No announcement yet.

24 hrs of Le Mans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems like there Isn't many manufacturers racing this year. Especially in the prototype series

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
    1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
    Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
    Mtech 2 turbo restoration
    Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	wbcquoop07g0gpjlrohz.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	7192142

Too bad about Taylor's Corvette and the last lap flat, but what a battle. Also, too bad about all the P1s blowing up.

One driver said the P2s were like giving a drunk an AK-47. All over the track, slamming into people and fences.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
        Seems like there Isn't many manufacturers racing this year. Especially in the prototype series
        Just kind of the ebb and flow of racing. LMP1 costs have become astronomical and aren't attracting manufacturers. The ACO has interest from other manufacturers that want to come into LMP1 if there is a cost cap, but that probably means losing Toyota and Porsche who have already made the investment. Tricky situation. There is a lot of manufacturer involvement in GTE, more coming next year with BMW and I think that class is as healthy as it's been in a long time. P2 has gone with spec engines with 4 chassis options, so no room for manufacturer involvement under ACO rules (see IMSA WeatherTech series).

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
        [ATTACH]115086[/ATTACH]

Too bad about Taylor's Corvette and the last lap flat, but what a battle. Also, too bad about all the P1s blowing up.

One driver said the P2s were like giving a drunk an AK-47. All over the track, slamming into people and fences.
        Agreed. I am a fan of the Taylor family, and I hate that it happened to him but it was awesome to watch. Tough but fair racing in my opinion, considering what was at stake. I've seen Jonny Adam do some really dumb stuff in other series so I was expecting much worse, but he drove really well to keep the pressure on. It would have been interesting to see if the 911 would have had anything for them, I think they've been playing the game pretty well this year and that car is better than they're making it out to be... It always comes on curiously strong @ the end of the big races and it looked like it was doing it again if not for the puncture that threw them off cycle

Hate it for Toyota, I like what they're doing right now.
        - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Name:	Le Mans.jpg
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	7192614

WEC LMP1 is just too expensive...

Group C's demise before that...
          Group C was one of the greatest eras in racing history, producing the fastest cars to ever run the legendary 24 Hours of Le Mans. The story of how it died was, sadly, one that it should have seen coming.

Both of them completely manipulated by people like Bernie E for bald profit.

Comment

I knew it was gonna happen. Next year lmp2 and the gt classes will be all the races. And i mean really. I dont even pay attention to the lmp1 class cause there is zero competition. GT racing is where its at. I'm sure if they could bring the cost down to around the lmp2 cost more teams would come back.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

I vote 2.5 liter NA, any number of cylinders, limit rpm to something...12,000?, min weight limit, underbody aero allowed...what else....maybe energy recapture on braking for an acceleration boost..?

It's got to have some redeeming research component - that piece I linked talks about Le Mans' beginnings as a testbed for automotive research and safety. Modern headlight development came out of Le Mans.

< EDIT > ...wait a sec...is a 427 GT Corvette going to be faster than a NA 2.5 V8 / V10...? That wouldn't work.
              Last edited by LateFan; 08-02-2017, 01:48 PM.

Comment

&quot;New&quot; Cobra Daytona big blocks

Shelby American will produce a short run of long wheelbase, big block Daytona coupes. I never knew this - this car was supposed to run Le Mans, but the transport truck crashed in France and there was no time to repair it. It did run the next year, but with a small block.

Once up on a time, Carroll Shelby wanted to kick ass in the 24 Hours of Le Mans. To do it right, he decided to lengthen a Daytona to fit a big block inspired by NASCAR, but the car never made to the race. Now Shelby American is bringing it back for a limited run of heritage cars.

Name:	zzzzz.jpg
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	7192753

Comment

World Endurance Championship may be in trouble... reduced schedule announced....

Comment

World Endurance Championship may be in trouble... reduced schedule announced....

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/w...alendar-shift/

They gotta do something to bring in more lmp1 cars or the series will die. I can see it already. If they dont so something we will have only blancpain and imsa series. Which makes me wonder what would happen with the 24hr of le mans since WEC currently runs it.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

New WEC LMP1 rule revisions announced....

Comment

New WEC LMP1 rule revisions announced....

http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/ite...lmp1-revisions

That super season is interesting

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Shelby American will produce a short run of long wheelbase, big block Daytona coupes. I never knew this - this car was supposed to run Le Mans, but the transport truck crashed in France and there was no time to repair it. It did run the next year, but with a small block.

http://jalopnik.com/the-550-hp-big-b...ied-1798103148
                          Now that's friggin sweet. Shelby Daytona Coupes are the best Shelby designed cars. If I were to build a kit car it would be a ridiculously fast factory five type 65 coupe. All of that beautiful styling but with a stout aluminum smallblock instead of a cast iron big block.

IG @turbovarg
                          '91 318is, M20 turbo
                          [CoTM: 4-18]
                          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                          - updated 3-17

Comment

Now here's some vintage endurance video - 1957 Sebring. No guardrails, no building, no belts or roll bars, just old airport runways. Fangio wins in a Maserati.

Motorpsorts came back with a bang after World War II and the cars got faster and drivers quickly adapted to the increased speeds and improved handling. Two ...

Comment

1965. Teodoro Zeccoli. Alfa TZ2. Looks like the sand at Arnage to me.

Name:	Teodoro Zeccoli a Le Mans 1965.jpg
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	7196318

Comment

Interesting footage of the Matra team 1972, the beginning of the post-917 era. That screaming V12. The pit scenes are insane - crowds of photographers and hangers on, out in the road, blocking the cars. The old track with walls close in. Also interesting to see how tedious basic tasks like wheel changing were - carry a tire, hand-thread the nut, get the gun...

Cool to see things like pad changes, damage repair out in the rain...

Cool shots of Cevert and Graham Hill, and sideburns. Great shot of the two Matras coming across the line together.

LE MANS 1972 MATRA TEAM.Matra - Simca MS 670 FRANÇOIS CEVERT GRAHAN HILL TRIPLE CROWNH.PESCAROLOV Twelve's SymphonyThis film sequence was broadcast on tele...

Name:	Matra Cevert 1972.jpg
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	7196766

Comment

Working...
                                X