I got free airfare to Germany now what?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tim Flat4
    replied
    They didn't check me this past weekend either.

    Leave a comment:


  • ldsbeaker
    replied
    They didn't check me.... but I had an '87 325is Cabrio (e30, of course) as my rental...

    Leave a comment:


  • Tim Flat4
    replied
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news but these tracks don't let you bring rental cars on course. That's if they check...

    Leave a comment:


  • Erick
    replied
    Oh man.... arrive in Munich. Check out BMWs, drink your ass off and take 2-3 days to drive to Hockenheim (12 euro for 15 minutes) and then hit up the Nurburgring (15 euro for 1 lap..... which is probably around 15 minutes lol)

    - Erick

    Leave a comment:


  • Vedubin01
    replied
    Yes thats the town! The last name is Phillips. Her dad was American and was a diplomat of some sort.


    As far as the trip goes, I really need to start to plan it out. I will start when I get back from Alaska.

    Thank you all for the leads and heads up, keep them coming.

    My goal for going is to drive and drink. Just not at the same time!

    Leave a comment:


  • Tim Flat4
    replied
    There are a few of us that live here that should be able to help you out quite a bit.

    Your ex was living in Kaiserslautern? There are three of us (that I know of) on this forum that live in the area. I'm sure we could point you in the right direction.

    Like the others said, it all depends on what you want to do. If you're in to castles and museums just take your pick. You would need to stay for months to see them all. I've been here four months and I've been busy seeing things since I landed. I got here during the World Cup, and that speaks for itself. I've been to Hockenheimring for the Recaro Tuning Event and got a complimentary ride in a drift taxi, I've driven Nurburgring and I was in Trier for the World Rally Championship. Obviously automotive related stuff is my thing :)

    Give us some ideas and we can help you out. What you want to see will greatly narrow down where you will stay as well.

    If you have an iPod I suggest buying Talking Panda's iLingo, the Euro pack. It has everything you'll need to get by. Here is a link- http://talkingpanda.com/ilingo.php

    That's all that I've got for now.

    Leave a comment:


  • ldsbeaker
    replied
    One word:

    Nurburgring.

    That is all.

    Leave a comment:


  • ZinRot325i
    replied
    Here are some GENERAL tips for euro travel if you've never done it.

    1. Get a euro cell phone. You can buy or rent one, most US phones won't work on their networks. You can either pre-pay it or pay a flat rate.

    2. Get a prepaid VISA travel card, I believe AAA also offers one. If your stuff gets stolen, you're not liable for losses, plus they can only take so much.

    3. Don't look or act like a tourist. Buy some european clothes, learn some german, and experience the country. A week really isn't long enough, you might as well pick one city/region and do as much there as you can. If you hop from place to place you'll leave feeling unsatisfied.

    Leave a comment:


  • erik325i
    replied
    Originally posted by Vedubin01
    I can plan for about 7 to 10 days away and can go at any time. So that is the time frame that I think I can pull off.

    My question for you that have been is where did you stay? Any good hotels or good priced hotels? How was it for someone that does not speak the language to get around? Just how hard is it for an American to be able to get around and what about safety of a foreign?
    It's possible to go for a week. That's how long I stayed there, but you will have wished you planned for a longer trip. You will have so much fun, and there will be so much to do that after one week, you don't want to go back.

    Everywhere I went, people were nice. Most people at least spoke enough english to help us out. If someone didn't speak english, they would ask other customers in the store if they spoke english just to help us out. Everyone was very willing to help.

    Max was kind enough to lend out his spare room for my GF and I to stay in Schweinfurt.

    -Erik

    Leave a comment:


  • Vedubin01
    replied
    I run my own business so that depends on my customers. Its not like I could never afford it but when you get free tickets anywhere in the world and I choose Germany as my place. I have not really looked into it. I had a ex GF that lived there but she has since moved to the states. She lived in what they call K-town. Dont ask me how to spell the real name. I was just looking into where would be the spots to see and were not to go. I can plan for about 7 to 10 days away and can go at any time. So that is the time frame that I think I can pull off.

    My question for you that have been is where did you stay? Any good hotels or good priced hotels? How was it for someone that does not speak the language to get around? Just how hard is it for an American to be able to get around and what about safety of a foreign?

    Im headed to Alaska in the next 3 weeks to go visit my brother before he moves to HI. I cant wait to try to make it there! But that trip is already planned!

    Anyway good feed back on things to do and not do, places to stay and eat are a real +. I checked out the pics from some of yours trip to Germany this summer. It looked like a total blast. Im down to show a few Germans what I learned in School!

    TIA!

    Leave a comment:


  • Mot
    replied
    Beer Gardens in munich
    BMW Museum is pretty cool
    Frankfurt AM has some pretty cool sites in and around
    Obviously check berlin out


    I can't remember anything else, the two months I lived there I was sober probly 1 or 2 days lol.... Something about getting wasted with your german math teacher at lunch is just hard to avoid.

    Leave a comment:


  • europeanplates
    replied
    Hit up the car museums, Skip Porsche it sucked. The castles are good. Once there you can train everywhere and depending on how long even trin down to Italy. SO how long can you go??

    TYler

    Leave a comment:


  • Erick
    replied
    Originally posted by erik325i
    How long are you planning on being there? I was there at the end of July, and one week is not long enough. There were still plenty of things I wanted to do.

    -Erik
    I was there for a month and I felt like it was not enough. I think that southern Germany is a priority.

    What are your interests? Obviously BMW is a must... so you gotta check out Munich. I also highly recommend Stuttgart, where you can see the Porsche and Benz factory/museums.

    - Erick

    Leave a comment:


  • ZinRot325i
    replied
    Do the BMW Factory Museum in Munich, obviously...
    Other than that, it depends on what you're into,
    There's really too much to do to name any specific things without more info.
    Also if you're in Munich, go to the Staatliches Hofbrauhaus beer hall. Neat place. Bavaria really has it's own thing going on culturally, not like anywhere else in Germany.

    There are alot of old castles, craploads of museums.
    Rent a BMW or Porsche and take it up on the autobahn!

    Leave a comment:


  • erik325i
    replied
    How long are you planning on being there? I was there at the end of July, and one week is not long enough. There were still plenty of things I wanted to do.

    -Erik

    Leave a comment:

Working...