Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• varg
    replied
    Engine isolated from the truck, why is it that you'd rather deal with a Duramax? Not that I've worked on Duramaxes, but I have worked on the 6BT family and they are by all accounts a less problem prone engine (dowel pin and for 24V engine lift pump => VP pump failures, that's it) that is easier to work on. The same thing that makes a 6BT harder to work on than a car engine applies to a Duramax too; everything is heavy. But the duramax is also a hot V and at least looks like a bit of a pain when I've seen it. Example; valve adjustment on a 24V 6BT vs Duramax, just looking at the engine bay I'd rather do 3 6BTs than one Duramax.

One thing that's completely absent in me is any kind of fanboyism. Example. BMWs? Not a fan. E30; big fan. Call it an artifact of being on the spectrum or whatever, but I don't do brand favoritism, I get obsessed with the details. The best heavy duty SUV? From what I've seen plus my experience it's a Suburban. The best diesel engine in a non commercial truck? From what I've seen and my experience, 6BT. Put them together for a win. Conveniently there have been a lot of those swaps done so there are parts for it. Transmission choice is a bit more tricky.

Leave a comment:

• mrsleeve
    replied
    Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

Read first, read again, then get angry. Wrote Isuzu engines, and LBZ/LLY are the two I have direct experience with, not sure why you think I'm taking Cummins. Not much wrong with a BT series, other than their weight that is about equal to one solar mass.
    LLYs have their quirks, trust me I know, I have owned one for the last 13 or 14 years, would rather have an LBZ but those in good shape are like hens teeth soaked in unicorn piss even compared to my 110k mile LLY. Still would rather deal with a LLY/LBZ than 12v 6bt ( a 24v 6bt could be debatable depending on application) but the shipping crate and transmission options are still deplorable when it comes to any of the cummins options up to and including the v8 thing in Pitiful Datsun pickup offering a couple of years ago .

Leave a comment:

• MrBurgundy
    replied
    Originally posted by flyboyx View Post

I think a resonator on a setup like this would be a must
    I'm thinking the bottleneck on the car now will be good enough. Hopefully I dont regret this...

I think people who end up with bad drone end up with that from getting large ID dual pipes going through a dual in and out straight through muffler. We'll see, getting it put on tomorrow

Leave a comment:

• flyboyx
    replied
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
    pshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I havent gotten a haircut in 3 or 4 years LOL

Also, haven't shaved my beard in 3 months

I'm going to look like Tom Hanks in Castaway by the time this blows over.

Finally caved in and got a Vibrant muff. he he he

The e30 was too quiet.. Got boring.. Hopefully the new setup doesn't drone like a MFer, but hopefully going to a single 2.5 pipe to a long ass bottleneck resonator will help out.
    I think a resonator on a setup like this would be a must

Leave a comment:

• varg
    replied
    Admirable. I figure I'll have as much hair as you by the time I'm 35.

What the heck are you talking about? Posting below another post without quoting it is just how a thread works.

Sounds like you might be having a rough day, so hope your evening goes well.
    Don't try to be condescending. You don't have to quote someone to reply to them when you're directly below. That's just how threads work.

See how that works? Now accept the misunderstanding and move on.

Leave a comment:

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    My wife has been trimming my hair since e46's were hot. I keep threatening to shave it bald, but she like this "faux-hawk" thing she does to the 14 hairs left in the front. When you been married this long, and have this many kids, you learn to just let the world accept you the way you are....
    ‚Äč

Leave a comment:

• roguetoaster
    replied
    Originally posted by varg View Post

Why were you replying to me talking about engines I said I had no interest in? Not sure why you thought your post on duramax engines was relevant to my plans.
    What the heck are you talking about? Posting below another post without quoting it is just how a thread works.

Sounds like you might be having a rough day, so hope your evening goes well.

Leave a comment:

• varg
    replied

Read first, read again, then get angry. Wrote Isuzu engines, and LBZ/LLY are the two I have direct experience with, not sure why you think I'm taking Cummins. Not much wrong with a BT series, other than their weight that is about equal to one solar mass.
    Why were you replying to me talking about engines I said I had no interest in? Not sure why you thought your post on duramax engines was relevant to my plans.

Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
    I cut my own hair. I use a number 2 all the way around. Then I have my wife trim my neck and ears.
    Good. I was doing the same thing, minus the help, for years until I finally got tired of the thinning and just started shaving my head. Genetics got me good on that one, hairline started moving back in high school and by 29 you could count the hairs on my 'widow's peak' ish thing.

It fucking sucks.

Leave a comment:

• roguetoaster
    replied
    Originally posted by varg View Post
    A 6BT isn't a V8... I cannot consider advice from someone who would think it is lol

Leave a comment:

• MrBurgundy
    replied
    pshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I havent gotten a haircut in 3 or 4 years LOL

Also, haven't shaved my beard in 3 months

I'm going to look like Tom Hanks in Castaway by the time this blows over.

Finally caved in and got a Vibrant muff. he he he

The e30 was too quiet.. Got boring.. Hopefully the new setup doesn't drone like a MFer, but hopefully going to a single 2.5 pipe to a long ass bottleneck resonator will help out.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    I saw my neighbor giving out cuts this weekend and was tempted to go ask for a trim, but I actually have hair and not just a #1 on the side and a #2 or whatever on top... Im just going to let mine grow out.... Ive also reduced the every other day shave down to once a week, when the next becomes unbearable

Leave a comment:

• majdomo
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

Sonny finally gave up

As far as drives during the week, thats more of a SoCal chit chat question, but being that Im a SoCal chitchat-er Ive considered doing stuff like that but being where I am, it would be about a 3 hour rendezvous, but that being said I regularly take the Datsun on a Saturday Morning drive, mostly in the Malibu area though. I need to hit more of those Angeles / Tujunga roads, but just havent.. yet
    thank you sir. more socal chitchat, sucks i missed the dockweiler event. was busy and couldn't go, now i'm busy but have time and CAN'T go. /socalchitchat

on haircuts - i recently transitioned to a higher-maintenance hairstyle that is looking more shaggy by the day. previously was of the "just buzz it" crowd but needed to look more...protestant... for my work.

Leave a comment:

• TeXJ
    replied
    I cut my own hair. I use a number 2 all the way around. Then I have my wife trim my neck and ears.

Leave a comment:

• varg
    replied
    Cut your own hair. Buzz cut.

Frankly, V8 diesels in full size trucks are just generally user unfriendly and fairly expensive to own, so unless you have a real use case I'd encourage you to skip them.
    A 6BT isn't a V8... I cannot consider advice from someone who would think it is lol

Leave a comment:

• Melon
    replied
    Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
    I desperately need a hair cut.
    Same.

I got one the Friday before the lockdown started, but by the end of this week I'll need to use more than a dime sized spot of shampoo. That's just unacceptable.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X