much they drew from Series design heritage - that would be cool in my view and would make it more popular with skeptics who want to continue making rickety Defenders forever. It's a very difficult thing to do without making it a cartoon or a mess - see retro T-Bird, retro MGB front wheel drive convertible, or a bit better example retro Mustang and retro first gen BMW mini cooper. The LR3 did this well, in a very modern way - there are a lot of Series clues in it.

So obviously I come from the design world and the car world, so here are some elements I MIGHT see in that Tusk prototype.

Name:	1961_land_rover_series_ii.jpg
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	7201482

Name:	S III 109 side.jpg
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	7201483

Name:	Series II front.jpg
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	7201484

Name:	Series rear.jpg
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	7201485
                      (The bumper / exposed frame rail essentially stops and tapers up at the door line - I didn't mean the hitch)

So sweet, so functional.

Name:	S II softtop rear.jpg
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	7201486
                      Last edited by LateFan; 05-03-2019, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Testing time at an African wildlife conservation agency, and then a world premiere for JLR's new-generation 4x4 hero in a few months

"A Defender prototype wearing camo will experience life at Kenya's Borana Conservancy towing heavy loads, wading through rivers and carrying supplies across unforgiving terrain over the 14,000-hectare reserve."

"By the time the new Defender makes its public debut later this year, JLR reckons it will have passed more than 45,000 individual tests "in some of the most extreme environments on earth".

"Engineers have taken the test fleet to the 50-degree (122F) heat of the desert, the sub 40-degree (-40F) cold of the Arctic, as well as up to 10,000ft altitude of the Rocky Mountains in Colorado."

"In addition to the extensive simulation and rig testing, we've driven new Defender 1.2 million kilometres across all terrains and in extreme climates," said JLR's engineering chief Nick Rogers."

"The incredible opportunity to put it to the test in the field, supporting operations at the Borana Conservancy in Kenya, with Tusk, will allow our engineers to verify that we are meeting this target as we enter the final phase of our development programme."

Name:	2020-land-rover-defender-1.2-million-km-5.jpg
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	7201545

Name:	Land-Rover-Defender-Tusk-Teaser.jpg
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	7201546

Name:	LR-Defender-2020-gear-patrol-slide-6-970x650.jpg
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	7201547

Name:	Land-Rover-Defender-Spy-Shots-8.jpg
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	7201548

Name:	2020-land-rover-defender-testing-2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	7201549

I just want it to be good, and solid, and reliable. And have a rubber floor mats and roll-up windows version. If they're decent, maybe they'll be affordable used in 5 or 10 years.

We'll see.

Comment

Worried its going to be a high end expensive offroader like the G Wagen instead of a utilitarian go anywhere truck.
                          1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                          willschnitz

Comment

Yep, exactly. Is it going to be 50 to 70k? How’s that gonna work in third world markets? And it doesn’t seem like a power company utility truck in the UK at that level. The only big cost savings is sharing this new platform’s development cost with a new Discovery and RRSport.

Comment

I believe there are roundish headlights inside that rectangular glass cover, inboard of two stacked marker lights and then probably a bunch of LEDs because flashy.
                              The rain gutter looks really heavy - faked, or to carry big racks...?
                              The big side trim above the door handles looks faked. It's just chopped rough at door cuts.
                              I see door glass frames, not flush glass.
                              I'll bet that seam on the wheel arches is black plastic. to make the openings look bigger / taller.
                              How much of that front valance/apron is skid plate, or do you have to add it?
                              Has a wide track for the body width, wheels out at the corners.
                              Has a bit of a tough bulldog look from the front - that's good.

Name:	Defendernewcamo1.jpg
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	7201555

Name:	Defendernewcamo2.jpg
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	7201556

His Royal Prince-ness likes it.