Official Aviation Thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FLYNAVY View Post
    Great pics.....how many AD's were flying in that picture? Pretty cool, I bet that was some good noise!
    There were apparently 4 Skyraiders at Oshkosh, I only saw 3, and yes all 3 were flying at one time.

Talk about noise, at one point I was standing in the vicinity of 40K+ hp... 4 P51s, 3 Skyraiders, 3 F4U Corsairs, 2 F7F Tigercats, 1 Bearcat, A B17 and a B29. They were all idling at the end of the runway. It was epic. I couldn't get them all in a single pic, but I did get a few from the end of the runway as they were taking off.

Skyraiders....

Will
    '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
    '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
    '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
    '88 BMW M3

Comment

on this note, I was perusing through a copy of Sport Aviation at 38,000 feet today and look what I came across....

I saw three images with Will's name on them. congratulations buddy.
      sigpic
      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
        on this note, I was perusing through a copy of Sport Aviation at 38,000 feet today and look what I came across....

I saw three images with Will's name on them. congratulations buddy.
        There are 4 shots in there, and thanks. (The Skyraiders, Seaplane base, the lightning shot, and a shot of the Bleriot on page 90.) Considering the level of epic shots in there, to have 4 shots is pretty special. The only other two people to have 4 were the EAA's intern who also had four, and my friend Connor Madison who is the head EAA photographer (he had 5.) I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing you will see more of my stuff in there over the next few months. They haven't used a few pics that I feel are far better than any of the ones used in the magazine so far.

I'm trying to get 10-20 shots a day processed, I still have 2500 on the current card that I haven't even looked at. That doesn't include all the stuff I shot with the wide angle lens on the other camera.

Will
        '88 BMW M3

Comment

Transferred these from glass slides to the computer. First two was labeled Paris VE-Day May 1945. The rest was labeled Belgium Airfield Winter 44/45.

1992 BMW 325iC
          1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
          1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

^
            Great slides! Very neat to see some P-61s in Europe.

Comment

And in color to boot!!! Have many upon many slides to go through, all in color from 1936 to late 70s I believe. The guy was a graduate of Harvard, and was a Dr. Not sure what kind of Dr., and I think picture taking was his hobby. He traveled the world. Many cool pictures that you'd expect to see in National Geographic or LIFE magazines.

1992 BMW 325iC
              1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
              1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Yeah those are some great in theater shots and of the RARE P61 Black Widow too boot....
                Originally posted by Fusion
                If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                William Pitt-

Comment

wow great pics.....please share more when you have them!
                  e92 M3
                  e30 M3 s52 swap
                  w203 C240 wagon (DD)
                  190e 5.6 swap (in surgery)

Comment

Wow, those are cool! B26 Invaders, A20 Havocs, P38s, and P61s. To put those into perspective, there are perhaps 10 flying B26 Invaders, 1 A20 Havoc, about a dozen P38s and zero flying Black Widows (although one is being very slowly rebuilt to fly.)

I'm still wading though my Oshkosh pics. I'm finally into my static shots (only 600 more to go and I'll be done....)

Will
                    '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
                      Transferred these from glass slides to the computer. First two was labeled Paris VE-Day May 1945. The rest was labeled Belgium Airfield Winter 44/45.

Wow, these are fantastic. More powerful than just airplane pics. History like you were there.

Comment

Went to the Stuart Airshow today, saw a couple of planes that I haven't seen in a long time (or ever, like this Vampire). If I find any more photos worth sharing I'll post up as I go through them.

Last edited by varg; 11-03-2018, 04:34 PM.

IG @turbovarg
                        '91 318is, M20 turbo
                        [CoTM: 4-18]
                        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                        - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                          Went to the Stuart Airshow today, saw a couple of planes that I haven't seen in a long time (or ever, like this Vampire). If I find any more photos worth sharing I'll post up as I go through them.

Vampires are cool. There are only 5 or so that fly in the world, so to see one flying is a special thing. Nice shot.

Will
                          '88 BMW M3

Comment

Questions for commercial pilots out there on this Indonesian crash -
                            (and I'm a total layman so I may be asking stupid questions...)

If the speed sensors are not working correctly, or they're sending conflicting information to the flight computers, and the plane is flying erratically, can't the pilot turn off the autopilot and take charge and throttle up to get it in the air? Gain some altitude, figure out what's going on? "Aviate" first? Are they not taught to ignore the computer and fly?

Isn't this similar to the Air France plane that went down in the Atlantic, where the pitot tubes froze up, confused the computer, the pilots were fooled by the alarms, and let it stall?

They were flying for something like 13 minutes - I realize the computer is often more efficient and takes the plane on the perfect climb path. But in that 13 minutes, wouldn't you sense the slowing and the dropping and just crank up the throttles? The flight graphs published last week showed a crazy sloppy path that never climbed above 4000', with big drops, erratic speeds and course.

It's got to be incredibly frustrating in an emergency to have the machine contradict the instruments, or ignore your input. I'm interested to hear your experience and training.

Comment

Nose down / nose up

"The bulletin from Boeing will alert airlines that erroneous readings from a flight-monitoring system can cause the planes to abruptly dive, said the person, who asked not to be named discussing details of the manufacturer’s plans. Boeing will warn pilots to follow an existing procedure to handle the problem, the person said.

The warning is based on preliminary findings from the accident involving a Lion Air jetliner, the person said. Under some circumstances, such as when pilots are manually flying, the Max jets will automatically try to push down the nose if they detect that an aerodynamic stall is possible, the person said.

One of the critical ways a plane determines if a stall is imminent is a measurement known as angle of attack, which is a calculation of the angle at which the wind is passing over the wings."

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                                Questions for commercial pilots out there on this Indonesian crash -
                                (and I'm a total layman so I may be asking stupid questions...)

If the speed sensors are not working correctly, or they're sending conflicting information to the flight computers, and the plane is flying erratically, can't the pilot turn off the autopilot and take charge and throttle up to get it in the air? Gain some altitude, figure out what's going on? "Aviate" first? Are they not taught to ignore the computer and fly?

Isn't this similar to the Air France plane that went down in the Atlantic, where the pitot tubes froze up, confused the computer, the pilots were fooled by the alarms, and let it stall?

They were flying for something like 13 minutes - I realize the computer is often more efficient and takes the plane on the perfect climb path. But in that 13 minutes, wouldn't you sense the slowing and the dropping and just crank up the throttles? The flight graphs published last week showed a crazy sloppy path that never climbed above 4000', with big drops, erratic speeds and course.

It's got to be incredibly frustrating in an emergency to have the machine contradict the instruments, or ignore your input. I'm interested to hear your experience and training.
                                Slowing and dropping can happen so gradually that its hard to sense sometimes. One of the early Lockheed A-12s or SR-71s (I can't remember off the top of my head) was lost due to an erroneous pitot tube. The Blackbird was flying with an F101 Voodoo as chase, eventually the F101 pulled off saying that he could no longer fly that slowly and was wondering what the Blackbird pilot was doing. Blackbird pilot answered back that everything was in the green and there was no issue. Shortly thereafter the Blackbird stalled, the pilot and RSO punched out and the plane was lost.

Yes there should be a stall warning that goes off, but when everything is flown by the computer, and not by the pilot, I can totally see how a pilot could miss all the warning signs. Especially without a direct connection to the control surfaces. You don't feel the buffet at the control yolk, so you don't know that the wing is about to lose all lift. With the computer thinking everything is good, and no direct attachment to the control surfaces, I think it would be very easy to stall, even at a low angle of attack and down you go.

Edit, Ken Collins was the pilot, it was an A12. Here is the story. https://theaviationgeekclub.com/time...inverted-spin/
                                Will
                                Last edited by BlackbirdM3; 11-07-2018, 02:04 PM.
                                '88 BMW M3

Comment

Working...
                                X