Nonsense Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
    I would not know what to do with all the free time I would have on my hands working 8 hours a day, I am at the office before 6am, and normally I am in the field by 830ish after herding all the cats through the office and cleaning up all the paper work messes they make. Then get to work till someplace about dark, and then do my paper work for the day for at least an hour, for free on this job, God this is one of the worst jobs I have been thrown into in a long time..... Come to think of it, the last one that was this crappy was the last time I was working around this particular construction contractor............ Never again, will I work around this contractor, I will starve to death 1st .

Sorry for the bitch fest just needed to vent a little bit
    Dude we are here to listen <3

What type of work are you doing?
    1990 325is
    m52b28
    3.73lsd
    g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Let me begin my post by stating that I was born in Botswana while my parents were immigrating from South Africa. Being from S. Africa means that if your colored (like myself) you have a mixed heritage (german, Scottish, Irish and Indian) and don't really appear "black", but the US, many consider me to be mulatto?.

Anyway my gf and I have been to together for a very long time (I'll just leave it at that). She was born and raised on a farm outside the city I grew up in, in Saskatchewan. Since we met I've learnt the value of fresh produce. Not only how it can have oodles of flavor in it's natural state, but also the effect it has on your health and overall well being.

This weekend my gf and I went to Seattle. While there I wanted to try "Soul food" as I never had the opportunity while growing up in Saskatchewan. My parent's never cooked traditional African American foods, so being part Indian we ate a lot of curries etc.

I researched a few places and came across a place called "The Comfort Zone". I googled it and it got an astounding 4.8/5 so I thought I'd be in for a great experience.
      Whell! Let me preface this by saying I should have given up after we got to the restaurant and there was no signage, just an address. The area was little rough looking, but I wasn't going to judge a book by it's cover, so my Ukranian/Hungarian gf and I proceeded in. Once we got in we were greeted by a few welcoming individuals. They were definetly the stereotypical "African American" types you'd see on TV, but they were very nice....to me. The GF on the other hand received a few shocked looks (I found this quite entertaining, as she finally got to experience how I felt being around mostly white people my whole life). We proceeded to the table where we were seated at the back of the restaurant. After we were seated I noticed the doorway where we entered had an archway which looked familiar...I thought back and after a while I realized I was looking at a metal detector....this place had a freaking metal detector! What the hell had I gotten us into?!?!

The menu offered was exactly like I expected with things like "hush puppies" , collard greens and chicken and waffles. I've always wanted to try fried chicken and waffles so obviously that's what I ordered. My gf ordered a few sides including the mashed potatoes and gravy, greens and something else. Once it arrived I was rather disappointed. I mean, I thought the chicken would have been seasoned (like KFC) but it wasn't. It was just greasy and salty. I was rather disappointed that the waffles were just....waffles...I mean there was no syrup, no jam, no whipped cream or anything...then again that's probably just a Canadian thing. The sides my gf ordered did have flavor to it, but they also were all very salty.

After we paid we left. We then proceeded to one of the Whole Foods grocery stores we often frequent when in the Seattle area (the one in Bellevue, or Redmond, I couldn't remember). We'd enjoyed the food there before, but to say I was relieved to be back eating healthy, nutritious food that was fresh...was an understatement. Never had I been so happy to get back to eating food that was normal to me.

After a while i realized that the probable cause for most African Americans being angry and hostile, is because they are eating terrible food that has little to no nutritional content. I remembered how different I felt when I started eating more vegetables in my early 20's. Needless to say I don't think I'll be looking for anymore "soul food" experiences. If I want something bad, I'll have poutine with a big juicy burger!

So that's how I spent my weekend. Also checked out the Seattle premium outlet mall where I found some high quality Calvin Klein Dress shirts and some other stuff from A&F.

Tl;dr Ate soul food while in rough part of Seattle. realized why black people have attitude, bought some dressy clothes.
      If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

I don't know that I'd consider Seattle as a destination for Soul Food. If you want true Soul Food, you need to get it in the Deep South (AL, GA, MS, TN).
        Originally posted by kronus
        would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Lol. So, I'm white as a sheet and I also know that soul food is really fattening/unhealthy. Also, I'm pretty much of the same descent as your gf. As all of you know, I travel...a lot. I love to try local cuisine wherever I go. I've had Soul in lots of places. Some very good and some terrible. Generally speaking, I FUCKING LOVE soul food. Oxtail stew baby!! Collard greens, peach cobbler! Yessir!!!! I'll have some!!!!

Just because an ethnic restaurant has good reviews, doesn't mean the food is good. I attribute this to two things: first, a bunch of stupid white people that have no idea what good food is, and second, all those reviews are written by the proprietors family members.

The best soul food hands down is in Savannah, ga. For you, this is a long way from Kansas so to speak, but a place called Mrs. Wilkes is the fucking shit! I'm pretty sure the food you ate in Seattle was crap by the way you describe it.

As you your theory about angry black people, I would go a step further and say that soul food generally makes people fat as buffalos, thus making them angry as shit.

Lol
          sigpic
          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
          92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
          88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
          88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
          87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
          12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
            I don't know that I'd consider Seattle as a destination for Soul Food. If you want true Soul Food, you need to get it in the Deep South (AL, GA, MS, TN).

Vicksburg MS. Still the best soul food I've ever eaten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Originally posted by flyboyx
            how about if i yank the anal beads out of your ass like i'm trying to pull start a chain saw?
            Originally posted by Northern
            beer is my new liver cleanse.

Henna - '84 Hennarot 325e
            Lola - '89 Schwarz 325is - being saved
            Christine - '88 Schwarz 325is - Spec E30 Racecar
            '01 White F150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew - Daily
            Dad's '05 Interlagosblau M3

Comment

By the way, just to go a step further, I have had Soul at about 7 or 8 different places in the Houston metro area. As you know, texas is definitely the south-however it is out of the "according to hoyle" regional area of this cuisine. I can't think of a single instance here where any of those restaurants came anywhere close to knocking my socks off even though the reviews were stellar.

Not exactly, but somewhat related to Stanley's post:

Flyboyx's secret to ethnic food: when you walk into an ethnic restaurant during a busy time, if all you see is a bunch of white people, it probably is complete shit. Turn around, high tail it out of there and find somewhere else to eat. Also, it's pretty damn rare (albeit possible) to find a good ethnic restaurant out of it's regional element.
              Last edited by flyboyx; 09-19-2017, 06:12 AM.
              sigpic
              Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post

Vicksburg MS. Still the best soul food I've ever eaten.

Originally posted by flyboyx
                how about if i yank the anal beads out of your ass like i'm trying to pull start a chain saw?
                Originally posted by Northern
                beer is my new liver cleanse.

Henna - '84 Hennarot 325e
                Lola - '89 Schwarz 325is - being saved
                Christine - '88 Schwarz 325is - Spec E30 Racecar
                '01 White F150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew - Daily
                Dad's '05 Interlagosblau M3

Comment

We've got Roscoes Chicken & Waffles here. Ive loved the chicken and finally one day I decided Im going to eat the chicken and waffles together, and wow. Love it. Its definitely not something I would eat very often, but its worth it

BTW I wouldnt call Roscoes Soul Food haha
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Hmm, thanks for the info Flyboy, and yes, I think it was bogus reviews from friends/family members which boosted the google online reviews.

I think I'll continue my search for good soul food. Might have to take a trip down south to find it tho.

Off topic:
                    If a chic considers herself "BBW", if you told her you always considered Miss. Piggy from the Muppets attractive, do you think she'd consider this a compliment?

serious question here...asking for a friend, of course.
                    If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

I think whomever you told would most likely take that the wrong way, even though her character is supposed to portray bigger women as being attractive.
                      Originally posted by wholepailofwater
                      Q
                      :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Sweet Georgia Brown if you're in the Dallas area and wanting Soul Food.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/sweet-georg...-buffet-dallas
                        1990 325is
                        m52b28
                        3.73lsd
                        g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

I want to try some Soul from Seoul

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
                          (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post

Off topic:
                            If a chic considers herself "BBW", if you told her you always considered Miss. Piggy from the Muppets attractive, do you think she'd consider this a compliment?

serious question here...asking for a friend, of course.
                            um....yeah! sometimes i wake up in the morning and i say to myself: "i need a good punch in the nose." i think this would be just the ticket.;D

Originally posted by 15Michaeljoseph View Post
                            I want to try some Soul from Seoul

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
                            yes we do actually have a few fantastic korean places around here! yummy yum yum!

i think my favorite regional cuisine from the usa is definitely cajun/creole. we have tons of these restaurants around here. in my opinion, they can't compare to the the food you get in southern louisiana. sometimes i wake up in the middle of the night craving crawfish étouffée.
                            Last edited by flyboyx; 09-19-2017, 06:24 AM.
                            sigpic
                            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                              um....yeah! sometimes i wake up in the morning and i say to myself: "i need a good punch in the nose." i think this would be just the ticket.;D
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Touch of soul in Oakland if you're ever in the bay ! So good. Haven't ran into much soul food here in Austin.

i love bmws

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Working...
                                X