Nonsense Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Melon View Post

Basic bitch M20 can run all day as long as it stays cool.
    m20 is so underrated. We just finished yet another 14hr race. 267 laps in 14 hours averaging 90mph, most of which was wide open. Burned 1.5qt of oil on a dilapidated/modified 200k mile engine during the process. We traveled approximately 1000 miles during that time.

mrsleeve agree, the 5.3 in my Chevy conversion van gets 20mpg with a light foot and has 260k miles, lifting the valve covers, and changing the water pump during routine maintenance proved it to be mint inside still.

bradnic it was a pleasure to work on the car, let mum know she has a local-ish place she can trust :)
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
      m20 is so underrated. We just finished yet another 14hr race. 267 laps in 14 hours averaging 90mph, most of which was wide open. Burned 1.5qt of oil on a dilapidated/modified 200k mile engine during the process. We traveled approximately 1000 miles during that time.
      It's almost as if BMW actually built reliable engines at some point. Had a very similar experience with an M42.

Comment

I was always taught to be humble, but hard NOT to be happy when your engine does this...

First place in SCCA Runoffs! M20b25 adhering to EP rules. Cam is open, must be stock sized vales, stock intake manifold, stock sized throttle body, 12.5:1 max compression, no porting allowed, only valve job....
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	8053901C-3599-4460-99A9-10882C1422AA.png
Views:	733
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	9872876
          I was always taught to be humble, but hard NOT to be happy when your engine does this...

First place in SCCA Runoffs! M20b25 adhering to EP rules. Cam is open, must be stock sized vales, stock intake manifold, stock sized throttle body, 12.5:1 max compression, no porting allowed, only valve job....
          Nice work!! Those rules really suit a M20. What can and compression did you guys go with?

In other news...
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post

It was an I6 desinged for SUVs, HP wasn't a goal.

I had trailblazer with the I6 and it was nice.... ..for a small SUV.

lots of torque down low.. lots..

like ~250 beginning somewhere ~1500 rpm
            Fine, but who would ever want to swap it into anything else but a pile of crap GM suv? A 2006 N52 in SI trim makes 265hp from 3 liters. And they last 400,000 miles (at least). 250ft/lb isn't much to brag about either, especially not from such a large engine.

It's no wonder GM went bankrupt and cost us $10 billion (in losses) to bail them out.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

daym boi that mazda thing was on it too.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post

Fine, but who would ever want to swap it into anything else but a pile of crap GM suv? A 2006 N52 in SI trim makes 265hp from 3 liters. And they last 400,000 miles (at least). 250ft/lb isn't much to brag about either, especially not from such a large engine.

It's no wonder GM went bankrupt and cost us $10 billion (in losses) to bail them out.
                GM doesn't make complex engines, they make pretty simple engines.
                It's two very different philosophies between how the Germans engineer and the American's engineer.

I mean, looks at the LS and LT, basic, but functional.
                I do things.

Comment

It's just funny is all. They're like 10 years behind everyone else (not just BMW). The LS motors are good, but everything else - meh. There's a reason they focus so much energy on trucks & SUVs.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

After watching this video on the new B58 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MckxlP60cnY

Id argue that the LS1 was years ahead of competitors. Simplicity is good, compare a M60 to a LS1 from the same year. Now new GM motors are getting to complex, dry sump, DOHC, etc. While the new BMW's are looking to be less and less complex (i've never worked on a new one to be clear).
                    91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
                    Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
                    E30 can make you, E30 can break you
                    "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

Nice work!! Those rules really suit a M20. What can and compression did you guys go with?

In other news...
                      Class limit of exactly 12.5:1 (cc'd the chambers), 288 cam, SuperTech valves/springs/retainers 8000rpm limiter.

john@m20guru.com
                      Links:

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post

250ft/lb at very low RPM, flat TQ curve made for towing. Just like the lm7 having a truck cam in it. They weren't looking for HP. Let's see how that n52 hauls a 5,000lb trailer lol.

I had a Chevy 1 ton truck back int he late 90's, think it was an '86 model with the 4.8 i6. Thing could barely get out of it's own way, but had no problem towing my 4 ton trailer - specially with the 4.10 and 6.xx:1 granny gear heh.
                        john@m20guru.com
                        Links:

Comment

Class limit of exactly 12.5:1 (cc'd the chambers), 288 cam, SuperTech valves/springs/retainers 8000rpm limiter.
                          This makes me moist.
                          I do things.

Comment

250ft/lb at very low RPM, flat TQ curve made for towing. Just like the lm7 having a truck cam in it. They weren't looking for HP. Let's see how that n52 hauls a 5,000lb trailer lol.

I had a Chevy 1 ton truck back int he late 90's, think it was an '86 model with the 4.8 i6. Thing could barely get out of it's own way, but had no problem towing my 4 ton trailer - specially with the 4.10 and 6.xx:1 granny gear heh.
                            Same with the Ford 4.9L Straight six, or better known as "The 300"
                            Slow as balls, tons of torque.
                            I do things.

Comment

please tell me theres a dyno video

Originally posted by Melon View Post

This makes me moist.

Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                                If high compression and high revving engines make me gay, then stick a dick in me and call me Percy.

I do things.

Comment

Working...
                                X