Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LateFan
    replied
    Speaking of Parks and rock and glaciers, there is some sad news from Glacier Park. Yesterday afternoon the historic and iconic Sperry Chalet burned down after high winds and flying embers overcame a Hotshot crew's efforts to save it. They had hose lines and pumps, three helicopters with a lake 7 miles away, but the wind won.

It's a damn shame.

Sperry Chalet was built along with a series of others through the Park by the Great Northern Railway in 1913 to promote tourism in the Park. Tourists from far away would ride GNR trains to East Glacier, then take pack trips into the stunning interior where these chalets would be one days ride apart. It was many people's first experience with raw wilderness and huge glaciers. Many of the lodges fell into disrepair after the Going-to-the-Sun pass was built in the 30s, were crushed by snow, or burned down over the years. Two are left, both built of heavy stone and timber, both way up almost at timberline on rock shelves - the Granite Park Chalet and the Sperry Chalet. Granite is a pack-your-own-food stay, where you use the commercial kitchen and bottled gas to make your meals and bring your own sleeping bag. Sperry is a full service lodge, where you are fed by the staff, with breakfast and trail lunches, linens cleaned - it's pretty posh for being almost on the top of a mountain. You sleep in a stone dorm building (the chalet) on comfy metal cots, creaky wood floors, no insulation. You walk down the clifftop a couple hundred yards to the dining hall for meals.

All supplies are brought in by pack mule trains up the hiking trail 6 miles.

It's 6+ miles on a map, but feels like 6 miles straight up as well - very steep, and pretty warm in the afternoon if you don't leave early enough.

My wife has been going up there since she was a little kid and it was $20/night for food and lodging. Dinner is in a big dining room on the cliff, with goats looking in the window, and the staff giving little talks or wildlife or geology lectures, or just ask everyone to say something about themselves. You meet people from all over the world and the next town over.

There may be a rule about 1 photo per post...? I forget. Forgive me if I give you a little taste of this place and what a loss it is.

None of these are my pics or family BTW

In April. These are the typical snow loads it handles.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Sperry Chalet April snow.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	7192886

They board it up for winter but sometimes winter comes in.

Name:	Sperry snow damage.jpg
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	7192887

Spring thaw, which may be May June....July... The season is 3 to 4 months.

Name:	Sperry Chalet snow spring.jpg
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	7192888

Here it is on the shelf, all buttoned up in the early fall. They take off the railings every fall as well.

Name:	Sperry Chalet distant snowJPG.jpg
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	7192889

We had reservations in mid-July one year and it looked like this, snow up to the eaves of the dining hall. The staff was there but snowed in, the pack trains couldn't make it through the drifts. We stayed anyway and had spaghetti on paper plates and played cards with the staff. In the morning, we hiked down and helped chop a path through drifts for the mules. It was a great trip

Name:	SperryCrew2011 snow.jpg
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	7192890

Leave a comment:

• Kershaw
    replied

I'd go swimming there. Here's me in the Upper Cathedral Lake in Yosemite. Water was brisk, haha.

Leave a comment:

• mrsleeve
    replied
    Also a fairly long walk to get to, its not called hidden lake for nothing. Getting there is not too bad but the walk back UP outta the basin is the bigger trick

Leave a comment:

• MrBurgundy
    replied
    Wow, that's absolutely beautiful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• LateFan
    replied
    He's got some pizza plate stuck to his wheel, should prolly pull over.

Glacier National Park (that water is NOT warm enough to swim in)

Name:	00748cbc960a3f4ef7c7d79632f09883.jpg
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	7192843

Leave a comment:

• MrBurgundy
    replied

Y tho

These "instagram e30s" are wild.

Leave a comment:

• MrBurgundy
    replied
    This Is Pictures.

More cat stuff and a cool tr6 I was servicing today

Leave a comment:

• ThatOneEuroE30
    replied
    My cats favorite pass time. Wrenching with Dad on the e30

Leave a comment:

• george graves
    replied
    Remember when you told me to tell you...

Leave a comment:

• MrBurgundy
    replied
    Originally posted by george graves View Post
    Blah - you and I both have a red e30 with a mt1 spoiler, and a grumpy looking black cat. Congrats on your good taste.

Leave a comment:

• george graves
    replied
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
    I bought him a cat bed, but the e30 is still preferred.
    Blah - you and I both have a red e30 with a mt1 spoiler, and a grumpy looking black cat. Congrats on your good taste.

Leave a comment:

• MrBurgundy
    replied

I bought him a cat bed, but the e30 is still preferred.

Leave a comment:

• ThatOneEuroE30
    replied
    I can school you in growing plants, it's so easy! My tanks supports itself now, I rarely add food or change the water. The only hard thing is controlling algae at first

I might have to hit you up on that. Only thing i didn't like about live plants is they did make the tank dirty really fast and id have to keep the ammonia levels down for my eel to survive also is in brackish water for him. I def wouldnt be able to go with out feeding cause of him either he has to have the shrimp

Leave a comment:

• MrBurgundy
    replied
    Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
    Only one of them is real. I cant seem to get plants to stay alive in my tank except for the one, but also haven't tried any since i got rid of the pain in the ass snails for ones that cant reproduce. The eel is my favorite i Just gotta feed him frozen brine shrimp every night and he goes and digs tunnels under his little house in the sand. I honestly rarely clean this tank probably once every 2-3 months if that, then just do water water change here and there and make sure my chemical levels are good. Usually had some ammonia treatment once a week along with some plant food for the one live plant I have.

I can school you in growing plants, it's so easy! My tanks supports itself now, I rarely add food or change the water. The only hard thing is controlling algae at first

Leave a comment:

• ThatOneEuroE30
    replied
    Sick! I've wanted to add an eel to my tank but my water flow is too high... Are those real plants!?

Shit, my tank is so dirty compared to yours lol. I went out of town and had a crazy algae bloom

Only one of them is real. I cant seem to get plants to stay alive in my tank except for the one, but also haven't tried any since i got rid of the pain in the ass snails for ones that cant reproduce. The eel is my favorite i Just gotta feed him frozen brine shrimp every night and he goes and digs tunnels under his little house in the sand. I honestly rarely clean this tank probably once every 2-3 months if that, then just do water water change here and there and make sure my chemical levels are good. Usually had some ammonia treatment once a week along with some plant food for the one live plant I have.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X