The R3V Bicycle Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dlmrun2002 View Post
    Yeah Cervelo's are the shizzzy. They were kind on the map about 10 years ago when they change the the design of the down tube on road bikes to a squoval( oval and square)
    and then everyone bike company started copying them. Due to slimmed down investors they have been more under the radar the last 5 years or so. That being said the bikes are awesome.

dlm ny country
    Uh, Cervelo has been around since the late 90s. They got their big break when CSC picked them up as a sponsor in 2003. I had a soloist, it was the most terrifying thing I've ever ridden down a hill. Miles of toptube flex, keeping the thing going in a straight line at speed was nearly impossible. On the flats in an aero position, it was fast as hell, but totally unnerving at speed on a descent.

This is still the fastest bike I've ever ridden.

How fast is it?

Yeah, you read that correctly. And it was rock solid, totally stable. If I want to go any faster, I need a 55 tooth big ring.

Will
    '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
    '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
    '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
    '88 BMW M3

Comment

mmmmm campy
      that thing looks like it moves
      1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
        mmmmm campy
        that thing looks like it moves
        Yeah its pretty quick. Its a bike that will punish you for being slow, reward you for pushing your limits. Its my own design. Yes, I took some ideas from Cervelo when I penned it out. Its a 73 degree head angle, 74 degree seat angle, 57cm top tube, with a 54cm standover. The weight balance of the frame is exactly 50/50 so its balance is about as good as it gets. Its very stable in a straight line, but will change direction in the blink of an eye, but do so in a confidence inspiring way. Its also got an 11 inch tall bottom bracket so when I go play in a gutter in a crit, there is zero chance of me striking a pedal. (After riding road bikes with tall bottom brackets, I can't for the life of me see why everyone builds road bikes with low bottom brackets. No, it doesn't make the bike more stable. It makes the bike slow. Its a time trial bike, designed for a sprinter. Once upon a time I was a very good ITT rider, and a sprinter. What is a breakaway in a crit? Its an ITT with sprinting thrown in.

I should also note, the Record group on it dates to about 2010, and its still going strong. ( I don't need 11 spds.)
        Will
        '88 BMW M3

Comment

Super rad. Thanks for the geo info too. I just got my hands on an anvil frame jig so I’ll be making bike frames soon. Looking into torch setups and the like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Super rad. Thanks for the geo info too. I just got my hands on an anvil frame jig so I’ll be making bike frames soon. Looking into torch setups and the like.

Sweet! I've wanted to try my hand at building a frame for years. Just haven't had a frame jig to build one with. Nova Cycle Supply is the cheap place to get tubing. My TiG welding skills with aluminum are nowhere near up to par for a bike frame, but I'm pretty good with a torch and brazing rod. How much did that frame jig set you back?

Will
            '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
              Sweet! I've wanted to try my hand at building a frame for years. Just haven't had a frame jig to build one with. Nova Cycle Supply is the cheap place to get tubing. My TiG welding skills with aluminum are nowhere near up to par for a bike frame, but I'm pretty good with a torch and brazing rod. How much did that frame jig set you back?

Will
              we managed to find one used for $2.7k freighted from Virginia to Oakland, CA. Definitely not cheap but its suuuuuper nice. I just ordered a CX tube set. Signed up for Grinduro in September and hope to be riding a self made frame by then. I will definitely be keeping this thread updated with all the two wheeled happenings in our garage shop. I really want to make a carbon frame some day..
              1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

we managed to find one used for $2.7k freighted from Virginia to Oakland, CA. Definitely not cheap but its suuuuuper nice. I just ordered a CX tube set. Signed up for Grinduro in September and hope to be riding a self made frame by then. I will definitely be keeping this thread updated with all the two wheeled happenings in our garage shop. I really want to make a carbon frame some day..
                Nice score. I'd love to build a stainless steel and ti frame some day. The Reynolds 953 tubeset looks like a sweet concept, but I hear is a serious pain to work with. Titanium is also a serious pain, but there is zero reason to buy a carbon frame when you can buy a Ti one. The ride is amazing. (I've had 5 ti frames, a Litespeed Vortex in 6/4 ti, a Classic in 3/2. The ride on both was amazing, but I hate Litespeed's geometry. I sold both the road bikes, but really want a custom ti road frame. I have a Litespeed built 1993 Marin Team Titanium frame. Double butted tubing, 3.3lbs. I'm trying to decide how to build it up at this point. I also have a '96 Voodoo D-jab. Its a great frame, fantastic geometry, but made in china. The last frame I have is a Seven Verve, essentially a Sola S with straight gauge tubing. Its a bit of a tank, but the craftsmanship is second to none, and the ride is excellent. I'm seriously thinking about stripping all my light parts off the Seven and building the Marin with them. I'd bet it would be a 20lb bike ready to ride.

Will
                '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
                  Nice score. I'd love to build a stainless steel and ti frame some day. The Reynolds 953 tubeset looks like a sweet concept, but I hear is a serious pain to work with. Titanium is also a serious pain, but there is zero reason to buy a carbon frame when you can buy a Ti one. The ride is amazing. (I've had 5 ti frames, a Litespeed Vortex in 6/4 ti, a Classic in 3/2. The ride on both was amazing, but I hate Litespeed's geometry. I sold both the road bikes, but really want a custom ti road frame. I have a Litespeed built 1993 Marin Team Titanium frame. Double butted tubing, 3.3lbs. I'm trying to decide how to build it up at this point. I also have a '96 Voodoo D-jab. Its a great frame, fantastic geometry, but made in china. The last frame I have is a Seven Verve, essentially a Sola S with straight gauge tubing. Its a bit of a tank, but the craftsmanship is second to none, and the ride is excellent. I'm seriously thinking about stripping all my light parts off the Seven and building the Marin with them. I'd bet it would be a 20lb bike ready to ride.

Will
                  well, our jig has a purge setup, so titanium might be in the works someday....:devil:
                  1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

For anyone interested, I'm looking to get rid of my track frame / fixed gear that I don't use anymore. PM me is you're interested!

Its sat in my storage room for 3 years so I think its time to let it go.

Mods / Admins let me know if this isn't allowed, but I figured I would post it here for any bike enthusiasts that are maybe interested.

I purchased it from new and really enjoyed it over the years. Its been taken care of and not abused, but has wear as expected on a bike thats been ridden and used.

I believe its a 53cm frame. Has a fixed gear hub, not a single speed. I have the track drop bars that came with it as well.

Very rare bike, especially as its a first model of the Boroughs frame that came in black.

Steve • Toronto
                    1991 318is • Brillantrot
                    Build Thread

Comment

Maybe you've already done it, but Toronto kijiji would be a good spot for that. (I have no problem with you posting it here, just saying someone in Toronto will probably want it.)

E46t

Comment

Originally posted by leegf View Post
                        Maybe you've already done it, but Toronto kijiji would be a good spot for that. (I have no problem with you posting it here, just saying someone in Toronto will probably want it.)
                        I have it up there too but no bites yet - figured posting it here in case any R3V'ers out there are interested.
                        Steve • Toronto
                        1991 318is • Brillantrot
                        Build Thread

Comment

Finished painting my fuse - getting decals cut for it soon. It looks wild in the sunlight, we used a ton of silver flake in the paint. Here are some photos of the maiden voyage in new skin.

Met a dad on the trails who used to race specE30 as well-if you're on here Peter it was nice to meet you!

1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Two months off the bike, got the "all clear!" to ride today! Took tomorrow off work to go shred some DH. Beyond Stoked.
                            91 318is M50 swapped
                            05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Soooooo stoked to be back on my bike!

91 318is M50 swapped
                              05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

bike

Was your Soloist Carbon? I actually like mine for climbing. I could ride up hills all day long. 61 mph on a bike is fast. I cracked 50 once and it felt fast on those skinny tires.
                                My chronology was off on the Cervelo but they are still making nice bikes. When they came out with the S5, they had some production problems with the finish on bottom bracket area but I think that has been fixed.

dlm ny country
                                [

QUOTE=BlackbirdM3;4905100]Uh, Cervelo has been around since the late 90s. They got their big break when CSC picked them up as a sponsor in 2003. I had a soloist, it was the most terrifying thing I've ever ridden down a hill. Miles of toptube flex, keeping the thing going in a straight line at speed was nearly impossible. On the flats in an aero position, it was fast as hell, but totally unnerving at speed on a descent.

This is still the fastest bike I've ever ridden.

How fast is it?

Yeah, you read that correctly. And it was rock solid, totally stable. If I want to go any faster, I need a 55 tooth big ring.

Will[/QUOTE]

Comment

Working...
                                X