Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MR E30 325is
    replied
    Old roommate had (2) 3rd gen 4runners, and they were unstoppable. Big fan of them and their resale value.

Raptor all the way. I drive a Tacoma, but I get to enjoy and drive my buddies 2019 Raptor on 37's (among other things) often enough to know they are a truly badass machine. Pricey as hell, and their long term reliability is unknown, but my buddy makes enough to simply trade up for the newest model every few years.

Obligatory pic of insanity.

Untitled by MR E30, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• R3Z3N
    replied
    For info, go here, it covers it all:
    Toyota 4 Runner Forum 3rd Gen buyers guide

I like it so far. I wish I spent a bit more for the comfort of the 4th Gen with V8, but even 3k more was against the point of me buying it. I wanted reliable that I don't care what happens. I do like it though, its relatively comfortable, the things I knew I wanted fixed are easily fixed, even more so than the E30 IMO. I have a good shop here that I can trust, and I bet that will easily be found most anywhere in the country. I tempted an S4, S6, F150, Cayman S, LR4 etc, and just said, screw it, it's cheap and I should be able to put 200k more miles on it. However I only drive maybe 5k a year.....For me its an car that I took the cash from my S54 build that I sold and invested. I don't need nor want more toys right now....

My favorite part? Loading it up with dirty camping stuff and not caring. I fussed over my E30 S54 to the point it was no fun. Once I own a house and my business gets going again and retirement goals are met, I imagine I will spring for a Cybertruck or Raptor, but I hate losing money on toys. I think the 4runner grants me the least money lost once I sell.

Leave a comment:

• phillipj
    replied
    Originally posted by R3Z3N View Post
    I test drove a the 3rd and 4th gen Tacoma, and I love the drive, but the killer of any potential sales was that the 7k 2002 4runner I ended up with had more 2nd row leg room. I really don't get how Toyota fucked up the 2nd row space so damn bad.
    How have you liked owning that gen. of 4runner so far? I have zero background in Toyotas, but by chance looked at one the other day and liked it more than I thought, imagine it's an easy truck to keep going. Yours was about ~200k when you bought it -- aside from the typical, anything specific to keep an eye out for? /thanks

Leave a comment:

• MR E30 325is
    replied
    Originally posted by lambo View Post

ooh that's fun. What bumper are you going with?
    The Addictive Desert Designs Honeybadger plate winch bumper with a Smittybilt X20 synthetic winch.

Browse our selection of aftermarket Toyota Tacoma Front Bumpers. Made in America with free shipping on all bumpers!

Should be shipping this week!

Leave a comment:

• lambo
    replied
    Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
    Wayyy too much cutting and fucking about for a 40k truck, but fuck it. You have to pay to play I suppose.

Tacoma Pre-ADD Honeybadger by MR E30, on Flickr
    ooh that's fun. What bumper are you going with?

Leave a comment:

• R3Z3N
    replied
    I test drove a the 3rd and 4th gen Tacoma, and I love the drive, but the killer of any potential sales was that the 7k 2002 4runner I ended up with had more 2nd row leg room. I really don't get how Toyota fucked up the 2nd row space so damn bad.

Leave a comment:

• MR E30 325is
    replied
    Wayyy too much cutting and fucking about for a 40k truck, but fuck it. You have to pay to play I suppose.

Tacoma Pre-ADD Honeybadger by MR E30, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• slammin.e28
    replied
    Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
    if your going to be dragging a car around a lot, you want a truck or a Suburban with 2500 on the side. Can you tow a car with a smaller rig, yes you can, but I dont like putting 5k+ lbs behind smaller platforms, though most 1/2tons are sufficient

I would say a hundy fits your wish list better than an 80, Though I would be looking at CC pickups with a nice topper if covered storage is important to you, if your going to be dragging cars around all the time. Or a full size 1/2 or bigger SUV from the GM or Ford as they are better suited to towing duties than the IRS equipped Suck-O-yeah
    Yeah, she wants a Suburban/Yukon. I'd rather a Yukon just coz smaller. I really would rather get a Excursion, but they're huge and ridiculous, and expensive for the good engine choice. I think the hundy fits my size and will haul all three kiddos around with no worries. Not a fan of the GM transmissions and not really a fan of any Ford SUV save the Ex. I don't tow all the time, and when I do generally the largest thing is going to be a Discovery. I towed an e38 on a full trailer with the Disco 2 once and it was pretty hairy, however the trailer was a bit on the small side. Normal towing to me would be e30/28....but only occasionally. It's just nice to have the option instead of trying to rely on other people with trucks that can tow. Way I figure is the Toyota will be pretty solid so I don't have to dick with it every weekend to keep it on the road. I'd go for a Rover or X5, I know what goes wrong and how to fix them, but I do that all day for work and don't wanna be dicking with the family hauler when I'd rather spend time with the family or working on a project car. IFC any truck I get I'm going to go thru and do a pretty good baseline service on just so I know it's all done.

I'm assuming the transmissions in the 100s hold up pretty well though, haven't seen much in my research. That's my fear with going with a GM SUV with a 4L60/80.....higher mileage they just don't seem to hold up unless you keep on the service....any nobody ever does.

I don't want a pickup either. My Hardbody does all the picking up I need, but it's also 2wd.....hence the want for a 4x4 SUV.

Leave a comment:

• mrsleeve
    replied
    if your going to be dragging a car around a lot, you want a truck or a Suburban with 2500 on the side. Can you tow a car with a smaller rig, yes you can, but I dont like putting 5k+ lbs behind smaller platforms, though most 1/2tons are sufficient

I would say a hundy fits your wish list better than an 80, Though I would be looking at CC pickups with a nice topper if covered storage is important to you, if your going to be dragging cars around all the time. Or a full size 1/2 or bigger SUV from the GM or Ford as they are better suited to towing duties than the IRS equipped Suck-O-yeah

Leave a comment:

• slammin.e28
    replied
    Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
    ^
    that depends on what you want and if a Solid front axle articulation capability for off the beaten path play time is important to you or if you just want a kid hauler
    Meh, a little bit of both....but mostly kid hauler/car towing.

Leave a comment:

• mrsleeve
    replied
    ^
    that depends on what you want and if a Solid front axle articulation capability for off the beaten path play time is important to you or if you just want a kid hauler

Leave a comment:

• slammin.e28
    replied
    Okay, so I'd be better off with a 100 then, lol. I'm probably going to wait for Spring, but want to gather as much info about them as I can. Figure once Winter is over some of the premium will be down, lol.

Leave a comment:

• mrsleeve
    replied
    from the few posted pic that 80 looks to be in decent shape, the front seats are trashed, it is a factory front and rear diff lock though looks like you will have 7 pin mod it, so you can lock the center diff in high range. Seems like a really good price point, for a locked southern FZJ80. That said I cant see anything that would give me pause on rust, but there are no pictures that show rust prone areas other then the rear hatch itself, and looks like hes been very slective to leave out areas that a strong tells on 80s.... Needs tires... I would also check the floors very carefully as all those leaves can plug sun roof vents and you have very wet and mildewed carpets or paper thin floor sheet metal thanks to the constant moisture. All the shit in the back of it gives me pause that its been used as a storage unit, WHY blown HG and now has Bars leak all up in there, runs hot in the summer and not driven??? No mention of any service work. OEM head gaskets are a known failure point, and while about 500 for OEm parts its a big but pretty straight forward job. 1FZ-FE's are very good at turning petrol into heat and the cooling system is a weak point and the dash gauge can not be trusted as once its start to climb its normally too late, OEM cooling components are a must other than the rad it self, and even then you have to make sure your buying a proven to work replacement. All this said Over all looks to be decent from those photos, but that can be very deceiving, and I suspect they were taken that way for reasons

this is the 80 I would be flying to your neighborhood to pick up, if I had not had to spend the last 3 months off of work for knee sugery.... Its about double what you want to spend and still likely needs a little work to finish base lineig but this is one heck of a deal for current valuation

Quick background: One day this summer, my wife made a passing comment about how she’d love to have an “old land cruiser” as her daily driver. Of course, I didn’t just let this go, and immediately starting hunting around for a clean, low mileage 80. I picked this truck up and started the process...

Leave a comment:

• slammin.e28
    replied
    Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
    Do it slammin.

UZJ100's are awesome. The only thing not awesome is the gas mileage. They drink heavily.

Cross shop LX470's (Lexus version too). I've got one, love it. I am going to get a hybrid or something for a commuter soon, as I want to try to keep short commute miles off of the Luxobarge, but I do love the thing. Once you have a Land Cruiser, you'll always want to have at least one in the stable so to speak.

Dislike when people link insta, but it's what I can get to right now.

More recent, I sold the rack and tent, didn't use it enough: https://www.instagram.com/p/BmtlW45nvxm/

When I got it: https://www.instagram.com/p/BeCLjFunel_/

Followed. And yes, looking at the LX as well, but the seem to command a bit more than I want to spend, albeit less miles. I was trying to stay around the $6500-7500 area, but IK that'll be hard to do with the Toyota Tax....I'm not afraid of miles, just want something that's not rusted to shit or has some terminal illness going on with it.

I really kinda like this one:

https://charlottesville.craigslist.o...018350381.html

If I could sell this damn 2010 328xi I have I'd be on my way down to get it....

Or there's this Lexus 80....Think the Lexus 80 would be a bit more family friendly over a Toyota 100?

Last edited by slammin.e28; 12-03-2019, 03:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mrsleeve
    replied
    DOOOOO IT.

I figured Devo would have responded, and with a touch more detail. We never got the FZJ105 in the US, those mostly went to the UN and to the mid east. A hundy body powered with an F serine (1FZ-FE) engine. The 1FZ-FE left the US market in 97 with the last of 80 series LC. So your looking for a UZJ100 / LX470. ;)

that out of the way..... I am 80 guy, I love my slow old gas chugging beast, like Devo said, once you have one you will likely always have/want to keep one around. A decently cared for hundy will serve you well, especially if you go though it and base line and get things back up to spec. Like any LC their parts cost more than your average unit, but you dont buy them as often. Like any thing with a Land Cruiser badge (including t shirts, hats, camp chairs) they are suffering from the badge tax and every IG posting youth wanting to make sure they can get their starbucks deep into the 651ac state park adjacent to the local airport with out fear of encountering anything that might stymie their vehicular progress (other than traffic) on the mostly improved well maintained gravel surface of said state park. Thusly a Land Cruiser is the only choice (other than subaru of course) for such adventuring and must be acquired for the a-fore mentioned Instagram cred ....

Hundys are fantastic other than their fuel consumption, there are a few points to look out for the early units 98-00 had front diffs that were a little anemic, not like to be an issue unless you really start to push the front diff in difficult ORV situations. Being IFS trucks the 100s went to a torsion bar front suspension set up from a solid front in the 80 series, and a Coilover set up in the latter UZJ200/Lx570 (odd fact the FZJ105 from the Mideast and UN deliveries were still 80 chassis's so they retained the solid front axle). Rust can be an issue in all the usual spots you would look anywhere, the latter years 05-07 got the updated 5 or 6sp transmissions and a light face lift and there for command a bit more a demand cost, on the pricing front. They are very capable rigs but heavy and lack a bit of clearance due to the IFS, but thats not likely to hinder most things your going to get into with a 100, there are plenty of them doing things that any SUV really should not be tackling. The 2UZ is a timing belt engine and will need to be looked after, and the one good side effect of the "overlanding" craze is there is a TON of aftermarket support and people making all kinds of cool goodies for this particular "Luxobarge" that were not there even 5 years ago.

Whats your budget????? Your in Central VA right. There are a lot of LC that pop up in the N VA DC area Clist frequently but again the LC badge tax is kinda heavy in those areas. I was in the Blacksburg area this time last year and was watching Clist and thats where I saw more pop up than anywhere

NO NO NO NO on the Suck-Oh-Ya. IRS and they are scary if you try to tow anything bigger than a lawmower or row boat. Also much much more limiting anything off the beaten path thank to size and IRS clearance issues. They are BIG, they split the size specs right between the equivalent years Tahoe/suburban. If a 100% dedicated kid hauler and 100% road use unit then a Suck-Oh-Yeah might fit the bill, but I would prolly buy the Suburban, little bigger for the kid hauling, can town stuff if needed with out scaring the shit out you, (a bit older and 3/4 ton variant was still available) and its what GM does build very very well. 4runners have a 3rd row to you know and they are everywhere, but if its similar in your area as to mine they are stupid popular and used sell for little discount from new, and fun fact the ONLY mid sized SUV in the US market thats still body on frame construction, and the current 5th gen T4R is nearly identical in all size specs to the Fj80 outside of cargo room as the moved the rear seats back a few inches in the T4R to allow for more front and 2ed row leg room. But Length, track width, wheel base height are all with in an inch or less of the FJ80's dimensions and the 80 was considered a "full size" in the 90's (also the t4R is about 96% Prado Land Cruiser in its current build sheet )

I suggest you hit up Mud
    1998-2007 : Lexus LX470 and 100/105 series Toyota Land Cruiser (J100)

The 40 and 80 sections are the most active though the 100 section is full of tons of knowledge, its the best resource for anything Land Cruiser Around here there are a few of us Devo, myself and Linus are 80 guys and there are a few others i cant think of off hand that are running 100's and 40's

Last edited by mrsleeve; 12-03-2019, 01:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X