Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JasonC
    replied
    I was going to suggest H.A.M.B. but see it's been brought up. I think that there are some Corvair guys that put those engines in the back of their Corvair. So maybe a search on that swap in a Corvair could bring up some leads.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Muscle Car thread

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
    It's a sweet little engine. All aluminum. It would have been developed further but the era of cheap power and big blocks was starting and they didn't need it. GM sold the design to Rover and it got absorbed into the whole British Leyland era.

In Europe, it became their "small block," used for all kinds of things, Range Rovers, Defenders, drag cars, home-built hillclimb cars...

The MGB-V8 Sebring race cars, lots of things.

It's assumed it's the same one in the Triumph Stag, but that one is actually two 4 cyl. Leyland engines made into a V8. It had design issues and crankshaft oil passage issues and they burned up, adding to the British reliability image.

When I was a teenager, the father-son mechanics down the alley bought a blown Stag, swapped the Buick 215 version with a Rochester 4bbl, and that thing ran!

I don't know, but I'll bet there are US suppliers that still support it. I think there are some in the UK for the Rover version (different heads I think).

Oh, found this...

http://www.aluminumv8.com

haha I read the HAMB thread last night and uncovered that same aluminumv8.com site...

Add this to the reading about the motor:

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
    http://www.v8buick.com/index.php

wikiman say:

Buick produced 376,799 cars with this engine in just three years. A comparable number of Oldsmobile 215 engines were produced. In addition, some Pontiac models were fitted with the Buick 215, leading to the nickname "BOP 215" for the engine (BOP standing for Buick/Oldsmobile/Pontiac). The aluminium engine was relatively expensive to produce, however, and it suffered problems with oil and coolant sealing, as well as with radiator clogging from use of antifreeze incompatible with aluminium. As a result, GM ceased production of the all-aluminium engine after 1963, although Buick retained a similar 300 cu in (4.9 L) engine (iron block and alloy heads) (1964–1980), as well as a V6 derivative (1962–2008) which proved to have a very long and successful life.

I found a pretty cool modified one and Im SUPER tempted to pull the trigger... but it wont be for the E30 or the Datsun...

also this:

This... was a super cool racer to see .

Leave a comment:

• LateFan
    replied

wikiman say:

Buick produced 376,799 cars with this engine in just three years. A comparable number of Oldsmobile 215 engines were produced. In addition, some Pontiac models were fitted with the Buick 215, leading to the nickname "BOP 215" for the engine (BOP standing for Buick/Oldsmobile/Pontiac). The aluminium engine was relatively expensive to produce, however, and it suffered problems with oil and coolant sealing, as well as with radiator clogging from use of antifreeze incompatible with aluminium. As a result, GM ceased production of the all-aluminium engine after 1963, although Buick retained a similar 300 cu in (4.9 L) engine (iron block and alloy heads) (1964–1980), as well as a V6 derivative (1962–2008) which proved to have a very long and successful life.

Leave a comment:

• LateFan
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    Anyone have experience with the Buick Aluminum 215ci V8? Good resources to read up on or find parts, etc?
    It's a sweet little engine. All aluminum. It would have been developed further but the era of cheap power and big blocks was starting and they didn't need it. GM sold the design to Rover and it got absorbed into the whole British Leyland era.

In Europe, it became their "small block," used for all kinds of things, Range Rovers, Defenders, drag cars, home-built hillclimb cars...

The MGB-V8 Sebring race cars, lots of things.

It's assumed it's the same one in the Triumph Stag, but that one is actually two 4 cyl. Leyland engines made into a V8. It had design issues and crankshaft oil passage issues and they burned up, adding to the British reliability image.

When I was a teenager, the father-son mechanics down the alley bought a blown Stag, swapped the Buick 215 version with a Rochester 4bbl, and that thing ran!

I don't know, but I'll bet there are US suppliers that still support it. I think there are some in the UK for the Rover version (different heads I think).

Oh, found this...

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Ask him if he has a Buick 215ci laying around or parts for one!? lol

Leave a comment:

• MR E30 325is
    replied
    Interesting that this thread got bumped today.

Was picking up a concrete mixer from a buddy's buddy last night. This guy, who did masonry work his whole life, is retired and living most of our dreams.

Untitled by MR E30, on Flickr

This was one of his two garages. Holds 18 cars. Several Camaros, Chevelle SS, Bel Air's, 280zx, and lots more. Just wrenches on cars all day every day.

I have a new friend. Haha

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Anyone have experience with the Buick Aluminum 215ci V8? Good resources to read up on or find parts, etc?

Leave a comment:

• LateFan
    replied
    ^^^ sharp.
    Last edited by LateFan; 07-05-2016, 08:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• johnt325ix
    replied
    15 years ago I bought my '88 ix as a beater so I could afford my muscle car, '70 'Cuda 440 Six Barrel 4 speed. Within a few months I realized that an E30 is way more than a beater and now enjoy the both.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• QUKBMER
    replied
    Bumpo

Leave a comment:

• artoo93
    replied
    First car was a '81 Pontiac Trans Am, second was a '65 Chevy C30 and my 3rd was my '75 Camaro. The Camaro had a Chevy 350/TH350 with 3.70 LS rear putting down 425 hp at the rear wheels. I sure miss my old cars!!!

Leave a comment:

• QUKBMER
    replied
    In due time my friend ...... in due time.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    whens it all getting painted?

Leave a comment:

• QUKBMER
    replied
    Ha ha yes ,my new hood and SS logo ! :devil:

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied

Leave a comment: