Nonsense Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
    but I would think having 9 psi of oil pressure, you'd start to hear some banging going on in the motor or maybe a piston that might want to free itself. Check with a mechanical gauge like was suggested. You maybe able to rent one from O'Reily or VatoZone
    Nah, it's common for M20s have shit oil pressure at hot idle and it doesn't seem to bother them. The oil pressure light switch is basically off = yes, on = no. I was pretty alarmed at how low my hot idle oil pressure got a times after installing a gauge, but was informed that it was pretty normal for it to be scary low when hot with with M20. I think it was 10psi/1000rpm = OK. With most engines I've owned 10psi at idle would have meant it's time to get ready for an engine out experience, but not an M20. Crappy oil pump, big clearances? I dunno which is the cause.

IG @turbovarg
    '91 318is, M20 turbo
    [CoTM: 4-18]
    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
    - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post

Nah, it's common for M20s have shit oil pressure at hot idle and it doesn't seem to bother them. The oil pressure light switch is basically off = yes, on = no. I was pretty alarmed at how low my hot idle oil pressure got a times after installing a gauge, but was informed that it was pretty normal for it to be scary low when hot with with M20. I think it was 10psi/1000rpm = OK. With most engines I've owned 10psi at idle would have meant it's time to get ready for an engine out experience, but not an M20. Crappy oil pump, big clearances? I dunno which is the cause.
      lol I've seen 7 psi at idle in my m42 waiting on track on HOT summer days with 20w50 VR1 I mean engine still runs fine it seems like other than having some blow by
      -Dee
      5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
      IG: @deebelmont

Comment

Wonder who told you that? :P
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

hot dang!
          1990 325is
          m52b28
          3.73lsd
          g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

Yup, I usually am up and out of the house by 7:30ish and am back home before 10am. Just depends on which path I take
            I'm going to join you one of these weeks, hopefully next weekend if you dont mind.

I'm going to send my seats in for a recover in two weeks, so my car is going to be out of commission for however long this dude takes, and when it comes to upholstery guys, they usually take forever.

How are the roads now? Are there a shitload of cyclists or what?
            Originally posted by wholepailofwater
            Q
            :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

That's why thicker oils are recommended on these old machines (from factory).
              If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Yeah I think part of my problem is my oil was too thin, looking at 15w40 diesel oil since that's apparently popular, or valvoline VR1 20w50. Gonna have some time to research while my new filter gets here.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post

I'm going to join you one of these weeks, hopefully next weekend if you dont mind.

How are the roads now? Are there a shitload of cyclists or what?
                  They aren’t bad, just have to get out early and it’s pretty quiet. There has been more of a CHP presence but I think their priority is to make sure people aren’t gathering...

rturbo 930 I just picked up 2 5qt jugs of Valvoline VR 20/50 with the high zinc content from O’Reillys for $30 each. I need 7 quarts total for the Datsun lol
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
                    Yeah I think part of my problem is my oil was too thin, looking at 15w40 diesel oil since that's apparently popular, or valvoline VR1 20w50. Gonna have some time to research while my new filter gets here.

I've been using the VR1, it's easy to get locally, and it's what Bimmerheads recommended.
                    I do things.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                      I need 7 quarts total for the Datsun lol
                      7 quarts for that diminutive thing? Wack.

I have been cooking up plans of something that would make that oil change look diminutive for when I start my career after graduating. I've decided that a bulletproof diesel is the ideal daily driver and hauler for me while I restore the E30, and those who have interacted with me can probably guess that the diesel I'd be after is a 6BT. I want to put one in a 2WD 2500 Suburban, and that I'd like nothing more than for that Suburban to also be a sleeper.

IG @turbovarg
                      '91 318is, M20 turbo
                      - updated 1-26

Comment

I have been cooking up plans of something that would make that oil change look diminutive for when I start my career after graduating. I've decided that a bulletproof diesel is the ideal daily driver and hauler for me while I restore the E30, and those who have interacted with me can probably guess that the diesel I'd be after is a 6BT. I want to put one in a 2WD 2500 Suburban, and that I'd like nothing more than for that Suburban to also be a sleeper.
                        If I were to eject on my Canyon, I'd most likely get a Ram 2500 just for the Cummins engine.
                        I do things.

Comment

A Ram 2500 is a mobile shipping crate for a Cummins engine.

IG @turbovarg
                          '91 318is, M20 turbo
                          - updated 1-26

Comment

Yup, a 2L motor, but has the larger aluminum oil pan that was its form of cooling.
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:
                            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

A Ram 2500 is a mobile shipping crate for a Cummins engine.
                              And that shipping crate is a pile of garbage. New ones are falling apart after 30k miles ( we used to get them as lease rigs for work we have swapped to ford powerstrokes in the last 3 years) older ones eat front ends...

For a 2wd burb swap.... LBZ duramax all the way. Much easier to integrate electronically. You will have to run a small body lift (or get very midevil with a bfh) to get the tunnel to clear the allison bell housing... I would also start with a 3/4 ton burb, they were available through the 14 model year iirc but a 2wd one might be tough to come by.
                              Originally posted by Fusion
                              If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                              The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                              William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                                Much easier to integrate electronically. You will have to run a small body lift (or get very midevil with a bfh) to get the tunnel to clear the allison bell housing... I would also start with a 3/4 ton burb, they were available through the 14 model year iirc but a 2wd one might be tough to come by.
                                I have no interest in anything newer than GMT800, that covers the electronics part pretty nicely, and 2500s are 3/4 tons. Electronically, putting a 6BT in a GMT400 Suburban will be child's play compared to some of the wiring messes I've sorted out, mounting accessories will be a lot more trouble. I have plenty of time to think about it, and choosing a transmission that will last behind something making 1000lb-ft at the crank is going to take some thinking.

IG @turbovarg
                                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                                - updated 1-26

Comment

Working...
                                X