No announcement yet.

Official Aviation Thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had never really thought of it in those terms, but yes it does. In all configirations: flaps, spoilers, climb, descent, auto thrust on or off......there is simply no electric pitch switch anywhere in the cockpit controllable by the pilot. As I mentioned above, this does actually bring up an interesting question if there were a trim runaway situation. I guess it's never happened in this plane.
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

I don't want to change the subject, but I just saw this cool shot of the last Concorde flight, late November 2003. Photographer Lewis Whyld was hanging off the skid of a helicopter at 3000', the Concorde was at 1500'. He was moving, the plane was moving, it was very cold, he wanted the bridge in the shot, he had one chance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	http---cdn.cnn.com-cnnnext-dam-assets-181120125119-swns-concorde-final-flight.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	7198386

And a cockpit for you pilots...
      Click image for larger version

Name:	http---cdn.cnn.com-cnnnext-dam-assets-180226121746-concord-29.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	7198387

Now, back to discussion of trim and elevators!

Comment

That is wild! Never seen that picture before. Thanks for sharing!
        89' 325ix Diamantschwarz/Black rattle can...

Insta: r_moose_w

Originally posted by flyboyx
        I imagine her smelling like spoiled milk and having a half inch crust of doodoo circumnavigating her butthole.

Comment

The 787 (FBW as well) has trim switches, just no trim wheel. In the air the trim works as a speed trim, so if you move the trim switches the computers change the reference speed. They'll streamline the stabilizer and elevators to achieve the minimum drag. There's a stabilizer non-normal checklist similar to the trim runaway checklist on the 737.

Comment

Any sUAS ? Or need a separate thread?
            ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
              Unfortunately, the voice recorder is buried in the sea mud, it should answer those questions.
              When are they going to find that thing? How deep can it be?

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
                Any sUAS ? Or need a separate thread?
                What is that? Undesired aircraft state?
                sigpic
                Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                  What is that? Undesired aircraft state?
                  Dronez, dawg.
                  ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Separate thread...

j/k

Comment

Lion Air Crash - Reuters :

"JAKARTA (Reuters) - Bureaucratic wrangling and funding problems have hampered the search for the cockpit voice recorder of a crashed Lion Air jet, prompting investigators to turn to the airline to foot the bill in a rare test of global norms on the probe’s independence."

"Weeks of delays in the search for the second ‘black box’ may complicate the task of explaining how 189 people died when the Lion Air Boeing 737 MAX crashed into the Java Sea on Oct. 29.

Indonesian investigators told Reuters budgetary constraints and the need for approvals had limited efforts to raise the main wreckage and find the cockpit voice recorder (CVR), thought to hold vital clues to Indonesia’s second-worst air disaster.

“We don’t have further funds to rent the ship,” a source at Indonesia’s transport safety committee (KNKT) said, in reference to specialized equipment needed for the search.

“There is no emergency fund for us, because there is no legal basis,” the source said, speaking on condition of anonymity."

“We have already asked the coordinating minister for the economy, but there is no regulation and it would need to be discussed by the parliament,” the source added.

The source said Lion Air’s insurers had been approached to pay the bill.

A source at Lion Air said its insurers had been reluctant to pay for the search and so the airline had stepped in.

The clock is ticking in the hunt for acoustic pings coming from the L3 Technologies Inc cockpit voice recorder fitted to the jet. It has a 90-day beacon, according to an online brochure from the manufacturer.

Safety experts say it is unusual for one of the parties to help fund an investigation. Under United Nations rules, such probes must be conducted independently to maintain trust in any recommendations made to prevent future accidents."

Comment

About what I'd expect from this situation in a developing nation.

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
                        Dronez, dawg.
                        I'm surprised there isn't an active model aviation thread considering the popularity of "drones." I fly RC planes, helicopters and quadcopters, and I build and modify quads for people as a side job.

IG @turbovarg
                        '91 318is, M20 turbo
                        [CoTM: 4-18]
                        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                        - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                          I'm surprised there isn't an active model aviation thread considering the popularity of "drones." I fly RC planes, helicopters and quadcopters, and I build and modify quads for people as a side job.
                          Are you into all that fpv jazz? I had a little 5" quad setup awhile back but sold it for e30ix parts. Definitely miss it.

Originally posted by tttoon View Post
                          Separate thread...

j/k
                          ^

sUAS pilots aren't real pilots :D

On another note, just before Christmas I passed my Commercial checkride so I can finally make some money doing something I love. Crazy to think that about 1.5 years ago I started flying and now I have 250 hours and a commercial rating. Now onto the CFI shenanigans.

I imagine her smelling like spoiled milk and having a half inch crust of doodoo circumnavigating her butthole.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatM20Guy View Post
                            Are you into all that fpv jazz? I had a little 5" quad setup awhile back but sold it for e30ix parts. Definitely miss it.

^

sUAS pilots aren't real pilots :D

On another note, just before Christmas I passed my Commercial checkride so I can finally make some money doing something I love. Crazy to think that about 1.5 years ago I started flying and now I have 250 hours and a commercial rating. Now onto the CFI shenanigans.
                            bad....asss!!!!!!!!!

congratulations man!!!! what is your plan from here?
                            sigpic
                            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                              bad....asss!!!!!!!!!

congratulations man!!!! what is your plan from here?
                              Thanks!

For the short term the plan is to get my CFI next semester and then instruct for K-State until I graduate (2 Years).

Once I graduate (assuming I do ) I am hoping to get on with an ANG wing and fly A-10's or F-16's. If that doesn't work out then I am thinking about flying corporate or maybe going to Republic. Not sure yet. I definitely have some fun times ahead!

Comment

since you have 250hrs, I am guessing you need 1500 for your atp? this summer, my son scored a job with 230 hrs at an aerial survey company based out of south bend. I think he is a little north of 700 right now. he can get a regional job with 1000.
                                sigpic
                                Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X