X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McGyver
    replied
    Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

You should just buy my 95 F150 short bed, regular cab, RWD, manual transmission since I'm only down in MD. It even has a build thread on r3v. I've only put close to 6k in parts on a 1k truck that I intend to sell for 3k, so it seems normal.
    That would be a good option, but I'm trying to find something that can fit in my garage and close the door. I'm estimating the garage will be around 204" when finished and the internet says your truck is 197 in. So it might fit, but that's super tight.

That's why I was thinking about a small cab short bed mini truck.

Leave a comment:

• MrBurgundy
    replied

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	134.8 KB ID:	10118685

It was one of these....

I will always stand on this hill... E39 530i 5spd is the best sedan ever made

Leave a comment:

• roguetoaster
    replied
    Originally posted by McGyver View Post

Huh, that's a good idea. I really want a cheap manual small pickup for hauling dirty stuff. Prices on the 80s-90s s10/ragnger/sonoma/dakota are all stupid high for such a bare bones car. Maybe an auction would get something decent!
    You should just buy my 95 F150 short bed, regular cab, RWD, manual transmission since I'm only down in MD. It even has a build thread on r3v. I've only put close to 6k in parts on a 1k truck that I intend to sell for 3k, so it seems normal.

Leave a comment:

• McGyver
    replied
    You guys might try your local public auction for some adventure. Ended up with two on cheeky low bids today, another SVT Contour (my 4th one), and a manual 2.3l 2003 Ranger. Even with fees and shipping they're cheap.
    Huh, that's a good idea. I really want a cheap manual small pickup for hauling dirty stuff. Prices on the 80s-90s s10/ragnger/sonoma/dakota are all stupid high for such a bare bones car. Maybe an auction would get something decent!

Leave a comment:

• Northern
    replied

To cap the day off a friend offered their high mileage E39 530i sport M/T for a very low price, so I had to say yes to that too.
    Best spec. Would love one of these, but I'm also looking at E34 tourings more and more as well thanks to Varg and some other internet builds.
    Carsandbids prices are high vs historical values, but still very cheap vs anything else I am interested in, short of an LR3 claptrap for offroading shenanigans with friends

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    What kind of Alfa?

Leave a comment:

• DEV0 E30
    replied
    Originally posted by varg View Post

N52s, does anyone make a viable standalone so you don't have to dick around with all of the integrated systems BS that OEM EMS comes with? I'm so spoiled by having had megasquirt in my long term cars that I almost can't imagine any project without fully tunable aftermarket EMS. As for the fit, I have a friend who likes his as a "don't care about it" daily/beater. Also in his stable are 2 classic BMWs I like and an FD, so I trust his judgement that it's fun on the twisty roads up in his neck of the woods and very useful.

This forum software sucks major ass, multi-quote used to be much easier.

​Unfortunately, OEM only to my knowledge and there aren't many out there that can deal with the OEM DME stuff.
    It's why I have multiple DMEs and two were modified and "jail broken" so I have a backup.
    I think somewhere in my endless bins of parts I have an unbroken as another spare.

But yes, the 128i keeps getting recommended and they are going up. Already seen some rather overpriced examples recently.
    I think under 10k, that would be a solid attempt to have modern E30 feels.

Agreed, multi-quote hasn't worked for me for many years now, have to manually copy paste.

Originally posted by Panici View Post
    I'd like to own an E39 manual, preferably with the V8.
    Wouldn't be a long term car, but I'd like to see what all the hype is about!
    Same. As others have said, steering is better in the 6 cylinder cars, and I knew someone who's dad had 3 528i's.
    He considered it the BEST BMW of all time, and didn't want it always in the shop.
    He had money to own newer BMWs, but didn't want anything but the E39.
    I think 2 were manual and one was auto for his wife.

That said, if I had the money I'd also want to experience at least a year with an E39 M5.
    It is funny though, that is an over 20 year old car now. Unless it was a family mover... realistically anything I'd consider is still around 20 years old at newest.

Leave a comment:

• roguetoaster
    replied
    Originally posted by Panici View Post
    The only thing that lets an E39 V8 model down is the steering, it's just a bit vague, and I'd argue that the rack equipped cars are superior.

On the plus side, the steering makes it feel more like a classic muscle car when you're shredding the rear tire(s).

Leave a comment:

• Panici
    replied

Leave a comment:

• roguetoaster
    replied
    You guys might try your local public auction for some adventure. Ended up with two on cheeky low bids today, another SVT Contour (my 4th one), and a manual 2.3l 2003 Ranger. Even with fees and shipping they're cheap.

To cap the day off a friend offered their high mileage E39 530i sport M/T for a very low price, so I had to say yes to that too.

Three potentially fun vehicles for $2900, which becomes just over 4k after fees/shipping/titling.

That's less than the price of one scrappy E30.

Leave a comment:

• varg
    replied

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
    It's an interesting concept and I can see how the equal length makes it sounds better. I'm wondering if BMW didn't use them because of the added cost to manufacture, or the added back-pressure/decreased flow impacts performance. There's no way those squiggles are doing anything good for flow.
    There's probably some measurable (with sufficiently precise instrumentation) pressure difference at the turbine outlets, but there's no chance it makes a noticeable difference in performance until you're making too much power to use stock sized pipes anyway. Changes like that don't tend to produce any appreciable result until you're pushing the limits of the flow area of the pipe.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
    Yay N52 talk! Someday, the N52 in my e30 will run, sigh. Looking forward to it, it is an amazing engine, and the engine isn't too much money, just everything else is to make it work in a car it didn't come in.
    (snip)
    2. Honda Fit, Manual - (again used, probably GE gen) Slippery fun slope to a slow but fun car, no engine swap, but suspension? Sure. It echoes back to the golden era Hondas but unlike those, not too much concern of it getting stolen.
    N52s, does anyone make a viable standalone so you don't have to dick around with all of the integrated systems BS that OEM EMS comes with? I'm so spoiled by having had megasquirt in my long term cars that I almost can't imagine any project without fully tunable aftermarket EMS. As for the fit, I have a friend who likes his as a "don't care about it" daily/beater. Also in his stable are 2 classic BMWs I like and an FD, so I trust his judgement that it's fun on the twisty roads up in his neck of the woods and very useful.

Originally posted by Northern View Post
    I think almost everything I've been interested in for the past few years has priced itself out of contention (at least north of the border here)
    Yeah it's hard to not get that feeling anywhere right now. Crappy E30s are several thousand dollars... I can't think of anything good and fun that's cheap. Just cheap and (maybe) fun but definitely crap i.e. 350Zs. With the prices consistently going up I'm angling for buying an FD, one of my all time favorite cars, before I'm just no longer able to afford one anymore. I keep hoping for something that will hurt the used car market in my favor, but instead we get stuff like losing a major port and disrupting the supply chain, again. Yay more scarcity pressure.

This forum software sucks major ass, multi-quote used to be much easier.

Leave a comment:

• roguetoaster
    replied
    ^
    Giulia or Stelvio driver? They're significantly different around here.

Leave a comment:

• MrBurgundy
    replied
    Today someone made fun of my e30 lol

I was diving up to a red light and I did a siccccc down downshift as I was passing some newer alfa and the dude then he rolls by and laughs! So when my arrow turned green I pulled up next to him and was like what's so funny? And he goes "that little car" HA! Then he proceeds to drive away and reached his arm out the window and pats the door of his alfa..

Never had that happen before Loool I felt like this was some wish.com scene out of fast and furious

Leave a comment:

• MrBurgundy
    replied
    NA r56 MINI coopers are the best bang for your buck for fuel to cost of ownership, including purchase price..

They zip around and car great to drive.. Plenty of room for the tall boys.

Easily 40 MPG on the highway.

Fuck buying a new car to save on gas... kinda defeats the purpose.. Buy some used turd that's almost embarrassing to be in.

Leave a comment:

• DEV0 E30
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    I've said it before, and us as "old" E30 owners can attest to, currently the 00s are the E30s of our youth. They are relatively cheap being at the bottom of their depreciation and if you can find one thats been well-maintained around its 2nd or 3rd owner, its a great buy to have as a daily driver so the E30 can be driven for enjoyment. I like my current 06 TDI Jetta, it offers excellent fuel economy and is fully 'throw-away' status if something bad were to happen. I wanted a E39 530 with a manual box, but the MPG it was going to return made it much less appealing. If I commuted at freeway speeds I could've made a case for it. the MK5 had a bunch of failing plastic and an old 6-disc changer headunit but some cheap ebay switches and then a good headunit has bluetooth, and some other goodies so its now modern enough.

Good time to buy a 330 with either a M54 or even an N52. I think the turbo stuff will falter and I think eventually a 128i would be a wonderful buy
    ​Going back a bit in this thread, for more N52 love. I already think the 128i is being seen as a great buy if you can get a clean one. They are showing to be a good fit for something analog-ish and simple compared to other models. You know, on a budget and all. The 1M was one of the best lover letters ever IMO. I think there is something to be said about doing the absolute minimal amount of modifications and just enjoying the damn car as a car. This is usually something newer vehicles have over older ones obviously.

Originally posted by Northern View Post
    I think almost everything I've been interested in for the past few years has priced itself out of contention (at least north of the border here)

Otherwise I have half a mind to just get the nicest Land Rover LR4 I can find and try to keep it alive forever instead of continually upgrading the larger daily.
    You're spot on that new cars + rates are not at all appealing. There aren't many "new" vehicles that tickle my fancy honestly. The GR86 or BRZ is one of few, maybe Miata too - but family needs and space sort of take precedent. The E30 will run some day, so that's the fun checkbox for me. Any other real car purchases, aside from maybe some cheap distractions would need to fit multiple roles.

The new Land Cruiser US (Prado) and GX550 are cool, but again pricing wise plus markups are going to be even more insane. Also, unproven reliability - more so for the LC (GX550's V6 twin turbo is in other vehicles already). I love the idea of the new LC getting 20+ mpgs, but the hybrid turbo 4 hasn't been proven, but I suspect it will. I mean it will be an option on the new Tacoma and 4 Runner on higher trims, 3 vehicles that share a lot. Still though, a used v8 200 series I think is going to be a better deal, MPG be damned. That's a special use case vehicle though, and would only really make sense if I no longer owned the 100. I do think an R2S would be a great people mover as said before, but having paid off older vehicles is just an easier thing to stomach these days.
    Last edited by DEV0 E30; 04-16-2024, 12:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X