Learn me on Type 1 Beetles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andy.B View Post
    I would counter that it really depends on how you are doing to use it. I would rather daily a later bug, while I would prefer to restore a pre 67. Supers especially have a lot of safety improvements, more cargo room, and drive like much modern car. A 55 looks cooler, sure, but it is less powerful, less safe, preforms worse, and costs more.

I guess it largely comes down to budget, and intended use.

I have a small fortune invested into my bus, even though it is a less desirable baywindow, but like I said, 99.9% of the population doesn't know the difference, and from the driver seat, it is just as fun. If I had it to do over again I would have started with a vanagon, just for reliability and creature comforts sake.

If you get a good deal on a solid late model, I say go for it!

Something I have learned about air-cooled VWs, they are best enjoyed on their own terms. There is nothing like driving down the road in a slammed Type 1 or 2, but they can be very finicky. I enjoyed them much more when I didn't need to rely on them for DD duties and I always enjoy a car when it looks good (so for me personally, early is the only way to go).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you can't daily one reliably or that late model bugs/buses aren't for some people.

If I had the money I would have a 61 or earlier rag right now.

Dustin Wark | Instagram tumblrFlickr

Comment

I had a 67 Cal bug back in the 80s. Fun car and daily drove it. Modding the car is not too expensive and it makes a lot of difference. Installed sway bars, headers, 009 distributor. Bug front seats suck so change them as soon as you can. Back then I found some Ford Fiesta seats and put them on. Big difference, took care of a lot of the bouncing. I remember driving in the rain you had to pump the brakes to get them to dry otherwise it took longer to stop (scary sometimes)

Comment

I DDed a 1958 sedan that I grafted a rag top sunroof to then later added a FrameWorks NHRA legal cage and 3" 4 point Diest belts and Scat ProCar seats. I also ended up with a 1966 cc (76 stroke x 90.5 bore) blowthrough turbo motor with 45mm Dellortos and Dean Lowery 40x35.5 valve heads. I also ran an Isuzu Impulse intercooler and a 12"x12" oil cooler both mounted to the rear torsion housing with a custom box and 2200 cfm 14" fans. Also a built trans. 4" narrowed beam, Porsche 356 front drums and t3 rear brakes, sway-a-way adjustable spring plates and rear torsion bars.

With everything it was fun and fast, but I have vivid memories of broken clutch cables and clutch parts. I also remember broken throttle cables happening way too often!
        seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by der affe View Post

People get supers because they are cheap because the are less desirable.

They are popular in Europe as a road race car, but you are going to put tons of money into the to make them handle like they are on rails.

All but the early supers had that giant ugly dash too.

If supers are so desired for race cars, why are 95% of the drag cars built on early model cars???
          You are dead wrong on your assumptions.
          Clearly you have a lot of experience and are very knowledgeable, and in not trying to argue with that, but some people, like myself, sought out a super BECAUSE of the handling potential, which can be achieved without "tons of money". And there are tons of people with non stock offset/width tires happily driving around, shimmy free. Like I said, I never had a problem.

Drag racing != road racing, or autocross, or ...

The lightest ones are the best choice for drag, and drag is huge in the vw community. Spend some time on the sbo forum, or thesamba's 68+ bug forum (as I am sure you have) and there are plenty of people who love their late models and supers. The posts aren't all "man, PSH, I wish I had a 67 or earlier instead of this stupid 68 pile of garbage!"

I'm just trying to make it clear to the op that even late acvw's have value, and can be great cars, and that he shouldn't miss out on what could be a great deal, just because it doesn't fall in line with your preferences.

And if we are talking personal preference, I prefer the curved windshield/big dash cars. And I don't even own one anymore.

Again, I respect your knowledge and experience, but just because you don't like a certain model, that doesn't mean no one should.

Comment

first off, thank you guys so much for all the info, you've exceeded my expectations, I wasn't aware you guys were all so knowledgeable on air cooled VW's! I'll start by saying this will be my DD but for me a daily commute is literally 2-3 miles at most. I also have a backup just in case so no worries on getting stranded. I have also found a 66' bug which has a build 1776 motor and a redone interior, but definitely needs some paint.
            If the white 73' ends up being sold from under me, I will be going to check out the 66'. You guys are right, the pricing difference between a 66' and a 73' is astonishing!
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by Wh33lhop
            VANOS: sometimes you just need to go full retard.

Comment

Posted on Oppo earlier today:

I just got rid of a super about 3 months ago. I'm planning on selling my Miata in the spring to fund a dedicated 'race' build (auto-x/rally-x/ice racing/hpde's/whatever else I can get into). All this beetle talk is causing me to think dangerous thoughts...

Comment

Working...
              X