No announcement yet.

Gun Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone on here clued in on antique revolvers or know some solid resources?

I acquired this little number which used to belong to my grandfather on my dad's side

Its a Forehand Arms break action .32. The cylinder and associated parts are long gone by now, so I'd like to find a new one (or make a new one if I could model the original).

The top of the Barrel reads:
    "FOREHAND ARMS CO. WORCESTER MASS. U.S.A.
    PAT'D DEC 7. '86, JANY 11. '87; & PAT. APPLIED FOR"

The fact that it is stamped "Forehand Arms" rather than "Forehand & Wadsworth" it is built some time between 1890 and 1902. Other than that I'm not really sure about it. In the research I've done every one of their revolvers looks different.. not sure if that's just how they did things back then or if they had a bunch of slight variances in models.

I know these weren't as popular or durable as a Colt or S&W but I would definitely like to clean this thing up and shoot it once or twice
    -Alex

Comment

I saw a beautiful 1911 customized this way at the range and did my best to replicate it with sandpaper. How did I do?

Comment

I think you would have been better off stripping it down and working with the individual pieces. Then work your way up to 2,000 or 2500 grit and hit them with a polishing compound.
        No E30 Club
        Originally posted by MrBurgundy
        Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
          I think you would have been better off stripping it down and working with the individual pieces. Then work your way up to 2,000 or 2500 grit and hit them with a polishing compound.
          This. You hit a few spots on the frame while sanding. Simply removing those parts would have prevented that entirely. I probably would have left the plunger tube alone, but it's your gun and it's not like you were bubba-ing up a collector piece. Make it yours.

My AR9 went through a few changes over the last week. I decided to go with a QC10 colt lower and got it out to the range. These can apparently be finicky little bastards to get running reliably, but I put 450 rds though it at the range and it ran perfectly with a mix of UMC, WWB, and Federal HST ammo. It got pretty filthy but it still ran like a top. I might try to get a better RDS and keep this next to the bed.

Comment

gonna paint my 870 OD grean, using spray paint... Man the finish on these guns suck. Constantly trying to rust on me.
            1990 325is
            m52b28
            3.73lsd
            g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
              gonna paint my 870 OD grean, using spray paint... Man the finish on these guns suck. Constantly trying to rust on me.
              Yea I found that with mine. I keep it in my vehicle in case i come home to some critters.

They need to be oiled well, that's for sure. But I have found a good soaking seems to keep it in line. Just need to get the oil absorbed well into the parkerized finish. On the bright side, what little rust I found was easily removed.

Speaking of which, I'm sitting in my driveway now listening to a pack of Coyotes screaming their assss off.
              No E30 Club
              Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Gun Thread

Originally posted by Sonny View Post

I saw a beautiful 1911 customized this way at the range and did my best to replicate it with sandpaper. How did I do?

Unless those are stainless, I would recoat or parkerize ASAP before rust starts

Also, I see you did not remove the safety, either due to intimidation of lack of knowledge, I highly recommend picking up Jerry Kuhnhausen’s book to gain an appreciation on the platform and knowledge on how simple it really is to completely strip
                Last edited by eternal24k; 05-25-2019, 09:41 AM.

Comment

2 questions.

#1 (CA Specific) I heard that there was a week where you could purchase the "regular" mags, and that theres no way to track it. IE its not a problem to have a regular mag now, as long as you know that you bought it that week, that true?

#2 How often are you guys cleaning your toys? does it depend on how often they are used? clean them before VS after practice? Always wondered that stuff.
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                    2 questions.

#1 (CA Specific) I heard that there was a week where you could purchase the "regular" mags, and that theres no way to track it. IE its not a problem to have a regular mag now, as long as you know that you bought it that week, that true?

#2 How often are you guys cleaning your toys? does it depend on how often they are used? clean them before VS after practice? Always wondered that stuff.
                    #1 Answer: Yes 10+ rd magazines were legal to purchase for 1 week, and there is a way to track it if you paid w/o cash. However, just because the magazine is "legal" currently (which may be overturned), does not mean your AR pattern rifle as defined by tyrant government is legal to use with now legal magazine. Careful.

#2 I try to clean after ever outing. I am more harsh on my black rifles as they are not collectable.

Comment

2 questions.

Lubrication > Cleaning

Lube every time you shoot, clean off surface dirt/mud/water prior to storage. Maybe run a bore snake. Other than that, probably overkill (22lr being an exception).

I clean around every 500rds, have gone much longer and lower but over cleaning does more premature wear than good. If I’m bored and watching movies I may clean more.

Comment

Originally posted by myinfernalbmw View Post

Great little build, I wish those lowers were available back when I made mine, very clean looking. Nice to see the PCC get so popular, used to be only a couple options for 9mm AR parts. Pretty much just RRA and Hahn when I did mine

Comment

2 questions.

I clean all my guns after every range visit use.

That said, I have a .22, 300 bo, and 12g I use around the house regularly. I clean those randomly.

I agree with others. Lubrication is more important. Modern powder isn't corrosive like black powder is. So, as long as you don't completely neglect your guns, they will be fine.
                          No E30 Club

Comment

Typically I clean mine roughly after 500rds. The exception being .22lr. Those get cleaned after about 200rds or they start to have ftf, and fte. I typically will lube em up when leaving the house for a range trip.

Comment

Rimfire, 380s, revolvers, and anything vintage/nice gets a good cleaning after the range. Build up on the wheel guns cylinder face or gunk under the ejector can cause issues; for some reason our pre-S&W PPK/S starts to gum up after about a 100 rounds (not a huge issue since it's not that much fun to shoot).

Modern stuff? Like everyone said, keep em lubed adequately and they'll be fine. When I had a CCW I was a little more particular, and would be the same if I had a duty piece. Not worth the drama for 10 minutes a week or whatever it takes to do a quick strip and clean of anything modern IMHO.
                              BEERTECH

Comment

Yea I should have been more clear. The .22 is a bolt action I use to feed the dog the random squirrel. (Dog loves them, garden hates them, so it's a win win.

Ditto on the revolver though. Especially if you fire 38 special from a .357! I don't even bother with .38 anymore because that carbon ring is a royal bitch to get rid of and will make .357 cases hard to eject.

Also agreed on the CCW comment! I carried my 1911 for a while and learned fast how quickly a standard steel slide will rust from sweat. I now make it a point to carefully pick my carry guns. Currently carry a Sig p238 and give it a cleaning fairly often.

Also, I found if I'm on vacation at the beach, the only thing I will carry is a Glock or other gun that is known to just work. Carried my p238 a couple years ago and luckily I didn't need it. Sand found it's way in there and it probably wouldn't have functioned. I didn't even take it to the beach, but sand found it's way anyway.
                                No E30 Club

Comment

Working...
                                X