No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL Land Rover thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice - I like the pale green one with steelies.

Bigfoot stops to watch a LR….

Click image for larger version

Name:	Defenderoffroad002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	7173023

I like these pickups

Click image for larger version

Name:	1-Defender-110-Pick-Up-Worth-Street-NYC1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	7173024

Comment

I've been seriously considering a LR Disco for a DD. Unfortunately, the only two discos I've driven broke down on me while I was test driving them. So I'm kind of looking into an FJ80 or 4runner now lol. Which year Disco would you guys recommend? I've heard some say the series I are the best... and others say the '03 and '04 series II is best. I just want something that can tow my E30 if need be and maybe do a bit of wheeling now and again, but mostly daily duty.
      -Alex

Comment

Series II is is the switch from Lucas to Bosch, which is a preference thing I suppose. I prefer the interior on the DII for sure. Mine is an '01 with 160k, it's starting to show it's age but I love it, so much character and super easy to work on. It tows the e30 ok, as long as you aren't using a really heavy trailer. Don't buy one that hasn't been cared for
        - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Series II it is then. Don't have good experiences with Lucas electronics haha. Would you drive your Disco to California and back? Assuming we live in a fantasy world where gas is free.

I found one on craigslist I kinda like. It's a '99 with 176k and looks to be well taken care of. Apparently it needs an O2 sensor, an exhaust gasket, and the headliner and door locks are messed up.
          -Alex

Comment

We like our '95 D1. Simple, easy to work on, much simpler electronics, coil springs, shorter, lighter, more maneuverable. Same engine and injection as the NAS 110s. Some Lucas, yes.

Comment

I also prefer the D1. Super simple, nicer suspension and better looking.

I'd also say the chances of catastrophic engine failure (cracked blocks or slipped liners) is almost unheard of in the earlier trucks as well. But really with any RV8 you'll be doing head gaskets if you're into it for the long term, it really isn't that hard or that expensive of a job so it wouldn't put me off owning another.

Comment

D1 for me. D2 gets into all sorts of electronic jiggery-pokery with the diffs/brakes/TC. And since it is a Rover it usually turns into jiggery-buggery. (Google: Discovery Three Amigos)

Comment

Disco 2 I just picked up is great!

No 3 amigos. HG done. Basically it's Inufaye's D2.

Charging system seems a bit wonky. Need to get a multimeter on it.

Also brakes need bled methinks. Kinda mushy.

Otherwise, drives great. Going to feel it out with around the town driving before taking it the 40+ miles to work. Need to get some OEM fog lamps....and look into retrofitting heated seats and windscreen.
                  1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Alright guys I seriously need some help... I understand this is kind off topic so if you want me to start a new thread I will.

I'm looking at THIS 4runner and THIS Disco II. Can't find any decent Series I discos at the moment.

I need something that can handle 40 miles a day to work and some occasional off roading or towing. Both owners are pretty up front, and they have no problem with me getting the car PPI'd, and both cars look clean (although I haven't driven them yet). Disco has service records, 4runner owner is 'looking for them'. I have always loved the Disco and the way they look, but I feel like the 4runner might be a better (cheaper) idea in the long run. What say the fine people of R3V?
                    -Alex

Comment

Up front, for the record, I'm no expert on either of these.

But I don't think they're even in the same class are they? Like comparing a BMW sedan to a Ford sedan.

Everyone will probably tell you the Toyota is more reliable, and maybe that's correct, but it's the V6 not the 4, and I don't know anything about that engine.

The LR seems to be in pretty nice condition, with records - that's a plus. Is it running poorly and they THINK it's an o2 sensor? Has someone told them that? Find out. And find out what they've fixed and when. Sometimes they don't stay fixed.

I've driven a high miles 4runner and it was a sloppy, rattley mess. Crappy steering, crappy seats, loose suspension, plastic falling off. Maybe the engine will last forever but the rest of it didn't impress me. Not a fair review of an average one, I know. Just stuck with me.

The LR is a way nicer car, and extremely capable. Will need more attention and maybe cause some frustration. The mileage for long commutes won't be pretty - what does the Toyota get?

Everybody will tell you buy the Toyota. I wouldn't.

Comment

I like the disco.

Comment

Watch those 4Runners for frame rust. Had one come in for a PPI and it was literally swiss cheese.

Also check the Disco's rear frame arches for rust.

Being in GA, probably less of a concern.

Also, no headgaskets done on Disco? WHAA?
                          1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
                            Watch those 4Runners for frame rust. Had one come in for a PPI and it was literally swiss cheese.

Also check the Disco's rear frame arches for rust.

Being in GA, probably less of a concern.

Also, no headgaskets done on Disco? WHAA?
                            Mine has never had headgaskets either
                            - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

What's a good rover classic forum?

Comment

Originally posted by quickervicar View Post
                                D1 for me. D2 gets into all sorts of electronic jiggery-pokery with the diffs/brakes/TC. And since it is a Rover it usually turns into jiggery-buggery. (Google: Discovery Three Amigos)
                                I agree. D2 looks nice and had some improvements here and there, but you're right, electronic problems can be a PITA. The Autel AL619 scan tool gets rid of the 3 amigos. :D
                                Last edited by Andrew325is; 01-26-2015, 12:00 AM.
                                Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

Working...
                                X