Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• majdomo
    replied
    Noticing a lot of problem solving type gigs...the best days at work are when I figure out how to solve something that’s stumped everyone else :)

Ezekiel 25:17

Leave a comment:

• MrBurgundy
    replied
    Sheeet...

Started off working at the port of Long Beach unloading freights

Worked as a weed delivery guy for a bit, then a restaurant as a bus boy before I got into automotive.

Been at the shop for 8 years now

Leave a comment:

• mrsleeve
    replied
    grew up on a farm,

a couple years in h/s as a line cook/dishwasher

spent about a decade building roads, and municipal water/sewer systems with some odd ball demolition, environmental reclamation and building trades jobs as Laborer. I learned a lot about how big projects are built, and life in general.

Last 10 years or so I jumped over to the QA/QC side of construction and currently a Muliti method Level 2 NDE tech working mostly in the Energy business, as a small part of some of most high profile miltibillion dollar projects in recent years. Travel sucks but it pays the bills and I might get to retire before I am dead.
    Last edited by mrsleeve; 07-21-2019, 02:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kickinindian
    replied
    I currently work as a hotel maintenance guy I'm usually on call and am a jack of all trades (electrical, hvac, carpenter, etc.) makes decent money but it's California so w/e

Previously out of highschool waited banquets, guided tours, and my personal fav. Was marking timber, but it's only seasonal and if you want full time jobs in the forest service then a bachelor is pretty much the only way but then you don't do any field work because your stuck in the office all the time so had to let that go.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Exodus_2pt0
    replied
    10 years Automotive repair.

6 years Railroad.

Auto industry was great for honing my troubleshooting and repair skills. Those skills have allowed me to climb the ranks on the railroad very quickly.

I'll never go back to automotive.

Leave a comment:

• cheffy30
    replied
    executive chef. 34 years in the kitchen. 45+ operations never had a job outside of those walls.
    currently a task force chef for a hospitality company with 37 properties. i love my job. my e30 has been hauling shit for 18 of those years. oh the stories there...

Leave a comment:

• Reichart12
    replied
    It's cool to see the diversity we have here. I'm currently starting year 4 of 5 in a biochemistry PhD program. I work with microbes from hot springs looking for novel thermostable enzymes for lignocellulose degradation. Hoping to end up in Seattle at a biotech company, anything research related would be great.

Leave a comment:

• Ryan...
    replied
    Current:
    Police Officer

Past:
    Property Manager (did this for 3 years while also being a polis)
    Armed Security
    General Maint. worker for yachts/boats (canvas work, small mechanical jobs)

^^ Those were jobs I could afford to survive on.

Then you have some BS high school factory jobs, Taco Bell, paper routes, all going back to the age of 7 when I got my first paycheck.

Leave a comment:

• Melon
    replied
    Overall Industry: Oil & Gas

Job: Civil/Structural Designer.

I do 3D modeling of earthwork, concrete and steel structures for refineries and chemical plants for the Gulf South. It's an interesting job, lots of problem solving and developing creative solutions for clients.

Leave a comment:

• z31maniac
    replied
    Senior Technical Writer is my current title. Been doing this for ~12 years, first job out of college was a claim rep for State Farm.

Leave a comment:

• agent
    replied
    Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
    congratulations man! i am really happy to hear this.
    Originally posted by majdomo View Post
    Congrats!! Liking it so far?
    Thanks fellas! I really am. I'm with a great company on a great team, and truly enjoying my work for the first time in years.

Leave a comment:

• decay
    replied
    oh lord.

- retail/foodservice clerk
    - IT consultant
    - auto sales
    - soldier
    - software engineer (both QA and DevOps)
    - currently bouncer, stage crew, and maintenance at one of the last good nightclubs left in SF

Leave a comment:

• e30davie
    replied
    Mechanical engineer, graduated uni 9yrs ago. First 5 years working at an oil refinery, then a few years working in water and waste industry. Now back in fuel retail as a compliance engineer on client side. I drink a lot of coffee, and send heaps of emails.

Leave a comment:

• majdomo
    replied
    Originally posted by agent View Post
    G I was hired as a Senior Data Quality Analyst; I am the team's Senior Project Manager as of a couple of months ago.

Congrats!! Liking it so far?

Leave a comment:

• majdomo
    replied
    Alrighty...

I started as an intern at a web development shop back in the late '90s. Was an English major, but always had a business bent. Worked in online marketing, development, sales, and business strategy. Was working at a startup when the dot-com crash hit. I'd started b-school by that point, needing more of a hard skill than my undergrad degree, so I studied corporate finance.

After b-school, I worked at the studios here in LA as a financial analyst, and passed the CPA exam. Fed up with big corporate life, I moved over to higher ed and haven't looked back.

The more I learn, the more I learn I have a lot to learn. :)

However, I'm interested in helping out where I can. Fire away!
    Last edited by majdomo; 07-16-2019, 10:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X