Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mbonder View Post
    Selling that RRC? Hmm...
    Yep. Doing some work on it now in preparation for BaT. It's a really nice driver or candidate for a build. The paint job is decent at best and will limit the value of the truck, but it looks good enough to leave as is and enjoy. Don't know why I said it was a '88 up there, it's a '91 Hunter

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
    Ok hundys are going to excel in spades at what your looking to do with it. Yes its bigger than a T4R, but your wanting more capability out of it pulling a loaded car wagon. Buddy will tell you a V8 4th gen ( 96% of 120 series) is capable of it. Hes right, but its PUSHING the limits of what you can do with it, and stopping is going to be your bigger worry.

To continue the GX series is the only way to get a true Prado Chassis land cruiser in the US the 120 and 150 series. The 4th and 5th gen T4R's are about 96% one and most of the Non LandCruiser parts are more cosmetic and interior bits and bobs. Yes the GX's are a little odd looking but all the good parts out there that fit on T4R's or Prados from Oz or europe will fit by and larger both stock and upgrades.

Now that thats out of the way. The Hundys dont forget the Lexus LX470's are great trucks, I say that about an SUV, because they are built like a truck. IIRC the 5spd was 1st available in 04 but you might be right and it might have been 03, so by going that new your going to avoid teh biggest weakness of the breed. That was the front diffs in 98-2000 units. The other shortcoming is the GM like torsion bar IFS set up, while it works great for a tahoe or a mild duty work truck, its not good for a go anywhere off road exploring rig. Hence why Yota went to coilovers for the 200's ;) But since you seem to want to stick to major roads, and getting to the camp site for the bike tour, a good set of MS AT tires in the next size up and you should be good to go. As far as wife driving it, yes they are a little bigger than many other options out there, but they are far smaller than last couple generations of Tahoe/Yukon and I see people that have no business driving things that big piloting them all the time. If she does not like it buy her a F30 BMW and you keep the LC, it will take time to get used to it if your used to smaller things, but they are well worth the learning curve

They are a timing belt power plant so be mindful of that when shopping, yes parts cost a lot for these rigs, and as a LC guy I suggest going with OEM or proven upgrade parts when needed, as they dont need parts that often. They are one of the few modern vehicles in the marketplace that were built to take an ass kicking every day and last 30 years with basic care, Like all yotas watch out for all the common rusty spots, and if your looking at the LX's the auto leveling suspension is nice but, costly to repair, so most of the time its a good excuse to swap to something more LC like :) I am going to warn you now, you will be hooked, and you will be planing mods and trips to try out your new mods soon. You will not want to drive anything else.

You should be able to find a sub 200k 04ish+ in good shape for your budget, with out issue I have been hawking your local market since labor day since I was working in the Roanoke VA area. Plenty of decent hundys but I am 80 series guy through and through.

Decent looking option in the DC area based on the pics

nice pearl white 06 LX with 125k on for a a touch over the top of you budget in ATL I almost took one of my sundays off to go look at this one but I would rather have another 80

They are out there.
    Awesome, thanks so much for the details. I was aware of the GX/Prado chassis, and am considering those but my wife thinks they look too much like a mom cruiser (which I kind of agree with). I do really like some of the GX Expo builds out there and think they look really good with bumpers and bigger tires. I've driven and towed with my parents 4runner quite a bit and they really just aren't for me, not going to pay the ask for one of those.

I'm totally ok with the parts costs, I'm a 100% DIY guy and just got out of e70 X5 M ownership... Not scared of anything that the LC is going to throw at me as far as maintenance and repairs. As for the size, it's not really a limiting factor but the wife just complains about peripheral visibility problems in our e53 when driving around town (small windows) and doesn't want something that's impossible to park. She was DD'ing my e39 m5 happily for a while, but now that we've moved into downtown Charlotte the traffic on her commute sucks for a manual trans... I leave for work @ 5:15AM and go against traffic, so the e39 is great for ripping down I-77 in the mornings.

I think $15k is the top of my budget, also forgot to mention that I am dead set of grey interior, which seems to be way more common in the LX. I've found that the pricing on IH8MUD is much more reasonable that Craigslist, lots of options in the $11k-13K range.
    - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Yeah Mud is a great resource for information and trucks/parts/help/get togethers and so on there are several of us from here over there. My self and Linus are 2 that come to mind right off.

If she was comfortable with the X5 then the hundy should not be that big of a leap from a size and maneuvering standpoint, while bigger its not like jumping into a Surburban, or a Sequoia, or a 1ton CC DRW. Visibility is actually very good Not quite as Fish Bowl like as 80 Series, but its very good out the back and sides for keeping an eye on blind spots. I picked up a new t4r for my wife last year put a few goodies on it, and she still would rather drive my 80, so be careful you may end up needing 2 cruisers before too long ;) GX's are a great platform for sure I have considered 1 on and off as well, and they can look decent after you get the Lexus stuff off, or replace it with some of the Prado stuff form else where in the world. But if you dont like towing with your parents 120(ish) series v8 t4r then a mildly built GX is not going to make you comfortable either.

The CL/Ebay/ internet listing sites in general have jumped on the LC badge tax in the last 2 years, used to be a fairly obscure car that only those in the know or needed such a rig would buy them ( I didnt need one till about 5 years ago and shopped for almost a year for mine) and there for the used prices were bargain for what your getting. But the get out doors, and go glamping/overlanding (on the dirt road to your state park campground) craze has pushed demand up. The hundy market is not where the 40/60/80 market is, the hipsters dont want a modern looking rig they have to have vintage LOL, but its still kinda up there. The late ones 05-07 hold value well since the 200s are not coming down very fast. they didnt sell many in the midst of the "great ressesion" and with a new 200 being about 88k MSRP and LX570 pushing past the 100k mark with options for 2019, owners are keeping them longer it seems. I will have 200 at some point though.

I know I have seen some decent examples that fit your criteria in your general region it might take a little time to find the right truck, dont be afraid to travel to get it either. After all that gives you an excuse to try it out for a bit on the way home.....

Good luck, I will pass on anything good I find, with a grey int.
      Last edited by mrsleeve; 12-29-2018, 01:05 AM.
      Originally posted by Fusion
      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
      William Pitt-

Comment

Good luck with your search Jonathan! If you end up changing your mind about the GX you can get them for as low as $5k. Nice ones are around 10k all day. But I understand. I’m a Prado fan, but the 100 series does look better especially the facelift with the LED taillights. Searching for deals on Toyotas suck! You got to have the cash and be able to buy the truck an hour after it’s posted lol. When i got a great deal on my last taco I had to look at it 30 mins after it was posted. I’ll let you know if I find anything too. Always looking for Toyota’s. Just picked up an Integra GSR cuz I didn’t want to pay the Taco tax or wait for another deal. I regret selling my last taco, but I’ll be back in a Toyota again after I buy a house.

Comment

Originally posted by Jb325is View Post
          Yep. Doing some work on it now in preparation for BaT. It's a really nice driver or candidate for a build. The paint job is decent at best and will limit the value of the truck, but it looks good enough to leave as is and enjoy. Don't know why I said it was a '88 up there, it's a '91 Hunter
          What kind of money you looking to get? PM with details if that's a better avenue...

Comment

Hmm... Looks like I bought an LX470
            - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

LOL
              that was fast, A 2001 pearl white one with about 138k on the ticker by chance?????
              If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
              The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
              William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                LOL
                that was fast, A 2001 pearl white one with about 138k on the ticker by chance?????
                Yeah, so much for that "dead set on grey interior" thing. Didn't go expecting to buy it, but the Pearl white looks much better in person than in pictures and the tan interior made for a pretty good combo. It's had all of the big ticket items done and doesn't need anything aside from some brake work and a bit of a detail. Pretty happy. Hoping to pick it up next Thursday or so
                - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Annnddd... now I wanna jump off the Toyota ship and get a ZR2...

DSC00138 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                  Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Inspector on the last job I was on had a new zr2. Seemed very capable out of the box roaming up and down rutted up very muddy right of way in the hills around roanoke VA.

That said the kid with the BUILT taco schooled him throughly, when it came to the longer steeper hills, we also had a coating guy with a nearly stock high mile 200 LC out there that was showing almost everyone what a grocery getter is capable of

William Pitt-

Comment

Lambo, don't you dare!
                      My previous build (currently E30-less)
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
                        Lambo, don't you dare!
                        Lambo, do it... sell your futuras to fund it :devil:
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Thought about the ZR2 or the new Ranger. Both probably have more usable torque down low than my Tacoma.

Deal breaker for me was the availability of a manual transmission in the Tacoma. I would not consider a vehicle at this time that doesn't have a clutch. Also resale, perceived reliability, etc. Plus I love the options on the TRD off-road, cloth, manual seats on a near top-of-range model etc.

Comment

Bump for info on 2010 tacos

I might be picking up a double cab 4.0 4x4 auto to use as the family mobile (my wife does not like manuals)

I've tried to look on Google for issues and I've seen the frame rust problem, and the transmission ecu issues but do you guys have any more insight?

Here is the Vin 3TMLU4EN3AM046224

Comment

Originally posted by kickinindian View Post
                              Bump for info on 2010 tacos

I might be picking up a double cab 4.0 4x4 auto to use as the family mobile (my wife does not like manuals)

I've tried to look on Google for issues and I've seen the frame rust problem, and the transmission ecu issues but do you guys have any more insight?

Here is the Vin 3TMLU4EN3AM046224
                              I haven't heard of transmission ecu issues in 2nd gens. 3rd gen Tacoma's have notoriously had poorly tuned transmissions that people have complained about. I believe there was a "fix" put out by Toyota for that, though.

As for the frame rust... it is a pretty big issue for 1st and 2nd gen Tacomas (3rd gen hasn't been out long enough for the same issues to arise, so we'll see). Toyota issued a recall where they check the frame for signs of significant frame rust and if it's found they will replace the frame within a 15 year time period from date of original purchase iirc. Given that you're looking at a 2010 and you live in California, that shouldn't be much of a worry. It's the salt that the Northeast uses for snow that has fucked the frames up so badly.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                              Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

So I stopped by the lot when it was closed and they only places I see rust are on some lower bolt holding the exhaust in place so that is definitely looking OK. Someone must have dropped something on the tailgate and dented it pretty good and a spider crack on the left tail light.

The dealer said the ball joint had been replaced and she will knock 1k off if I don't have her get tires.

Her listing price is 19k - 1k for tires plus I'm gonna try to haggle the damages down another 1k so I'm trying to get out at 17k hopefully it works XD

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X