No announcement yet.

Gun Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All sound advice fellas. I have been researching just about everything that i have contemplated building. I lurk the AR15 forums just to get new ideas and try to absorb as much useful information as i can. In my mind i have about a half dozen AR designs with as many different purposes.

Right now i'm pretty much sitting evenly between a Glock 21 or the Sig 220. I have heard mixed feelings on the .357 sig round but i will admit that i have absolutely no first hand knowledge about it. I think the biggest concern i have is the cost of the rounds. I like to punch a lot of holes when i go to the range and it really adds up. Which then goes back to which handgun do i want. The Glock is cheaper, higher capacity, and i know it will always go bang. The Sig is much more accurate in my hands however and you can't really put a price on that.

Decisions decisions, I may just have to run to the range tomorrow and do more "research." I have a bunch of 7.62x39 rounds that i was given, so i may also try out my first AK while I'm at it...

Comment

I would *not* recommend a .357Sig of any sort for a first handgun, and honestly not a .45 either.

A person's first gun should be inexpensive, easy to shoot, cheap to shoot, and have very little recoil, so you can develop good shooting skills, without learning bad habits like flinching, etc. In other words, start with a .22, shoot it for a month or 1000rds or so, then look at the centerfire. In the long run, you'll have lots of guns, so you might as well start with a solid skill set.

I can't tell you how many guys I've seen in classes show up with a .40, 357sig, .45, 10mm, whatever, can't shoot for shit because their eyes are closed (or worse) due to flinching from recoil. Recoil won't hurt you necessarily, but the noise and flash make your instincts kick in...
      BEERTECH

Comment

Good call Rob -

I'd even venture you don't need to buy that 1st .22 you shoot - just spend a lot of time at a local range renting everything they have after you burn at least 1000 rds in that .22 - also, even though you could burn 1K in a day with a .22 - spread it out over a few days. If you rent, get the same gun(write down the SN#) - if you were shooting low one day, see if you shoot low the next time. Learn & understand what your body does with your eyes telling you you're on target.

Even after you burn up that 1K in the .22, you can try the other handguns the range has to get an overall idea of what fits you - that's how I learned I just don't jive with older Glocks, as much as I'd like to. I'd love to have a Glock in .357s for my carry gun, but I just shoot high with them - but without renting I'd have had to learn that by buying & making that a much more expensive discovery.

Also, talk to other people at the range. Ask people about their guns-I've never had a person get snotty with me, as everyone there is of the same mindset & really all people are willing to tell you a little about their gun. You pick up a lot of good info there.

So yeah, I really think it was a good call by Rob to tell people to start with a .22 to learn good habits - besides, you shouldn't use any gun as your home defense if you haven't spent a LOT of time shooting it & shooting in general.

I have a buddy who has less than 1500 rds through a gun (& it's his first gun) & it's his "home defense" - I don't like that at all personally.

It's not how you handle the good times, but the faith you keep in the bad that defines you.

Comment

I took this out of the safe after work today...

Linus, Previous pik is my Sig P229. 9mm, small, beautifully made, typical Sig. Makes me look like a good shot. I think my camera is messed up though, everything looks "odd".

Comment

Franchi Spas...needs a finish.

'90 325i

Comment

Originally posted by ///M0F01SD View Post
              As far as ARs go, do alot of homework. There are many options out there but they not equal. You don't need to buy the most expensive but don't buy too cheap either.

Rey

What are some good AR-15 forums?

Also, if/when the ban goes into effect, will it just be on AR lowers or the whole thing?

As time went on, the factory developed the car each year, making it faster, more comfortable, and capable of handling at higher speeds.
              You don’t want this. You want the trickiest, most dangerous, oldest model you can find. Only then can you prove to the world that you’re a man.

Comment

Originally posted by madjurgen View Post
                What are some good AR-15 forums?

Also, if/when the ban goes into effect, will it just be on AR lowers or the whole thing?

If/when the ban goes into effect again it will be for a ar15 lower. That is the only part on the gun that has a serial number. All the other parts for it can even be purchased via the internet without a FFL. The lowers(stripped or complete) is the only part that has to be purchased in person at your local FFL dealer.

There is alot of talk that when the dems "CAN" but the ban back on these guns that they are looking at banning collapsable stocks and any barrel under 20" in length. And completely banning the .223 pistols. But they are also planning to ban just about everything big caliber as well especially with handguns. I will try to relocate the website that laid out the different bans they want to impose on guns.

Comment

Here is the website listing the different lists that are on the ban wagon !!

Doesnt mean the DEMs can get them all passed in the house and senate (of course they have to have a President, democratic, that will back them on this first ) but it does show how much they want to go after our gun rights.

Comment

What I wonder about the most reading that site was how realistic the idea of regulating ammo purchases could become - that's got me thinking I almost would use a credit card for some .308w & some .357s if that looks like a possibility. Especially that .357s round - it's feast or famine when it comes to availability it seems.

I'm glad I got a case of the Winchester Ranger Bonded in .357s when I did. Still haven't used any, but it's in my carry clips.

It's not how you handle the good times, but the faith you keep in the bad that defines you.

Comment

Originally posted by kroberts View Post

Linus, Previous pik is my Sig P229. 9mm, small, beautifully made, typical Sig. Makes me look like a good shot. I think my camera is messed up though, everything looks "odd".
                      THat was good - I would have swore that frame wasn't metal. It looks like it's carved wood.

Buddy has a 229 in .357s - in fact it was shooting his that got me into Sigs. He was a little green with envy after doing the 5 day waiting thing that I could just cash & carry from our local shop on the way home from the range. Gotta love the CC permit.

Comment

Hows a RRA Entry Tactical for a first AR? I know I could probably build a better gun for the same money but I lack the knowledge/skills/tools for the timebeing. I mainly just want to buy one before we cant.

As time went on, the factory developed the car each year, making it faster, more comfortable, and capable of handling at higher speeds.
                        You don’t want this. You want the trickiest, most dangerous, oldest model you can find. Only then can you prove to the world that you’re a man.

Comment

Hows a RRA Entry Tactical for a first AR? I know I could probably build a better gun for the same money but I lack the knowledge/skills/tools for the timebeing. I mainly just want to buy one before we cant.

perfect first gun!
                          Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs!

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by Vedubin01 View Post
                            perfect first gun!

Completely agree with Vedubin01 !!!

I love my RRA which is basiclly the entry tactical as a base but I used a YHM quad rail handguard with ladder covers, a yhm flip up front sight, caa collapsable stock with cheek rest adjuster, match trigger, ergo grip and winter trigger gaurd. And lots more to add to it !!!

Comment

More preaching, with your first AR please PLEASE use to learn the iron sights before spending cash on optics. You'll be pleasantly surprised how well AR15s shoot with irons...
                              BEERTECH

Comment

spend more time and ammo learning about what you have before adding aids to help shoot. Anyhing I shoot under 100 yards I will not use optics at all. Not even a red dot.

I just picked this up yesterday after a good discussion over on ar15.com. I was looking for a reliable boot gun that has enough power to stop in one shot. I opted for this snub nosed 357mag. I like the fit and feel of the weapon and though it will hardly ever get shot its a great gun for the glove box or camping trip or just that a boot gun. And for the price, I had to. Next on my list of toys to buy is a Dillon 550b reloader. Never done it before but with the price of ammo and the future of ammo I think its as good as an investment as other guns or mags.

anyone else here reload? If so pointers please.... Im a bit green when it comes to this and dont know if I would want to shoot my own reloads....:o)

Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs!

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Working...
                                X