Africa's Lucrative Used Car Trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nando View Post
    Cash for clunker was created before Obama was president, although he did extend it in 2009. Facts and stuff.. ;)
    Don't care when created for this point. It was extended.

For further insight, my county exec was questioned for all his trips with full staff to Africa. These trips were a huge bill the county incurred. His reasoning was that Africa's economy was important to our county.

There is money to be made there. The county wasn't making any of it...
    ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

When I was in Cambodia it was the same thing. The prices charged to the end buyer were outrageous compared to American and even Canadian prices (ours are higher than US car for car). The people's car there seems to be US-spec camry and corollas. A 2004-ish Camry would still be $20K US for example. You often still see them rocking US university window banners, state smog decals, HOV decals etc.

Comment

This shit is popular. When i sold my 2000 toyota mini van with 235k i had a bunch of people trying to buy it to ship there

Comment

People today just give up on cars, neglect maintenance. Materialistic views of having a "new car" are widespread and they don't understand the point in having a old car. I used to get "why is your car so old, get something new" a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKCHARM88 View Post
            People today in western society just give up on cars, neglect maintenance. Materialistic views of having a "new car" are widespread and they don't understand the point in having a old car. I used to get "why is your car so old, get something new" a lot.
            ftfy

Why not dump it? It's far too expensive to fix and maintain something here in N America as opposed to those African or even S.American countries. Here we have a HUGE credit problem where most people finance/lease everything.

Over there labor is cheap. They also don't have everyone running around with credit cards and financing everything.

So why not only build newer machines to only last for 10 years TOPS (newer BMWs, Toyotas, Honda etc.). These were companies who built their reputation on durability and long lifespan. Now....what's the point? the car will be recycled within 10 years
            If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Working...
            X