• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roguetoaster
    replied
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post

The car I saw that on was a 3.5 eco boof

Maybe ford does some weird shit with their package options that makes that hard to do or impossible.
    IIRC the 2.7 and 3.5 are effectively completely different platforms for whatever reason.

Leave a comment:

• MrBurgundy
    replied
    Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

I think the transverse Cyclone engine configs suffer from that issue, but there may be some other applications I'm unaware of.

It would be basic, but apparently we hate regular cab shorties without 4WD in the US.
    The car I saw that on was a 3.5 eco boof

Maybe ford does some weird shit with their package options that makes that hard to do or impossible.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    bangn That sounds like the SR20 is perfect. Im not too familiar with them but I know a few people in the Datsun Roadster forums who made some silly NA power with those

Leave a comment:

• roguetoaster
    replied

Had no idea Ford was using port and DI, that's pretty wild.

I wonder if they redesigned the water pump. I remember I had an ecoboost come in the shop and it was mixing water and oil due to the water pump failing which was part of the timing chain system... Pretty stupid design.

Odd that you cant find a truck in that spec.. Seems pretty basic
    I think the transverse Cyclone engine configs suffer from that issue, but there may be some other applications I'm unaware of.

It would be basic, but apparently we hate regular cab shorties without 4WD in the US.

Leave a comment:

• bangn
    replied
    Yeh it took a while to decide on the SR20, I've got the red 325 m20 turbo, a 2019 sti and this 323 which has a lot.of sentimental value as it was my mothers in the 80s. I've been pining for another nissan for AGES but with 3 cars in the garage room is tight for projects so I decided to mod the car that sits in the corner doing nothing. If mounting wasn't such a problem I would of put an RB in it however engine mounts are very difficult to pull off successfully as the RB mounts sit very far forward.

A 1j was on the cards for a while but I kept finding I would run into booster issues and I refuse to butcher this car.

the SR is just perfect for the car, loads of room, loads of support and there's no butchering to get it in there. I've never owned an SR so it will be good to work on something else for a change, I'm kind of sick of losing my knuckles on late model bmw engines and boxers. I have a steel liner m52 sitting there but I'd like to keep that for a rainy day.

Beams are a great engine but really hard to find in Australia with a gearbox. Tbh I would of loved to put in a 20v blacktop as ive had a few of those and theyre great fun, however toyota boxes of that era are made of glass and impossible to find now. SRs there's no shortage and you have adapters for other boxes

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Theres some big tiddy bitch I saw on insta that has an SR20 swapped e30

Sounds like.... Nissan.....
    Pics?

Leave a comment:

• MrBurgundy
    replied
    Theres some big tiddy bitch I saw on insta that has an SR20 swapped e30

Sounds like.... Nissan.....

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by bangn View Post
    So picked up this thing on the weekend with a gearbox. 960km round trip to get it which was just super but I think it will be good fun in the 323. You could say room is a bit tight right now with everything in and the door shut.
    I love some of those JDM engine swaps into E30s, but sadly they only seem to work well on a RHD car due to the intake/exhaust arrangement.

Go for it! I always thought the BEAMS would be nice, but an SR20 is no slouch, they build up some wild ones and swap them into the Datsun Roadsters

Leave a comment:

• MrBurgundy
    replied
    Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

That's the plan, if it's any good at least. I've been shopping an impossibe to find, at least in the sub 15k range, 2015-19 F150 2.7 regular cab shorty, and want to change it up in the interim. Ideally that next F150 will be an 18 or 19 as the 2.7 got port injection in addition to DI. No 2020s for me with the additional safety shit I don't want.

It's amazing how hard it has been to find that truck with power windows, bluetooth and tow prep. Have found a few but there's always something wrong, and it's hard to get a real answer from dealers.

If I had to I'd settle for an 8ft bed, but it would need to live outside.
    Had no idea Ford was using port and DI, that's pretty wild.

I wonder if they redesigned the water pump. I remember I had an ecoboost come in the shop and it was mixing water and oil due to the water pump failing which was part of the timing chain system... Pretty stupid design.

Odd that you cant find a truck in that spec.. Seems pretty basic

Leave a comment:

• Northern
    replied
    Originally posted by econti View Post

Brilliant cars but boy howdy the maintenance can be a killer. Mum has one, had it since new, now got 240,000km on the clock, 150k miles or so. It hasn't had any major failures as its the 2.7 diesel not the 3.0, which snaps cranks and has myriad other issues, but still needed a new torque converter, is hard on bushes and shocks, and the trans will blow up at some point.
    God it is nice to drive though. Tows like a champ too. The V8s are great as well.
    I've seen diesels around, but I don't think they were sold in NA in any real volume (maybe not at all?) so options are either be a V8 or SCV6. I've heard the crank issues with the Diesels through LRTIME's Youtube channel.

I think they're the last good looking thing LR ever made. New Defender is OK I guess, D5 went all "Ford Explorer" looking, but they seem like they're depreciating harder than the LR4 and are probably easier on maintenance so I was looking at those around the time I bought my Volvo.
    I figure if it's something I genuinely like and won't get bored of once it's old, it will be worth the maintenance cost.
    My ideal spec would be a 2014+ HSE with Lux and HD (2-speed t-case + locking rear diff) packages. I just like the facelift front end, and the 8-speed sounds like a big upgrade from the 5-speed. The SCV6 is supposed to be more reliable but I'm on the fence about whether I believe it or not - I half believe it's just because they're newer.

I'd settle for a similarly equipped 2013 because I like the idea of the V8, or for something I would take on trails - a very good deal on anything post-2010 (just because the 2010s are oddballs in a lot of ways).

Around here, they are far too expensive, but pretty reasonable (for 2024) on CarAndBids if I'm willing to travel.
    There was my exact ideal spec for sale here recently but I'm broke from kid/kitchen reno/garage build lol

Leave a comment:

• bangn
    replied
    So picked up this thing on the weekend with a gearbox. 960km round trip to get it which was just super but I think it will be good fun in the 323. You could say room is a bit tight right now with everything in and the door shut.

Leave a comment:

• econti
    replied
    Originally posted by Northern View Post
    Otherwise I have half a mind to just get the nicest Land Rover LR4 I can find and try to keep it alive forever instead of continually upgrading the larger daily.
    Brilliant cars but boy howdy the maintenance can be a killer. Mum has one, had it since new, now got 240,000km on the clock, 150k miles or so. It hasn't had any major failures as its the 2.7 diesel not the 3.0, which snaps cranks and has myriad other issues, but still needed a new torque converter, is hard on bushes and shocks, and the trans will blow up at some point.
    God it is nice to drive though. Tows like a champ too. The V8s are great as well.

Leave a comment:

• roguetoaster
    replied
    Toast, are you going to rock Ranger instead of the F150?
    That's the plan, if it's any good at least. I've been shopping an impossibe to find, at least in the sub 15k range, 2015-19 F150 2.7 regular cab shorty, and want to change it up in the interim. Ideally that next F150 will be an 18 or 19 as the 2.7 got port injection in addition to DI. No 2020s for me with the additional safety shit I don't want.

It's amazing how hard it has been to find that truck with power windows, bluetooth and tow prep. Have found a few but there's always something wrong, and it's hard to get a real answer from dealers.

If I had to I'd settle for an 8ft bed, but it would need to live outside.

Leave a comment:

• MrBurgundy
    replied
    Toast, are you going to rock Ranger instead of the F150?

Leave a comment:

• roguetoaster
    replied
    Originally posted by McGyver View Post
    That would be a good option, but I'm trying to find something that can fit in my garage and close the door. I'm estimating the garage will be around 204" when finished and the internet says your truck is 197 in. So it might fit, but that's super tight.

That's why I was thinking about a small cab short bed mini truck.
    I have another 20 inches of depth in my garage and I would say it fits conveiently. However, typical 8ft regular cab trucks either just don't fit or fit with nothing to spare if you tap the rear wall. It's funny since I ended up picking this one because of how it fit in the garage.

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

LOL oh yea, from 2021 the Year of Trucks on R3V

I think 2024's theme is cheap shitboxes
    It would seem so, averaging $1040 per vehicle over five so far this year. The classic buy a cheap car and spend 2x the purchase price on maintenance has pretty much been accurate.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X