No announcement yet.

Knife Thread: All about Knives and other edged tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guess I can post something up in this thread now, my grandmother just gave me this pocket knife tonight, it used to belong to my great-grandfather, who died when I was about 5 or 6. It's about 80 years old, and is marked "IMPERIAL" on the large blade, and "U.S.A." on the smaller one. I think the black parts are ebony, they're definitely not plastic. I'm pretty stoked to have it, I'm going to carry it on me at all times. I don't remember my great-grandfather THAT well, being pretty young when he died, but I have some good memories of him.

Comment

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
      Guess I can post something up in this thread now, my grandmother just gave me this pocket knife tonight, it used to belong to my great-grandfather, who died when I was about 5 or 6. It's about 80 years old, and is marked "IMPERIAL" on the large blade, and "U.S.A." on the smaller one. I think the black parts are ebony, they're definitely not plastic. I'm pretty stoked to have it, I'm going to carry it on me at all times. I don't remember my great-grandfather THAT well, being pretty young when he died, but I have some good memories of him.
      That's cool, I hope to get some personal items of my grandfathers when he dies.....which is hopefully not for a while. I'd really like to have my Great-grandfathers Master Free Mason gold ring and my Grampa's M1 Garand, Mauser and Colts.

Well, posterity, you will never know what it cost us to preserve your freedom. I only hope that you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it.
      ~ John Adams ~

Comment

Josh if it were me. I would get some 2200 grit sand paper, and some 3000 grit polishing compound plus some supper fine finishing compound and clean up all the metal and blades, put a good edge on them and carry it when not going to work or when you dont stand much chance of losing it. You dont want to lose something like that, its in really good shape, and nice heirloom

I have my Grandpa's pocket knife (he passed on last fall) and it never leaves the safe, I dont want to lose it, as it means the world to me.
        Originally posted by Fusion
        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
        William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by Janderson View Post

That knife is not replacable. You'd be crazy to carry that. Keep it somewhere safe and get yourself something else to carry.
          sigpic
          "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill

Comment

So i bought a cheap Sheffield knife from home depot to use at work. i do construction so i don't really want to buy a decent knife that will probably rust and get gummed up with crap.

Anyways my question is what kind of steel do i want my knife to be made out of. i heard stainless isnt good. its to weak and doesn't hold a edge well. but i see alot of knives that say 440 A stainless it think??

I was thinking about buying this-

And not for any paticular use just to have i guess. any ensight would be great.

thank you
            dylan

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What type of construction are you in and what will you be cutting mostly.

Are you in the dirt, mud and concrete all the time.

give me something to go on. I have worked in construction all my life in several trades and it can make a difference in the knife you want.

For a just a general knife, you cant go wrong with a benchmade but lately have been carrying a CRKT mini my tighe
              If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
              The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
              William Pitt-

Comment

60 Euros plus 19% sales tax plus shipping? So, you're looking at something like $125 USD to your door. That's a LOT of money for that knife! You can do much, much better for that kind of scratch.

For an all-around workhorse knife, it's tough to beat a Spyderco Endura. It's a classic design. It's flat and very easy to carry. Great edge geometry and quality steel (VG-10 = one of my favorites).

The Benchmade Vex is a screaming deal right now. I bought one as a gift for a buddy of mine. They sell for just $40 these days.

The new Benchmade Torrent looks pretty exciting, too. It's much more expensive (USA-made), but still less that that knife you posted!

sigpic
                1987 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16: Vintage Racer
                2010 BMW (E90) 335xi sedan: Grocery Getter

Comment

There are many steel choices that are suitable.

VG-10 is a great all around steel.

For a great edge, CPM-S30V or CPM-S90V

Not sure where you will be working, but if you're working in a harsh environment with lots of moisture where rust is an issue(especially true if in contact with salt water) check out H1.
                  sigpic
                  "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill

Comment

thanks for the reply's.

mrsleeve- i do a lot different things, technically the company i work for is demolition. but its slow right now so we do work around a scrap yard. my boss owns a cat 345 excavator with a 10500lb la'bounty steel cutting shear

(http://www.stanleyhydraulic.com/Prod...8/Default.aspx)

on it right now so i run that sometimes. anyways the last 3 days.. i dug a 150'X2' trench with a little ex. for an electrical line. put gravel in that compacted it with a jumping jack and then we had concrete come and poor today. and when i wasn't doing that i was using a 4' cutting torch to cut scrap. so i used my knife to clean the tip of slag, cut some zip ties, bag random things.
                    sorry for this rant but like i said not anything particular.

emre- you have a good point that is alot of bills for that knife. i just have a thing about german things i like that the company made knifes for the german army and they also made the german paratrooper gravity knife in wwII which doesnt really have much of a prepuce other then to cut their para shoot cord. but still thinks its cool.

i am kinda thinking about getting a bunchmade knife seems like lots of guys have them in this thread.

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ok bro I used to be a heavy construction laborer on water sewer crew (pipe layer) Now we did lots of odd ball site work, and other small odd jobs in the winter when shit got slow or just when ever.

I will give you some advice have a good knife and keep it sharp. I used to carry a good Benchmade AFO (the big one) auto opener in just a plain blade. in one pocket and in the other I had a 22 dollar Gerber that was plain drop point blade with good thick blade on it used it for all the stuff that would destroy knives like prying, digging at stuff, cutting anything that would damage a good blade and most importantly the lend out knife.

Once people find out you have a good knife on you all the time (like any good construction worker should) they will want to barrow it all the time and you will not get it back. I have lost many a knife in this way. My AFO was my knife and no one got to use it as they would fuck up my Gerber on rocks or pry on shit that kinda stuff.

William Pitt-

Comment

mrsleeve- thanks for the advise thats good idea.
                        what do you do now for work?

Comment

Still in construction just an Industrial Raidographer (X-ray/inspector) now mostly on cross country oil and gas pipelines, got out of the laborers and now I am in the operators. Will do this till the industry slows down, and then go back to pulling levers on a water sewer crew.

I still carry at least one knife and it hard to break the 2 knives at work habit as people (form other trades) and what ever crew I am chasing around still come up and bug me to barrow a knife all the dam time.

William Pitt-

Comment

mrsleeve- so do you keep your gun in your truck at work then?

Comment

depends on the job and the state I am in

but if i can I have all the time

William Pitt-

Comment

ive been noticing alot of people have para shoot cord on their knives. why is this?

Comment

Working...
                                X