X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stanley Rockafella
    replied
    Originally posted by BLACKCHARM88 View Post
    People today in western society just give up on cars, neglect maintenance. Materialistic views of having a "new car" are widespread and they don't understand the point in having a old car. I used to get "why is your car so old, get something new" a lot.
    ftfy

Why not dump it? It's far too expensive to fix and maintain something here in N America as opposed to those African or even S.American countries. Here we have a HUGE credit problem where most people finance/lease everything.

Over there labor is cheap. They also don't have everyone running around with credit cards and financing everything.

So why not only build newer machines to only last for 10 years TOPS (newer BMWs, Toyotas, Honda etc.). These were companies who built their reputation on durability and long lifespan. Now....what's the point? the car will be recycled within 10 years

Leave a comment:

• BLACKCHARM88
    replied
    People today just give up on cars, neglect maintenance. Materialistic views of having a "new car" are widespread and they don't understand the point in having a old car. I used to get "why is your car so old, get something new" a lot.

Leave a comment:

• peter321
    replied
    This shit is popular. When i sold my 2000 toyota mini van with 235k i had a bunch of people trying to buy it to ship there

Leave a comment:

• WhatWentWong
    replied
    When I was in Cambodia it was the same thing. The prices charged to the end buyer were outrageous compared to American and even Canadian prices (ours are higher than US car for car). The people's car there seems to be US-spec camry and corollas. A 2004-ish Camry would still be $20K US for example. You often still see them rocking US university window banners, state smog decals, HOV decals etc.

Leave a comment:

• TimeMachinE30
    replied
    Originally posted by nando View Post
    Cash for clunker was created before Obama was president, although he did extend it in 2009. Facts and stuff.. ;)
    Don't care when created for this point. It was extended.

For further insight, my county exec was questioned for all his trips with full staff to Africa. These trips were a huge bill the county incurred. His reasoning was that Africa's economy was important to our county.

There is money to be made there. The county wasn't making any of it...

Leave a comment:

• M-technik-3
    replied
    That's funny. I have been to Accra Ghana, crazy city. Was there for about a week back in 99 doing flood relief missions. People spoke 5-7 languages and wanted to be paid if you had a conversation with them. They got the typical pound sand response for requests like that.

I did buy a complete bongo drum set for about 40 dollars.

Leave a comment:

• E30_Pare
    replied
    Africa's Lucrative Used Car Trade

These are the dudes that spam your email and steal your monies. Supposedly a popular source of income. The ones that make it are like superstars lol. Figured they must be buying up all the cars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• freeride53
    replied
    ^ haha wtf

Leave a comment:

• E30_Pare
    replied
    i remember going to the yards and all the motors where flagged you couldnt buy parts off them only cosmetic stuff.

Anyways Sakawa Boys connected to this? lol

Last edited by E30_Pare; 11-08-2014, 01:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Exodus_2pt0
    replied
    Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
    No, I wish. If you remember, they all had their engines blown then the cars were subsequently crushed.
    Yup, I worked at a Nissan Dealer when that went down. They had a chemical that was poured into the oil. You then started the car and bounced it off the rev limiter until the engine locked up. It was pretty effective stuff.

What a nightmare though, I saw many very desirable cars meet their demise with the owner completely oblivious that their "clunker" was worth as much if not more than they were getting.

Now, some people really did get a deal. $3500 for a Geo Metro? Yes please.

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
    Obama's stimulating the African economy.... Same reason no Ebola flight restrictions. We have to be supremely concerned with Africa's economy.
    Cash for clunker was created before Obama was president, although he did extend it in 2009. Facts and stuff.. ;)

Leave a comment:

• freeride53
    replied
    Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
    so thats where all those "Cash For Clunkers" cars went too....
    No, I wish. If you remember, they all had their engines blown then the cars were subsequently crushed. It was painful to see it done to a running, rust-free toyota fj60.

Originally posted by Eric View Post
    My Landloard in Germany had a small car lot, and 90% of the stuff he sold was to Africans. They would roll up 10-12 deep and buy a lot of cars to take back. They never got plates or registration, just drove all the way down!
    Lol wtf ! That's quite the drive....

Leave a comment:

• Eric
    replied
    My Landloard in Germany had a small car lot, and 90% of the stuff he sold was to Africans. They would roll up 10-12 deep and buy a lot of cars to take back. They never got plates or registration, just drove all the way down!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Julien
    replied
    Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
    That's where all Germany's E30's went. They used to come to my local yard and buy up tons of spares and all the used tires they could get. Bring a container in and fill it with junk to head down to the Sub Sahara.
    I was in Belgium at a tire store and a guy was acquiring every single bald tire available in a tire shop. I asked him and he said tires are very expensive in Africa, you usually don't go past 3rd gear and weather is rarely an issue... so bald tires it is. He said brake pads are usually take from larger wrecked vehicles (like a truck or bus), cut to shape with a grinder and used in passenger cars. LOOOL

Leave a comment:

• M-technik-3
    replied
    That's where all Germany's E30's went. They used to come to my local yard and buy up tons of spares and all the used tires they could get. Bring a container in and fill it with junk to head down to the Sub Sahara.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X