looks like a ton of rust under all that paint. for 3.5k you can't expect much tho
i'd budget about 20k to make it a nice driver and closer to 30-40k for a real nice driver
Looking at a 73 tii.
Collapse
X
-
Atlanta =/= SoCal but that's off topic man cuz op is in NY. Nice ad hominem tho.Leave a comment:
-
If you can't merge into 2015 traffic in a 2002 you should probably have your testosterone checked. :giggle:Leave a comment:
-
bring it back to stock config with a few tasteful suspension upgrades. These things are surprisingly zippy. They have pick up even on the freeway in 4th gear going 70mph. If you step on the gas, it will move. Not like a racecar, but I was pleasantly surprised when I drove the 72 Polaris tii to San Diego for a 5 day mini vacay with ex gf. If you restore her right, you will never have to pay for valet again. They will do it for free just to park your car front and center and show it off.Leave a comment:
-
At this point the s14 in the car would make it more driveable for DD duties haha. True times are changing and Tii's are getting rarer but, with the same spin once you have one, why would you want to sell it? I live in San Diego and there are some weak on ramps to the freeway where the flow of traffic is going to be 85 mph. What you going to do, call the ghost busters?
You're not going to get an 02 wet in the pants experience beyond putting in a turbo'd m42 or s14 (lets not mention sr20s ;) ). The weight of any other engine kills the 'original intention'/dynamics way too much.
I do love the discussion though!Leave a comment:
-
I worked at a 2002 shop. I've driven tii's, turbos, tourings as well as ones with s14's. Had a blast driving each and everyone of them. How about he keeps the m10, to put back in, when he want's to put the car away in the barn for a long time. ;D Opinions aren't going to change but seems like I can sniff out a couple of ppl here who haven't been in a s14 powered 02.
I hear you. I would not have suggested keeping any 2002 stock for most of the decades i have been driving them. But times change and it seems more and more the right thing to do for the unusual models like cabriolets, turbos, ti's and tii's.
That being said, don't have any problems with anyone doing whatever they want to their own car.
To be honest, on the street a S14 2002 does not impress me. It's such a low torque, peaky engine that it just doesn't moisten my panties. I have not driven one on the track but i am sure it would be more at home there.Leave a comment:
-
Thank you. Enjoy the car as it was intended from the designers at bmw. It's a blast to drive.Leave a comment:
-
The fuel tanks are notorious for rusting and flakes accumulating dead center under the fuel pickup, which clogs the screen. Happened to me in Colorado, bought a turkey baster to suck the flakes out of the tank and all was wellLeave a comment:
-
Roundies are the most desirable, with arguably the '72 being the most collectible with plastic intake runners and the rear bumper mounted closer to the body, but they're both more desirable than a square taillight, which are great cars also73 is probably the most desirable year of the Tii. 74 if you're into square tails. But for 3500$ it sounds like a decent deal. Get ready to be wearing some safety glasses while you're under the car. When I got my 02 I learned rust in the ole' eyeballs is no fun. They are extremely nice cars to drive when set up right. The KF injection system can be a bit of a pain I've heard. But the community around the 2002 is one of the best I've seen as far as BMW's. A lot of original owners on the 2002faq more than exited to share stories and a vast knowledge on their cars. Everyone I've ever seen on the forum is really down to earth and there to have a good time. Check it out for hours of 2002 content :D
Edit: Most of all. Enjoy it.Leave a comment:
-
I worked at a 2002 shop. I've driven tii's, turbos, tourings as well as ones with s14's. Had a blast driving each and everyone of them. How about he keeps the m10, to put back in, when he want's to put the car away in the barn for a long time. ;D Opinions aren't going to change but seems like I can sniff out a couple of ppl here who haven't been in a s14 powered 02.
I'm with you on that one. Or he can just bump the compression up on that tii motor pair it with some Webber 40's and a good cam and set of headers that car will scoot. For my race car my first motor will be at 10:5:1 with a 302 cam Webber 40's and some i.e headers was gonna use my stahls but ie has a better designLeave a comment:
-
I worked at a 2002 shop. I've driven tii's, turbos, tourings as well as ones with s14's. Had a blast driving each and everyone of them. How about he keeps the m10, to put back in, when he want's to put the car away in the barn for a long time. ;D Opinions aren't going to change but seems like I can sniff out a couple of ppl here who haven't been in a s14 powered 02.Leave a comment:
-
an m10 over s14? I fully understand where you're coming from but is it worth to save the 'originality' of the car if it's no fun to drive? After all, that's what he's buying the car for. (I hope!) Besides it's the perfect motor for the car and, one could argue, what it should of come with it if it wasn't for... time. We aren't talking about a m20 in an e30 m3.
You clearly haven't driven a Tii. The mechanical fuel injection provides a really sweet driving experience and the whole car together with the big brakes, etc. is a great package.
It is not a DTM refugee from the track, but definitely a "fun" car to drive as stock.Leave a comment:
-
Yeah there shouldn't be a question about whether to keep original or not, anyone who states otherwise doesnt know what they are talking about lol.Leave a comment:
-
tii's are relatively rare, and nice original tii cars are worth way more than any S14-fitted 2002 I've seen for sale.an m10 over s14? I fully understand where you're coming from but is it worth to save the 'originality' of the car if it's no fun to drive? After all, that's what he's buying the car for. (I hope!) Besides it's the perfect motor for the car and, one could argue, what it should of come with it if it wasn't for... time. We aren't talking about a m20 in an e30 m3.Leave a comment:

Leave a comment: