Machining Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Machining Thread

Edit: Come on people, I can't be the only person that does this kind of thing! Lets see some cool metal stuff! Even if it's fabricated or welded I just wanna see some more cool shit!

I don't have a typical machinist job. Only 10-20% of the work is production, the rest are one off jobs, mostly deep draw dies, stretch form dies, and drop hammer dies. The company consists of 5 employees and the owner, so we're a pretty tight-knit shop. My favorite part of the job is building machines. The owner buys old machines for near scrap prices, then I go in and help replace all the broken stuff, upgrade, rewire/reroute, then put everything back together to make the machine run. The foreman has been doing it for 25+ years, so he directs the project and I get to help along with the entire process. Here's a cover I designed, programmed, setup, and ran for one of those machines:

Solidworks Model:

Toolpaths/Verify:

Cycle Start!

Listen to the chips hitting the enclosure. This was machined at 8000rpm and 36 inches per minute. Chipload was ~.045". Pretty freaking amazing. I was using an Ingersol 2 flute carbide insert cutter.

Finished Product:

Here's the machine it's going on:

We did our first test cut on Thursday, you can see my cover in action:

Last edited by 4x4_e30; 05-06-2016, 09:04 AM.

Sub'd because I love this stuff. I really need to find a way to get involved with it.
    My Garage
    2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
    1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
    1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
    Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Looking to go to machining school i wanna do engine building etc and be able to machine custom stuff. Just need to find a good school locally.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
      1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
      Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
      Mtech 2 turbo restoration
      Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Here I made my own setup/fixture, and programmed a little toolpath to cut out the pocket. The holes were all done in MDI because the machine I was using was based on Fanuc 6M, aka a cnc controller from 1982.

Spinning in the reference point. This tells the machine where "zero" is.

Poking the safety selector switch hole:

Checking to make sure the reamer isn't wobbly:

Finished:

Comment

Working...
        X