No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL: Toyota SUV/truck thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea a set of sliders are at the top of my list. Found a nice looking set of weld-on ones with plates and gussets for $200.

That, and some 265/75r16 Ko2's with new wheels should be a good start. I was going to go with Duratracs, but I've had them before and want try out the ko2's. Lots of reports of failed sidewalls out there, which does concern me.

Thanks for the heads up on the clutch! I sold my RC shit but I actually think I still have some shock oil at the house. Can't remember what it is though, but there's a hobby shop right down the street anyway.
    No E30 Club
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy
    Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
      I predict a lift, Armor, a rack, a Rooftop Tent, and lots of camping/overland gear in your near future, good thing it was only 300 bucks and your not going to have to chase too much in the way mechanical issues :)
      Agreed. Seriously. At that price I'd totally justify all of the accessories and not feel any guilt.

Devo, looks like a fun trip, I really like up there on the top of Mt Lemon, if I had to live in Tucson its going to be in summer haven year round lol, I dont care if its 40 mins to Speedway. When I was down there this last winter I made it up there a couple of times and it gave me a little feeling of home with the trees and snow and what not it was a nice escape, from all the crap I had going on at the time. To bad the gate down the back side was locked when we were up there, or we would have checked it out for sure.
      It was, just a quick zip down for an overnight. I know a lot of people just make it a day trip but I wanted to test some gear, start planning my storage/bed solution for the rear, and see how well the stock hydraulic suspension works - I gotta say I'm still a big fan. Plus if it had a lift, it would no longer fit in the garage, and that's just not something I'd do. It was 122 when I pulled into my driveway Sunday afternoon. I'll plan another trip the same route with some friends with trucks next time. I've seen some premade drawer/storage systems for 100 series but I'd like to do some things differently. I have no need for the 3rd or even 2nd row seats 99.9% of the time. So the plan is to simply make this 2 person friendly only and extend the storage to just behind the driver and passenger seats. One large level platform that has top and drawer access covered in carpet. And instead of the cheap air mattress on top, probably some sort of custom memory foam mattress that is in sections so the storage can be accessed from the top panels instead of only the rear even while being on the platform. While I don't need everything camping or to the point of glamping, since my Naka-naka-not-wanting-to-work-anymore CD player no longer plays any CD's (that happened fast) I'm wanting to push this 16 year old truck into current technology with a better head unit, always on Wifi-hot-spot for maps, and a multi-point camera system. So many ideas, so not enough money.

Just some of the stuff I've been looking at for ideas, and posting so I have a bookmark to one in particular:
      Yes, very popularly I might add.... here is my rear storage for my 80... By trapper50cal at 2011-02-13 By trapper50cal at 2011-02-05 WagonGear and a Hanna Cargo Carrier that I fineggelled out of Corbet. By trapper50cal at 2011-02-13 Leave it to me to dig up an old thread...

It was literally perfect weather at the top compared to the hot bottom, didn't really need the fire until later. Yeah - the change in plant life and scenery is pretty cool to see, every other switchback as you climb it becomes more and more of a real forest, not just high desert. I think the few people who own cabins at the top have it pretty nice. That makes sense, I know when October hits, I think all of the campgrounds close (although this wasn't one) as they prepare for the ski season. Checked out Spencer Canyon, but to pay $20 for a night (no good spots left) and they don't allow you to drive onto the site I knew this spot we passed off the control road is what I wanted. When I camp I personally don't want to be 50 feet from someone else, I want to actually be closer to nature.
      Last edited by DEV0 E30; 06-21-2016, 09:11 AM.
      Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

The KoII's are not too bad but you should look into the Cooper AT3's they took the top spot in a test of some of the bigger players in the AT tire world done over on expedition Portal a couple of years ago. Though this was done prior to the KoII

In nearly three circumnavigations of the globe and hundreds of thousands of overland miles, I have never had a puncture—not a single tire flattened by rock, stick, screw, or nail. This is not to say I have not experienced a flat or two, but it

Yeah the premade drawer set ups are pricey, I am gathering materials and ideas and will put a set up together for mine at some point, though I did make up a attic rack for my soft goods to stay up outta the way this last winter, one of the best mods I have done. Really I dont like sleeping in the truck, I would really look into a rack and rooftop tent for camping duty. Gets you up off the ground, does not burn up space for storage or hauling stuff on the inside, camp set up in under 5 mins and break down in less than 10, All you sleeping gear stays in the thing so you gain storage for other stuff. Yeah wont fit in the garage when tent is on though.
        Last edited by mrsleeve; 06-21-2016, 01:02 PM.
        Originally posted by Fusion
        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
        William Pitt-

Comment

I have Cooper ATPs which are Discount Tire's house label of the AT3. Great tire. They get loud over time though.
          Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
          Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
          Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Yeah the premade drawer set ups are pricey, I am gathering materials and ideas and will put a set up together for mine at some point, though I did make up a attic rack for my soft goods to stay up outta the way this last winter, one of the best mods I have done. Really I dont like sleeping in the truck, I would really look into a rack and rooftop tent for camping duty. Gets you up off the ground, does not burn up space for storage or hauling stuff on the inside, camp set up in under 5 mins and break down in less than 10, All you sleeping gear stays in the thing so you gain storage for other stuff. Yeah wont fit in the garage when tent is on though.
            Yeah I want a RTT at some point, but I like sleeping in the truck and kinda being stealth like until then. When I go RTT I'd like to do a lot of other pricey things at the same time, so I'm trying to hold off on that for now.

Last one from the weekend:

Some quick light painting on long exposure. Spotty and required a lot of burning, but it turned out alright. The 500 lumen spotlight I picked up sure is bright.

Last edited by DEV0 E30; 06-21-2016, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
              Agreed. Seriously. At that price I'd totally justify all of the accessories and not feel any guilt.

. I have no need for the 3rd or even 2nd row seats 99.9% of the time. So the plan is to simply make this 2 person friendly only and extend the storage to just behind the driver and passenger seats. One large level platform that has top and drawer access covered in carpet.
              Do you worry about resale if you ever decide to get rid of it?
              Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
                Awesome shot. I can't wait to do some camping out of the 4r.
                No E30 Club
                Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

^
                  seats just unbolt, and 99% of storage systems are held in by the factory flip up 3rd row floor mounting points. Take storage system out reinstall 2ed row boom resale value restored. Hell in most cases with prepped rig cargo area storage system increase the value beyond what the 3rd row unobstructed does. Removing the 2d row however will likely decrease resale as many/most people like these for family outing rigs.

I really need to build my drawer set up for mine so the dog will have a bit more room back there, and still have all my shit I carry around in my back country rig.
                  If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                  The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                  William Pitt-

Comment

Coolio. Thinking of picking up a 91-2004 4Runner at some point for a hiking rig/tools hauler for my boat.

Comment

Maybe someone else can clarify, but I would be wary of the older 6 cylinder models. Every one I've seen has had a blown head gasket or two.

The 22re is a beast though.

Edit:. Looked it up, avoid the 3.0
                      No E30 Club

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                        Maybe someone else can clarify, but I would be wary of the older 6 cylinder models. Every one I've seen has had a blown head gasket or two.

The 22re is a beast though.
                        3vz-fe is the one that blows head gaskets.
                        Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
                        Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
                        Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

When you say older, is there a cut off to year to this or particular engines outside of 22re?

Comment

nearly everything from every manufacturer in the mid 90s on to the mid 2000's had head gasket issues when the US banned the use of Asbestos in them.

William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by Gerta View Post
                              Do you worry about resale if you ever decide to get rid of it?
                              As sleeve said, they just unbolt. Took 5 minutes. Whatever I do to this I'll make it be able to return to stock, but for how long I intend to keep it... I don't see any cause for concern about resale. Yep, most want the 2nd row. I'm not like most :P

Comment

I was in the hunt for a used GMC or Chevy half ton, but I just pulled into the Toyota dealership and started kicking around the idea of a 2016 taco instead. I might go test drive it this week. Anyone have any experience yet with the 2016's? I know there are a bunch of threads about transmission problems online, but I haven't had time to research it more just yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X