X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
    if you notice
    check out all the 03 06 ish corollas
    they are 100% every single one of them have rusted out roofs.
    I had a 2006 that was my girlfriends daily. I did a paint correction on the clear and kept it waxed and well taken care of.
    That being said, it did hold up longer than many others, and I sold it right as I could see the clear delaminating.

That car was a tank though, she had two fender benders and it was in my garage when the house flooded. It sat in 18" of water, and had no issues.
    I did strip the interior out, clean all connectors, steam cleaned all the carpets too, so it never had a smell.

I sold it to a couple of Mexicans who loaded it up on a trailer and shipped it south.
    I do things.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post

The EPA has had a strong hand in this as well.
      100% EPA regulated.
      Plants don't spend money for the betterment of the community.

Source: Works for plants.
      I do things.

Comment

So Re: Subaru people:

Reading the forums, they're fucking weird about ringland issues.
        99% of posts about it claim that the stock pistons are defective and the engines knock like crazy from the factory, and the only fix is to run forged pistons. Yet when you see any picture of a disassembled EJ25, there is zero traditional sign of knock.
        Look at the stock ring gap specs, and I see that the top ring is spec'd for .0079" - .0098" gap? That's tighter than an S52, on an engine with more power, a bigger bore, and a turbo?

Is this some kind of bandaid to pass emissions on an engine from the early '90s at the expense of longevity?
        Originally posted by priapism
        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
        Originally posted by shameson
        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Also I guess Toyota started a program for peeling Blizzard Pearl and Super White paint on 2008-2022 model cars where they will repaint the affected panel(s), and then warranty that paint for 10 years. This might be Canada specific, but that's an awfully large window.

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
            So Re: Subaru people:

Reading the forums, they're fucking weird about ringland issues.
            99% of posts about it claim that the stock pistons are defective and the engines knock like crazy from the factory, and the only fix is to run forged pistons. Yet when you see any picture of a disassembled EJ25, there is zero traditional sign of knock.
            Look at the stock ring gap specs, and I see that the top ring is spec'd for .0079" - .0098" gap? That's tighter than an S52, on an engine with more power, a bigger bore, and a turbo?

Is this some kind of bandaid to pass emissions on an engine from the early '90s at the expense of longevity?
            Well... I'm sure you've heard of LS's making 4 digit power with bottom ends that are basically stock EXCEPT the ring gaps get filed out.
            Tight ring gaps are a big risk on a boosted engine.

Comment

i cracked all the pistons on an m30 because the stock gap it was 17 i think.

Comment

Spent Saturday cleaning up and organizing the garage, got a call from someone wanting to look at the KTM, fortunately I had it out and had ran it already. Boom, sold the bike, he asked for $50 lower than what I was advertising it for, Nice.
                I do things.

Comment

Last edited by albrechtmyers; 02-25-2020, 05:37 AM.

Comment

^ Welcome to r3v!

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post

Well... I'm sure you've heard of LS's making 4 digit power with bottom ends that are basically stock EXCEPT the ring gaps get filed out.
                    Tight ring gaps are a big risk on a boosted engine.
                    Yeah it seems pretty fucked. They eventually backed the gap off to something like 0.015" minimum in 2012 iirc, but even that seems a little on the small side. Not sure what they were trying to do that made them go with a gap so tight in the first place.

After I left my subaru buddy's house last night, he got the heads off and sent me pics. One cam bearing journal had a lot of localized black carbon residue in the oil, and I'm wondering what the chance is that the head is cracked vs it just being a head gasket problem.

Comment

^ also some hilarious other tidbits:

Turbo oil return hose was cracked all the way around in two places and was the source of the oil pissing out the back of the engine.
                      The leaking uppipe flange was leaking because it was double gasketed...
                      Flywheel looks like it was resurfaced with an axe
                      Has an "Exedy Stage 1 Racing Clutch" just like the sticker we made fun of on my parts car e36
                      Ebay TD04 turbo, has a little thrust play but no radial, may use that as an excuse for something slightly larger
                      First valve cover bolt that he removed took a piece of the valve cover with it
                      Has some aftermarket oil pickup and pan baffle from "Killer Bee" which apparently exists because the stock pickup likes to snap off.
                      Last edited by Northern; 02-17-2020, 08:01 AM.

Comment

the thought crossed my mind that we should have a "gearhead nonsense" thread because that is unfortunately pretty much all that gets posted here anymore. then it occurred to me to me that since this is the only content here anymore, there would be nothing to read in the regular nonsense thread.

i think i am going to go paint my ceiling beige.......yawn.
                        sigpic
                        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                        92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                        88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                        88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                        87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                        12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by albrechtmyers View Post
                          hi everybody,
                          decided to join your community
                          I'm a little excited because everything here is very well organized
                          Willkommen
                          I do things.

Comment

we all are gear heads though anyway?

also, the intake valves on my m30 has this nasty gunk on them idk what it could be except #2

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
                              we all are gear heads though anyway?

also, the intake valves on my m30 has this nasty gunk on them idk what it could be except #2
                              I'm not a gearhead, I'm more of a Sprocket Sphincter.

Oil from the crankcase vent?
                              I do things.

Comment

as a sprocket sphincter you should know running the breather into the intake is for tree hugers

Comment

Working...
                                X