No announcement yet.

Knife Thread: All about Knives and other edged tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I concur with you sleeve about that Spartan being a sweet looking blade. My problem is that when I use my knives with coated blades I hate how they look once they're well loved and scratched to shit. I don't have any safe queens either, some just get used harder than others. The nice thing about the CR knives is that you can send them in for refinishing for a nominal fee.

I will always recommend the Spyderco Delica as a cheap entry level/edc knife. I have 3 and even though I have a lot of "nicer" quality and higher end blades, I still pocket the Delica frequently. Perfect size edc blade for most cutting chores and VG10 is so easy to sharpen even the inexperienced could put a useable edge on it.

I also had the same problem happen to my Leek that Farbin experienced. The little plastic lock is just a thin pos that snaps off with relative ease. That said, I've never had a problem with the knife opening in my pocket even with the broken lock.

Comment

Originally posted by myinfernalbmw View Post
      I also had the same problem happen to my Leek that Farbin experienced. The little plastic lock is just a thin pos that snaps off with relative ease. That said, I've never had a problem with the knife opening in my pocket even with the broken lock.
      I'm usually always in cargo Dickies, and there is a nice pocket that is inside the cargo pocket, and that's where I put this one, but it has popped open and stuck itself in the pocket and been a pain. I would say it's opened at least once or twice a month on me and it's an EDC. Never cut myself because I know it's possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
        I've owned two Kershaw Leek's in different sizes, both Snap-On versions, and the slide lock is plastic and broke very quickly, and really pissed me off. I wouldn't buy a third because of that flaw.

And, I'm guessing I must be on Blackbird M3's ignore/block list.
        Are you talking about the little plastic L shaped thing at the end of the knife? Why would you even use that? I've carried a leek daily for several years now and have never used it. I have it tighten down out of the way. Never had the blade open in my pocket. The spring assist holds it closed under spring pressure, so...

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
          Are you talking about the little plastic L shaped thing at the end of the knife? Why would you even use that? I've carried a leek daily for several years now and have never used it. I have it tighten down out of the way. Never had the blade open in my pocket. The spring assist holds it closed under spring pressure, so...

Yes, the blade lock. When it was there, I kept my knife much sharper, now that it's not, it's fairly dull in comparison. Maybe in a nice clean machinists workshop you never bump into anything, but I'll tell you on a ranch in the real world, an assisted open knife can and will pop open when bumping into fences, squee shoots, and climbing on equipment, not to mention climbing down riverbanks to fish.

I'm not gonna argue with you, oh high and mighty leatherman machinist. I bow at your obviously more proficient knife-in-pocket abilities.

Comment

Da fuck?

I was just asking a legitimate question. Why all the attitude?

And to say a machine shop is clean is like saying an auto shop is clean. They don't have go-jo dispensers by all the sinks for nothing. You should see the pocket clip on my knife. It's all scratched to hell from bumping into things.

Comment

The attitude that you've never had it happen, blah, blah, blah, followed by "So..." was what I took offense to. As if I were lying, and it's just some little doodad, that would be like asking why someone sets a firearm to SAFE when it's being transported in a pocket.

I took it as attitude from you, so I threw a little back. If none was intended, and you weren't calling out my ability to safely carry an assisted pocket knife, I apologize for my attitude.

Comment

Yeah, I was honestly wondering, no attitude. And I really have never had a problem with it opening in my pocket, which is why I was wondering why you used it. In my experience, it isn't needed. You've obviously experienced different.

Comment

I've read that some people tighten the pivot and it won't open unless you try, mine has never been adjusted and is how it comes from factory, and it opens with a very light touch. Maybe that's my issue.

Comment

I love Cutco Knives

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
                      Yes, the blade lock. When it was there, I kept my knife much sharper, now that it's not, it's fairly dull in comparison. Maybe in a nice clean machinists workshop you never bump into anything, but I'll tell you on a ranch in the real world, an assisted open knife can and will pop open when bumping into fences, squee shoots, and climbing on equipment, not to mention climbing down riverbanks to fish.

I'm not gonna argue with you, oh high and mighty leatherman machinist. I bow at your obviously more proficient knife-in-pocket abilities.
                      I'm still unsure about my speedsafe knife. It was a gift so I'm going to use it, but it wouldn't be something I'd have bought myself. Here's a design which really turns me off though...

Comment

The wave feature rocks unless you want to pull your knife out slowly. Care must be given upon a slow draw.

Comment

Yeah, no thanks.

I absolutely love the speed safe on my Leek though. Probably the best thing about it.

Comment

Just bought this guy a couple weeks back: http://www.benchmade.com/products/162
                            Got it got for backpacking and "stuff" lol. Gotta love S30V.

Comment

One more I wrapped yesterday:

sigpic
                              "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill

Comment

Here's some knives my buddy makes. Does everything himself including the sheaths.

He's began selling them as well if anyone is interested.

Originally posted by blunttech
                                Dude this is r3v. 20 bucks gets you a used timing belt or a low mileage head gasket

Comment

Working...
                                X