Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dealer holding plates haaaalp? (California)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schnitzer318is
    replied
    Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
    ^

If you Pick up items in state you have to pay the tax on it, if you had a shipper pick it up you would have been fine. Though I am not sure how the sales tax on cars works in CA like that since the sales tax is normally charged by the state of registration ......
    Yep, they told me I could have had a shipper literally take it across state lines and then I could drive it home to TX. Dumbest thing I've ever heard. Just bought a vehicle in Kansas and another in Alabama over the last couple months. No such stipulation in either state.

I didn't have to repay taxes when I got to TX, but CA's taxes were higher so I was out that money. The tax office here told me I should not have been required to pay taxes there.

Leave a comment:

• mrsleeve
    replied
    ^

If you Pick up items in state you have to pay the tax on it, if you had a shipper pick it up you would have been fine. Though I am not sure how the sales tax on cars works in CA like that since the sales tax is normally charged by the state of registration ......

Leave a comment:

• Schnitzer318is
    replied
    Afaik there is no "estimate" for registration. Never seen that. Though California dealers do seem to be some of the worst. When I bought my e53 4.8is there they made me pay CA taxes to be able to drive it off the lot even though the vehicle would never be registered in CA.

Leave a comment:

• Julien
    replied
    Weird, as far as I know there is no estimate of titling a vehicle in CA. It's a set formula, available on the CA DMV website. Heck it'll even include back fees if you type in the tag and VIN. The car should have come with plates if it was used, unless they were passed due. Did it come from out of state? I'd ask them to send you the revised paperwork and compare it to what you originally signed.

Leave a comment:

• skateimitation
    replied
    What does your paperwork show? Check to see if it says anything about owing the difference. If it doesn't, tell them to shove it.

Leave a comment:

• kickinindian
    replied
    Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
    To my knowledge, CA used car dealers must include plates/titling fees (unless otherwise noted, I would think).
    see that is what ive always thought if its roped into my financing and they did an estimate that is their fault for giving an incorrect estimate.

Leave a comment:

• freeride53
    replied
    To my knowledge, CA used car dealers must include plates/titling fees (unless otherwise noted, I would think). I bought my preowned 4Runner from a Toyota dealer in Arizona last year, so it was on me to get it titled/inspected/plated.

Leave a comment:

• Joegreen02
    replied
    In texas that is illegal not sure about California

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• kickinindian
    replied
    yea guess ill have to i just hate dealerships i almost always buy private party but tacos around here are hard to find

Leave a comment:

• Sonny
    replied
    Tell them your broke and to take the truck back and give you all your money back.

Works 70% of the time 100% of the time.

Leave a comment:

• mrsleeve
    replied
    Originally posted by kickinindian View Post
    Cars can be assault weapons too!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    10 day cooling off period before you can take your plates home and drive your truck lol

Leave a comment:

• venerated
    replied
    Originally posted by kickinindian View Post
    I know, they do that if you have not payed all of the agreed payments but I paid everything at the time I took control of the vehicle so that's where I see it as a, grey area it's not my fault their registration estimate was wrong

The point is if the registration was more than you paid, you owe it. I’m sure there’s no guarantee from them that they know the exact amount of registration. I don’t know why you’re taking it as them trying to scam you. If you look at the registration paperwork it will say the fees, which you can compare against what you paid and then be able to know if it’s more than you paid or not.

Leave a comment:

• kickinindian
    replied
    Originally posted by venerated View Post
    I don't think they're trying to scam you. You can easily ask to see the registration paperwork and see what the actual fee was. I would not try to 'steal' them.
    I know, they do that if you have not payed all of the agreed payments but I paid everything at the time I took control of the vehicle so that's where I see it as a, grey area it's not my fault their registration estimate was wrong

Leave a comment:

• kickinindian
    replied
    Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
    why were the plates shipped to the dealer, and not to you in the 1st place ????? Never had such a thing happen, even when I have bought from a dealer the plates were always mailed to my home address........ Or is this a "CALIFORNIA" thing......
    Cars can be assault weapons too!

Leave a comment:

• mrsleeve
    replied
    why were the plates shipped to the dealer, and not to you in the 1st place ????? Never had such a thing happen, even when I have bought from a dealer the plates were always mailed to my home address........ Or is this a "CALIFORNIA" thing......

Leave a comment:

Working...
X