X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• varg
    replied
    Originally posted by phillipj View Post
    How are the heck are these "Small Businesses" ???
    I heard a rumor that it was due to the limit being 500 people per location not total size. Without going too far into what belongs on the politics board, that's about the kind of stupidity and corruption I'd expect from politicians.

Leave a comment:

• Staszek
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    My mom has a small business and all of her banking is Wells Fargo and I dont think she was able to even get any assistance.
    Interesting to see some larger companies getting called out for taking the funds. Shake Shack returned the $10m they received.

Leave a comment:

• phillipj
    replied
    I guess we can all have a chance again if they open up more funding. And I guess companies like Potbelly's, Ruth Chris' Steakhouse and Shake Shack got the maximum amount. How are the heck are these "Small Businesses" ???

The tiny construction company I was working for tried and didn't get it. My gf's auto shop did not get it. I listen to "Planet Money" (Which is a great economics podcast show), they are saying less than 4% of people they've talked to got assistance.

Leave a comment:

• MrBurgundy
    replied
    I applied for an SBA loan and have received nothing and heard nothing

It's been about two weeks now

Leave a comment:

• roguetoaster
    replied
    Of the six or so small businesses I know of that have applied no one has had any results so far. Would be great to see how much was/will actually be given to each entity in the recent/near future programs.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    My mom has a small business and all of her banking is Wells Fargo and I dont think she was able to even get any assistance.

Leave a comment:

• phillipj
    replied
    Originally posted by bradmer View Post
    The electrical contracting business I work for applied for the stimulus money in a quicker than timely fashion, but it was gone in hours. Only certain banks had direct access (read; not the company I work for), I think Wells Fargo was one of them, they had it set to where their clients submitted paperwork for the fed coin first and were able to claim all of the monies. I have heard (I have no proof) that many of the companies had pared their work force down to 500 employees to claim the credit. I believe this is where the dem's wanted oversight and why. Total sham where big business lawyers figure it out once legislation is drafted, then proceed to poach said funding from the small business community.

I have been working full time since I work alone out of a truck, but we have been paying the electricians to stay home as directed by health department officials. It would be interesting to hear from any small business who has had success getting funds from the feds and the bank that you applied through.

Worst president to have in office for an event like this to happen. His name on stimulus checks, what a fkn SAE tool.
    Ugh. I'm with you on this PPP stuff! I helped my gf apply for the PPP program through the SBA. She has an auto restoration shop and only a handful of employees, like 5. She is in great need and it would really help us out. We got it in right away, everything was spot on. Heard back yesterday that they did not even process the paperwork.

It is very discouraging that this government considers "Small Businesses" 500 people (in some cases you can even be more!). And that they are giving out these loans, which can be completely forgivable, to Hedge Funds and Private Equity firms. It's crazy. It's really depressing. I would also very much like to hear if anyone had success with this.

Leave a comment:

• Northern
    replied
    ^ You're Mech, I don't think you're going to have a problem once this shit blows over. Mech is such a flexible discipline...

This whole thing has been kind of fucked up.
    Right as it hit, my wife was axed due to "financial pressures" after 7 years. She was the managing director of her company, but they were recently bought out.

Luckily there were a few positives. We had both recently crushed our credit card debt, I had been working since Jan on a student Eng co-op job, and she got a decent severance package.
    Pretty much a week later, that company laid off 75% of their employees, and the remaining management is work-sharing, so I'm thinking we made off lucky.
    A stressful few weeks and she's found a job that pays less, but doesn't require her attention 24/7. Hopefully that lasts.

I've been working from home since early march got a call last week saying I wouldn't be rehired for May-Aug, but I don't mind having the summer off as long as my wife is still working and it doesn't screw up my last year of school.
    Plenty of shit to do around the house/cars/bikes, and plenty of parts to sell

Leave a comment:

• varg
    replied
    We have a whole board for political hot takes, at least try to keep this thread on topic.

Originally posted by majdomo View Post
    this is where it gets tough. finish sooner than later, there's no jobs; wait and finish later, then you're competing with everyone who still doesn't have a job... i graduated b-school in 2002, and watched most of my classmates who had job offers have them rescinded. fall recruiting in 2001 was completely shut - companies came on campus but not to hire, just to keep their spots for the following years, and they openly told us that when we came to their events. my wife graduated b-school in may 2008, and took a job just before the world went to hell in a handbasket. the year after she graduated, everyone's jobs were pulled, internships went away, etc.

i say this for just 2 reasons. 1 - go on offense and be proactive about getting the skills - not necessarily the resume-building internships - that you'll need once the economy turns around. and 2 - it will be fine, in the end. you will get a job, you'll get through the challenges you're being faced with today and come out the other side stronger than your peers who had everything come to them when labor was tight and things were easy. you'll do the shit work no one wants to do and advance because of it. you'll get promoted because you're resilient, resourceful, and know what it's like to scrap for everything. and ultimately, this will make you stronger.

doesn't help now, i know. didn't help me when i was going through it, either. but it'll happen.
    I hear you, and thanks.

I definitely am not going to stay in school if there's not a job waiting for me around graduation. I earned my grades, did my time. As for building skills, yeah, extremely important. I think practical skills and industry knowledge are the primary reasons why I got the long term internship of my choice, in the industry I desired. Doing my own thing, building skills that are useful to engineers, seemed to have paid off at the beginning of the year. Now there's not much I can do but wait.

Leave a comment:

• bradmer
    replied
    The electrical contracting business I work for applied for the stimulus money in a quicker than timely fashion, but it was gone in hours. Only certain banks had direct access (read; not the company I work for), I think Wells Fargo was one of them, they had it set to where their clients submitted paperwork for the fed coin first and were able to claim all of the monies. I have heard (I have no proof) that many of the companies had pared their work force down to 500 employees to claim the credit. I believe this is where the dem's wanted oversight and why. Total sham where big business lawyers figure it out once legislation is drafted, then proceed to poach said funding from the small business community.

I have been working full time since I work alone out of a truck, but we have been paying the electricians to stay home as directed by health department officials. It would be interesting to hear from any small business who has had success getting funds from the feds and the bank that you applied through.

Worst president to have in office for an event like this to happen. His name on stimulus checks, what a fkn SAE tool.

Leave a comment:

• majdomo
    replied
    Originally posted by Slybeanx View Post

I feel you here. Current 1L in law school and 90% of my class mates had internships go up in smoke, Im still unable to source any form of relevant legal work and my finals are in two weeks. Im happy my friends/family are all safe its just the uncertainty of how to move forward thats bothering me atm.

Feeling the pain and uncertainty like so many of you are. Just glad my wife's job is one of extreme stability.

The absolutely choice engineering internship I got hired for is in limbo now and I'm just hoping every day that it doesn't end up evaporating on me. I've never been able to say this before, but I'm glad I'm graduating next semester instead of now. At least there's a better chance of there being a job offer for me in December or January than there is in May.
    this is where it gets tough. finish sooner than later, there's no jobs; wait and finish later, then you're competing with everyone who still doesn't have a job... i graduated b-school in 2002, and watched most of my classmates who had job offers have them rescinded. fall recruiting in 2001 was completely shut - companies came on campus but not to hire, just to keep their spots for the following years, and they openly told us that when we came to their events. my wife graduated b-school in may 2008, and took a job just before the world went to hell in a handbasket. the year after she graduated, everyone's jobs were pulled, internships went away, etc.

i say this for just 2 reasons. 1 - go on offense and be proactive about getting the skills - not necessarily the resume-building internships - that you'll need once the economy turns around. and 2 - it will be fine, in the end. you will get a job, you'll get through the challenges you're being faced with today and come out the other side stronger than your peers who had everything come to them when labor was tight and things were easy. you'll do the shit work no one wants to do and advance because of it. you'll get promoted because you're resilient, resourceful, and know what it's like to scrap for everything. and ultimately, this will make you stronger.

doesn't help now, i know. didn't help me when i was going through it, either. but it'll happen.

Leave a comment:

• Slybeanx
    replied
    Originally posted by varg View Post

Feeling the pain and uncertainty like so many of you are. Just glad my wife's job is one of extreme stability.

The absolutely choice engineering internship I got hired for is in limbo now and I'm just hoping every day that it doesn't end up evaporating on me. I've never been able to say this before, but I'm glad I'm graduating next semester instead of now. At least there's a better chance of there being a job offer for me in December or January than there is in May.
    I feel you here. Current 1L in law school and 90% of my class mates had internships go up in smoke, Im still unable to source any form of relevant legal work and my finals are in two weeks. Im happy my friends/family are all safe its just the uncertainty of how to move forward thats bothering me atm.

Leave a comment:

• varg
    replied
    Originally posted by cheffy30 View Post
    what's happening to your careers amidst this covid nightmare? I am a chef. My place is shut down. Not planning to work again for 6 months... Who else is affected out there? My e30 is pimped though. sent from hell using tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• z31maniac
    replied
    Originally posted by cheffy30 View Post
    what's happening to your careers amidst this covid nightmare? I am a chef. My place is shut down. Not planning to work again for 6 months... Who else is affected out there? My e30 is pimped though. sent from hell using tapatalk
    My group at work already worked from home 2-3 days per week, but now I've been working from home full-time since this all started.............aka the Jazz v Thunder game when Gobert tested positive. My girlfriend has an autoimmune disease, so she's been working from home since the same week. Although her insane boss is just itching to force her back into the office.......he continues to tell her that "Just go vegan and use essential oils and it will cure your RA." He also thinks drinking out of plastic cups and being near microwaves will give you cancer. She graduates in a few weeks with her BA so she is on the job hunt.

Working from home full-time doesn't bother me, I do miss the interaction at the office. Working split between office/home is a good mix. Flip side, my home office setup is much nicer than what I have at the office. We have been doing Happy Hours through Zoom and stuff like that.

I'm not really worried about my job, one of the benefits of working for one of the largest tech companies in the world. Even through Dec-Feb we increased our ARR in Asia.

We are missing being able to go to our favorite restaurants or a Thunder game. And I bought a new toy to do AutoX and HPDE with, just delivered last weekend, but of course everything is shut down. The lady and I are going a bit stir crazy. And the weather in Oklahoma has been shit most of the time we've been home. The occasional nice day where we've been able to sit in the backyard with the dogs and grill.

All in all, could be much worse. We just have to be extra careful since she is in the very high risk category.

Leave a comment:

• majdomo
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    Im thinking of becoming a stand-up comic
    so you’re saying you aren’t one already? ;)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X