Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knife Thread: All about Knives and other edged tools

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by myinfernalbmw View Post
    What is your budget and what tasks do you expect the knife to perform? James Brand makes cool looking knives with good steel, but in my opinion the price tag is comprised of about 30% marketing hype. For $150 less than the James you can get a similarly sized Chris Reeve Nyala which would be my personal choice. Their folders are the benchmark for premium production knives, and their fixed blades receive the same attention to detail. Benchmade has a bushcraft knife that is half the price of the James. Boker makes a few bushcraft style knives that would fit that bill and are still "nicer" knives. A cheapo Mora would work and they're easy to sharpen in the field. It all comes down to budget and what you expect the knife to be able to do.
    I need a knife for basic field craft, cooking, cleaning fish, whittling kindling, cutting rope. I have some bench made folders I have been issued, but I am going to Canada (so automatic knives are a no go) for a couple weeks of hiking and honestly, there have been enough grizzly deaths in the area that I think i would rather a fixed blade on my belt if spray fails. I have a Mora, but the profiles sucks for cooking, which is silly but i do enough camping, sometimes canoe camping where I have things to cut and not just dehydrated backpacking meals.
    I was looking at the ESEE PR4 and Boker, had not looked at Chris Reeve, will definitely check them out.

    Comment


      That makes sense then. I have a handful of Esee knives and am a fan. While they aren't super steel, they have their 1095 heat treat down and they perform as advertised. The PR4 looks like it would fit the bill well as do the 4 and 5HM. I just wish the latter were uncoated for food prep. If Chris Reeve had a Nyala that was 5" long I think that would be just about the perfect do-all knife.

      Comment


        Originally posted by eternal24k View Post
        anyone know of a decent knife with a profile similar to the James Brand Hell Gap? I just can't bring myself to buy a $400 knife but want a decent backpacking knife, this profile looks great for cooking in the field
        have you looked in to Bark River? Still not a cheap blade, but very well made, very highly prized by those that have them and have a pretty decent following in the bush craft / primitive survival communities, but about 1/2 the cost of the James Brand.....

        here is good option in the profile your looking at.

        https://www.dlttrading.com/bark-river-bravo-1-3v-lt
        Originally posted by Fusion
        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville


        The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

        Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
        William Pitt-

        Comment


          Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
          have you looked in to Bark River? Still not a cheap blade, but very well made, very highly prized by those that have them and have a pretty decent following in the bush craft / primitive survival communities, but about 1/2 the cost of the James Brand.....



          here is good option in the profile your looking at.



          https://www.dlttrading.com/bark-river-bravo-1-3v-lt


          More than I wanted to spend ($250 on sale) but several beautiful knives that have the profile I want.

          Comment


            After digging around I found several from LionSteel in a profile and price range I am into, anyone know of them?

            Comment


              Originally posted by eternal24k View Post
              After digging around I found several from LionSteel in a profile and price range I am into, anyone know of them?
              I know they make a good folder, but I can't speak to their fixed blades.

              Comment


                Originally posted by myinfernalbmw View Post
                I know they make a good folder, but I can't speak to their fixed blades.
                Agreed
                Originally posted by Fusion
                If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville


                The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

                Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                William Pitt-

                Comment


                  I really like my Gerber Profile for camping use. Had a dude make a kydex sheath for it and it's served me well for years. Not high end at all, definitely a budget choice.
                  BEERTECH

                  Comment


                    Pretty sure I posted this at some point in the past, but I recently pulled this pocket tank out of the safe. After about a decade of ownership I'm probably going to part with it. I haven't carried it in years and the after being discontinued for years now, the secondary prices have kind of jumped the shark. This was my first "expensive" knife purchase, but now the're going for ~4 times what I paid for it. My previous grail knife will hopefully help fund another grail, only in handgun form.

                    Last edited by myinfernalbmw; 07-12-2019, 01:12 PM.

                    Comment


                      Been carrying this guy for about a week. One of the cool things about working for Leatherman is I sometimes get to try out new products before they are released to the public.

                      It's a well made knife and feels good in the hand, but is not my style, just too big. It's noticable if you have it clipped in your pocket. The K2 would be better for me I think.
                      Attached Files
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                        What's the blade made out of?

                        I like it!
                        No E30 Club
                        Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                        Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                          What's the blade made out of?

                          I like it!
                          420HC, but premium versions with better blade steel are in the works.
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                            I had a custom made butterfly knife when I was in the Philippines last year. I stayed with my friend's family and his uncle is a famous bladesmith in that area. He made one for me. Sad thing is that I had to leave the knife there because of the airport security. Doesn't even have a pic of it.

                            Comment


                              I ended up finding a Helle knife i liked, the Utvaer, then found they sell blanks for $110 less than the knife so I picked one up and tried out making scales from some maple off the property. Overall happy for my first go, I have some spalted birch i found that I hope to use when I am better at it...








                              Originally posted by eternal24k View Post

                              I need a knife for basic field craft, cooking, cleaning fish, whittling kindling, cutting rope. I have some bench made folders I have been issued, but I am going to Canada (so automatic knives are a no go) for a couple weeks of hiking and honestly, there have been enough grizzly deaths in the area that I think i would rather a fixed blade on my belt if spray fails. I have a Mora, but the profiles sucks for cooking, which is silly but i do enough camping, sometimes canoe camping where I have things to cut and not just dehydrated backpacking meals.
                              I was looking at the ESEE PR4 and Boker, had not looked at Chris Reeve, will definitely check them out.

                              Comment


                                ^
                                Neat, basic, but nice!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X