No announcement yet.

Nonsense Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was doing burble tunes before it was cool. My Volvo 240 made much better sounds with DFCO turned off than my E30 ever did though, and I'm not sure why. I could never get the M20 to do more than a couple of pops here and there but the B21FT would crackle and burble like my bike.

IG @turbovarg
    '91 318is, M20 turbo
    [CoTM: 4-18]
    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
    - updated 3-17

Comment

The imitation burble tune's coming on M cars are a very real thing. I've driven a M2c and if its between 2500 and 4000 you just tap the throttle (like you where pushing a button, it take no effort) and it makes pops for a few seconds. Its all show and its only there to make low speed downshifts cool. Its so fake, you can predict it every time, the period, loudness, and when it happens. I know the car has piped in audio, you really cant tell which is the fallacy right? Inside the car it sounds very good, and if you didn't know better you wouldn't know.
      91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
      Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
      E30 can make you, E30 can break you
      "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

Originally posted by Melon View Post

This is a real thing for most modern performance oriented cars.

GTI, Mustang, BMW, they all do it in one form or another. Either noise pipe, or digitally.
        I know they exist, which is bad enough, but I was asking about people actually going to the effort of tuning the fake engine noise.

Whoever thought up that idea to start with should be shot.

Comment

open downpipe sounds like the car is underwater in a weird way

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
            open downpipe sounds like the car is underwater in a weird way
            m20/m30 turbos with open exhaust remind me of my old inboard GM v8 boat lol.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
              I know they exist, which is bad enough, but I was asking about people actually going to the effort of tuning the fake engine noise.

There's a Renault (IIRC) that allows you to change the speaker noise to a Megane, Clio V6, and an F1 car. That's kinda cool.
              I do things.

Comment

Originally posted by Melon View Post

There's a Renault (IIRC) that allows you to change the speaker noise to a Megane, Clio V6, and an F1 car. That's kinda cool.
                ...about as cool as farting in a spacesuit.
                john@m20guru.com
                Links:

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post

yes, tuning the fake noise is a real thing. like gigantic kidneys with LED lights and roundels that don't rotate with the wheels.. cause you know, stuff that matters and all.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

The new "cool" feature BMW has put is like a Jedi control move on the car. It basically reads your hand motion and can do certain tasks... like turning the volume up/down ... because turning a knob was just too much f'n work
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Yeah it seems like all the new turbo cars (including BMWs) have burble tunes on them either stock or aftermarket. It's even a thing on the older cars (MKIV VW, E36, Z33, etc.) Not sure which came first but I look forward to it going away. Pops and flames are an earned byproduct of power. Under 3k, rpm they sound stupid.

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                      i remember when i first joined this rodeo, everyone was like: fuck that shitty m20. it is ghey! lets swap in an m50 bitches!!!!
                      it is good to see that that conventional thinking has come back full circle. nowdays, it seems like people are like: what? you dropped an m50 in your e30? how can you be such a lame ass?

Yeah, seems to be the case as of recent. E30 value appreciation has something to do with it probably. But ripping the M20 out of a perfectly clean car was never a good idea. So glad I recently finished my 24V swap... but it was an M10 auto so at least that.

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                      I've gained a lot more experience since, specially in the last 3yr or so. For comparison, in 2015 it took me larger valves, porting, headers, stand alone and ITB's to break 180whp, I now do that just mixing/matching/balancing stock parts, no porting or headers and using the stock ECU etc.
                      Digger knows his stuff. He has sent a few stateside clients over my way when they are looking for m20 cylinder heads.

Would you care to elaborate on the things you've learned about building engines? There's some info that can only be learned from experience and I would assume that this is it.

ThatOneEuroE30: Usually I type all my anger out in a word doc when dealing with something like that. Then I wait 24hr to talk to that person about it if possible. It helped me not burn a lot of bridges.
                      Originally posted by Melon
                      Engine work takes patience and finesse.

Suspension work takes anger, a big fucking hammer, and a torch.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                        The new "cool" feature BMW has put is like a Jedi control move on the car. It basically reads your hand motion and can do certain tasks... like turning the volume up/down ... because turning a knob was just too much f'n work
                        Well they took away all the knobs and made everything a touchscreen so you need to stare at the screen and navigate through 5 menus to find the buttons. Then they realized they had created a safety problem and used it to market/sell a solution... just wonderful.

In other news, I said I would drive the Ninja 250R for another year, but went out and bought a thrashed CBR600F4 last night for $1000. It runs/stops nice, but the fairings are bad, it pops out of second gear, dash/headlight wiring is destroyed, and just generally needs a lot of love.
                        Originally posted by priapism
                        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                        Originally posted by shameson
                        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by CMBusch View Post
                          Would you care to elaborate on the things you've learned about building engines? There's some info that can only be learned from experience and I would assume that this is it.

The biggest thing was moving the head machining in house. We had a race car in Finland about 4 years ago who flow tested the head after he got it, and it didn't match the numbers here. Couldn't figure it out at first, then realized it was the valve jobs being done at the local machine shop. We did all the flow research and bought the seat cutters to suit. Never thought anything of it since the cutters for the local's Serdi machine cut all the angles in one short. So, we did a little experiment and ported a head, flow tested it before and after bringing it to the machinist - it had lost significant flow. Now I use a machine that cuts each angle, one at a time which is a bit more labor intensive than a single pass on a Serdi, but as the old saying goes "The machine is only as good as the operator." Another big one was getting the perfect squish on the angular part of the m20 pistons/885 heads. Milling the head, torquing it down, measuring squish, then pulling it back off to get the perfect number. The m20 really likes .037-.039" of space between the head and piston. Then little details like weight matching all the components to within tenths of grams, double/triple checking clearances, polishing bearing surfaces etc. I guess in a nutshell, QC has been the biggest factor - stopped subletting out as much work as possible. There's a huge difference between caring and someone who operates a machine for a paycheck.
                          john@m20guru.com
                          Links:

Comment

Dang. Made a post, then edited it for a typo, and it gets flagged for spam lol.
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                              Dang. Made a post, then edited it for a typo, and it gets flagged for spam lol.
                              I got you lol ...
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

I got you lol ...
                                Thanks. Figure it would get handled, but why flag as spam if editing? That's like the third time it's happened to me on the new site. :(
                                john@m20guru.com
                                Links:

Comment

Working...
                                X